Server Suggestion Drawing and Holstering Sound

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Drawing and Holstering Sound
Suggestion Description: A katana when taken out of holster should make an unsheathing or metallic sound, a gun when drawn should make an unholstering sound. Sound cues are very important and tactically advantageous to listen out for so not having them is very sadly missed out on when people can use those to level up the realism behind every gun fight. The immersion which it will bring, combine that with the added element of knowing when someone pulled something out, can be really amazing to have.

Without it one moment we're sitting there looking at a sign and another second some guy silently draws a gun from behind and shoots us or stabs us with a melee. There is no sound cue or no way of hearing any metallic noise to warn you.

An example of Punishment and Reward is:
Players who are in danger can tell when danger has come as a reward if they listen.

Players in a gunfight who go to heal will produce a gun holster sound making it not as easy to silently quick heal while in the midst of a gunfight.

Why should this be added?:
- Sound Immersion
- Leveling up the tactical capability of engagements
- Realistic to the way gunfights go down which enhances overall immersion
- Punishing and rewarding in a good way

What negatives could this have?:
- Can be hard with the sound design aspect
- Can be impossible to implement based on the script's limitations

Useful Images:

Reaction score
You mention realism but people don't necessarily carry a concealable firearm inside a holster. A lot of people just carry it tucked between their pants and body, which produces almost no sound. Same for a knife you carry in your pocket. The drawing SFX you provided sounds like you're playing with legos.

Anyway, if realism was what we were shooting for, bandaging shouldn't make sound either. Humans aren't that great detecting sound compared to other animals and it definitely shouldn't sound like you're ripping paper apart 10 sheets at a time.

Without it one moment we're sitting there looking at a sign and another second some guy silently draws a gun from behind and shoots us or stabs us with a melee. There is no sound cue or no way of hearing any metallic noise to warn you.
You wouldn't have a warning in real life either. To avoid these situations frankly you're better off doing what people do IRL, outside at night: be aware of your surroundings, look to your sides and behind you.

Reaction score
You mention realism but people don't necessarily carry a concealable firearm inside a holster. A lot of people just carry it tucked between their pants and body, which produces almost no sound. Same for a knife you carry in your pocket. The drawing SFX you provided sounds like you're playing with legos.

Anyway, if realism was what we were shooting for, bandaging shouldn't make sound either. Humans aren't that great detecting sound compared to other animals and it definitely shouldn't sound like you're ripping paper apart 10 sheets at a time.

You wouldn't have a warning in real life either. To avoid these situations frankly you're better off doing what people do IRL, outside at night: be aware of your surroundings, look to your sides and behind you.
If you have a bandage you're gonna need to cut it and wrap it properly so I said realism in a certain context not totally, if you're gonna be extreme about it we can even go as far as to say bandages have to need scissors to cut and they don't cut off bleeding instantly but no we're just talking about the sound of guns here not bandages.

It's fair to say that realistically concealed guns wouldn't make sound when drawn but you'd hear some sort of sound cue which is what I was pointing for. That sound cue will be some sort of metallic sound, this even helps improve the current problem with directional sound being an issue where players can't tell where shots are coming from so at least having more sound cues to help them locate their shooter is a good idea in my opinion.

I poorly showed an example of a sound cue in my post due to a lack of knowledge of where to find good sounds other than looking at some unmentioned insurgency sandstorm video where it wouldn't make sense unless we mention cops because it's a soldier.

Strolling off that idea, What about cops at least getting that sound? I believe cops are the exception to that concealed weapon argument.

Reaction score
Your first paragraph is right (although you're still not hearing someone in the floor below or through a door cut a bandage), but that is the problem, it's an argument against your own suggestion because you're basing it on increased immersion and realism.

I really do not think it's necessary, yes it would apply to cops but again you're countering your own arguments, you mentioned the problem was someone taking a gun or knife and shooting/stabbing you unaware. Cops won't do that unless you have a weapon out and have a good reason to... in other scenarios cops also use verbal warnings and announce themselves which is enough of a sound cue.

This also does not help the directional sound problem at all, because it is more of a long-range issue (as mentioned in my suggestion, not being able to tell if shots were fired at car dealer or business shops if you're in bazaar) whereas obviously if you hear someone take a gun out it's going to be over a short range of a couple of meters.