Footstep sounds should be based on player movement state, not movement speed. (Silent steps while aiming down sights)

Reaction score
Description of the idea:
Sound is an important aspect in this gamemode, especially when attracting attention with guns. However, player footsteps are potentially not managed well (or at all) by the gamemode at all and are almost completely dependent by movement speed. This makes footsteps extremely unreliable in it's current state to be used properly. Walking causes "occasional" stepping noises, but sometimes it's muted depending on distance. Aiming down gun sights (Extremely important!) is completely silent due to reaching under a movement speed threshold slower then walking.

Why should this be added? (pros):
The reason this should be added or fixed up to be more constant is so that "noise" can be relied on more. Player movement states should define how loud and how far sound steps travel already so that people who want to muffle their footsteps need to be in a crouched (and slow) position, while others preparing for a proper shot or tactically moving still make some sound. Even if it's made not to make much sound at all, it's still better for it to be more relied on.

What negatives could this have? (cons):
This is inherently a balance change, as aiming down sights and moving would cause more reliable foot steps and your opponent to more reliably zone in on you.

Reaction score
This is a Roleplay server not a Realism FPS.

I think this is a bit excessive for a server like this. It would probably also take a huge amount of time to actually make this and I don't think it would be worth the time.

Reaction score
This isn't a great idea to spend time on development. Not to mention, it's not exactly worth it as crouching doesn't make a sound, where as running and sprinting does.

Reaction score
This is a Roleplay server not a Realism FPS.

This statement is a slight oxymoron, but a valid point either way. Still, a primary part of this server is about the shooting and the "gang violence" in general. The quality of the actual shooting, and every part of it, should be accounted for.

You already can “sneak” by walking and crouching.

Yes. You can also sneak by simply aiming down your gun sight. Or stutter-stepping in your walk. It's relatively unreliable to be used as an actual sound source compared to other sounds. (Like lockpicking, crowbaring, guns itself) This is mostly the basis of my suggestion.

I think this is a bit excessive for a server like this. It would probably also take a huge amount of time to actually make this and I don't think it would be worth the time.

It's probably able to be done in a sweet 2 hour afternoon coding session, but you are correct that something like this is a bit low priority.

Reaction score
I swear this still makes sound you just can’t personally hear it

Yep. Effectively the main reason why I make this suggestion.

This isn't a great idea to spend time on development. Not to mention, it's not exactly worth it as crouching doesn't make a sound, where as running and sprinting does.

Again, fine point. But a proper development workflow can still put priority and "good" suggestions can still be filled. I rather not every suggestion be subjected to "It's not worth the effort" unless it's grossly out of scope.

And trust me, simply testing step sounds and potentially modifying range/volume on movement state is not the hardest thing to do.