Garry's Mod fullscreen doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It straight up doesn't work in fullscreen, I get a seizure with a flickering screen whenever I switch to it.

Troubleshooting steps I've run:

-Clean Gmod via the factory reset.bat
-Do another clean with these launch commands and disable Steam Cloud so it doesn't automatically use my .cfg
Code:
-novid -autoconfig -default +host_writeconfig config.cfg full +mat_savechanges +quit
-Display drivers and everything else is up to date, last re-installations were with DDU as well.

Probable culprits:

-My AMD GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT).
-My Windows 10 installation for some reason.

Current solution:

Run Garry's Mod in borderless fullscreen.
Cons:
Worse performance.
No TV Gamma adjustment (PERP is dark as fuck).

Potential solutions:

-Don't fucking buy AMD for old ass DirectX 9 or 11 games.
-Sell the 5700XT for a RTX Gen.2
-Use custom colour settings and deep fry this game like Escape from Tarkov to be able to see anything.
-I end up using cheats.

If you manage to fix my game I might just buy you a game within my budget.

Aquaa

Communication Banned
Reaction score
Don't fucking buy AMD
Creepis
agreed. This usually solves all PC related issues. Great information creepis, I'm sure this will truly help a roleplayer in need when they have the same issue once solved. I think you'd make a great staff member one day, ever thought about applying?

Reaction score
agreed. This usually solves all PC related issues. Great information creepis, I'm sure this will truly help a roleplayer in need when they have the same issue once solved. I think you'd make a great staff member one day, ever thought about applying?
Aquaawant me to re-apply?

Reaction score
Turn on vertical sync in your advanced video settings
or mess around with your screen resolution might work?

Reaction score
Fullscreen for me makes text smaller and the ticket UI enlarged so that I cant see what years I'm picking.

Reaction score
Reaction score

It's all in the mind buddy.

Reaction score

It's all in the mind buddy.
DMODeejayNah it's just Garry's Mod that sucks with the borderless performance as well as increased input lag, any other game is fine. Also love how they show CS:GO and Overwatch in their B-Roll but not a benchmark since it would be nice to see due to the same engine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nah it's just Garry's Mod that sucks with the borderless performance as well as increased input lag, any other game is fine. Also love how they show CS:GO in their B-Roll but not a benchmark since it would be nice to see due to the same engine.
CreepisYeah weird he didn't. I'm not gonna lie I was playing Borderless the other day and I didn't notice a difference at all. When the server is fullish its always bad despite specs.

Reaction score
Have you tried disabling full-screen optimizations? It might also be worth a shot to disable multi-threading, I think that's a default thing right now regardless if you enable it in your config.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Is it maybe something to do with your monitor's resolution/vsync limit? You have an AMD card so you won't have GSYNC like I do but maybe you have something equivalent? Maybe try capping your framerate to 60 FPS or maybe even just turn off vsync.

Reaction score
@Creepis has your issue been resolved or is it still on going?

Reaction score
For those wondering, this is what it looks like.

If no one else has a idea I'll request this thread to be closed soon without a solution to be found.

Reaction score
For those wondering, this is what it looks like.

If no one else has a idea I'll request this thread to be closed soon without a solution to be found.
ShiwoTried different resolutions?

View previous replies…
Reaction score
Few questions:
  • Do you have access to a different GPU? Preferably an Nvidia one to test whether it is definitely being caused by the graphics card and not something else like a dodgy driver.
  • Has the issue occured in any other games?
  • Do you have more than one monitor? Maybe try disconnecting your additional displays to see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Few questions:
  • Do you have access to a different GPU? Preferably an Nvidia one to test whether it is definitely being caused by the graphics card and not something else like a dodgy driver.
  • Has the issue occured in any other games?
  • Do you have more than one monitor? Maybe try disconnecting your additional displays to see if it makes a difference.
Hayden1. RX580, really cannot be bothered to re-install drivers, take out from other PC, etc.
2. No.
3. Only 1 monitor, tried several ports. Using DisplayPort, problem persisted on HDMI on my old monitor along with HDMI to DisplayPort cable.

Reaction score
@Shiwo I was reading a thread on the AMD forums about how this is actually a common issue with games that are early access. This thread looks like some help was given although I am unfamiliar with the AMD software. It does seem to be an AMD issue as he described that the AMD software was taking over once you go full screen which caused the flickering through VSync issues, check it out if this issue is still occurring. https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/freesync-flicker/td-p/253951

Reaction score
FreeSync is turned off completely, I'd have to see if Radeon Software applying some graphic changes to Garry's Mod does some fuckery.

Reaction score
In the thread there, they were saying that fullscreen was causing AMD to take over which resulted in the VSync issues, but maybe the software is just garbage and turning it off doesn't actually turn it off if it's fluctuating that much.

Reaction score
Close this please, I give up. I'm currently using custom display settings in the Radeon control panel whenever its night time in-game so I can actually see something.

If I have any other solution or found the problem I'll make sure to re-open this thread and edit it into the OP.

Thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.