Garry's Mod fullscreen doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It straight up doesn't work in fullscreen, I get a seizure with a flickering screen whenever I switch to it.

Troubleshooting steps I've run:

-Clean Gmod via the factory reset.bat
-Do another clean with these launch commands and disable Steam Cloud so it doesn't automatically use my .cfg
Code:
-novid -autoconfig -default +host_writeconfig config.cfg full +mat_savechanges +quit
-Display drivers and everything else is up to date, last re-installations were with DDU as well.

Probable culprits:

-My AMD GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT).
-My Windows 10 installation for some reason.

Current solution:

Run Garry's Mod in borderless fullscreen.
Cons:
Worse performance.
No TV Gamma adjustment (PERP is dark as fuck).

Potential solutions:

-Don't fucking buy AMD for old ass DirectX 9 or 11 games.
-Sell the 5700XT for a RTX Gen.2
-Use custom colour settings and deep fry this game like Escape from Tarkov to be able to see anything.
-I end up using cheats.

If you manage to fix my game I might just buy you a game within my budget.

Reaction score
Few questions:
  • Do you have access to a different GPU? Preferably an Nvidia one to test whether it is definitely being caused by the graphics card and not something else like a dodgy driver.
  • Has the issue occured in any other games?
  • Do you have more than one monitor? Maybe try disconnecting your additional displays to see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Few questions:
  • Do you have access to a different GPU? Preferably an Nvidia one to test whether it is definitely being caused by the graphics card and not something else like a dodgy driver.
  • Has the issue occured in any other games?
  • Do you have more than one monitor? Maybe try disconnecting your additional displays to see if it makes a difference.
1. RX580, really cannot be bothered to re-install drivers, take out from other PC, etc.
2. No.
3. Only 1 monitor, tried several ports. Using DisplayPort, problem persisted on HDMI on my old monitor along with HDMI to DisplayPort cable.

Reaction score
@Shiwo I was reading a thread on the AMD forums about how this is actually a common issue with games that are early access. This thread looks like some help was given although I am unfamiliar with the AMD software. It does seem to be an AMD issue as he described that the AMD software was taking over once you go full screen which caused the flickering through VSync issues, check it out if this issue is still occurring. https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/freesync-flicker/td-p/253951

Reaction score
Close this please, I give up. I'm currently using custom display settings in the Radeon control panel whenever its night time in-game so I can actually see something.

If I have any other solution or found the problem I'll make sure to re-open this thread and edit it into the OP.

Thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.