Lagspikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It turned to my attention that in gmod i keep getting lagspikes in shootouts all the time. I thought it had something to do with my ping (which is usually around 100) but i watched a few shooting montages and most of them have about 100 ping smoothly without any lag. I have a stable internet connection (100mbps) so I think its gmod causing it, pls help thanx

Reaction score
I sometimes noticed in your videos that you have some kind of overlay, get rid of those entirely even if they're hardware monitoring software or Overwolf, it helps. Turn off Shadowplay, remove all addons and downloads you have including unsubscribing from the workshop (use the factory reset .bat in the Garry's Mod folder if you have to, be sure to write 'menu_cleanupgmas' in the console after removing your .gma's) , look into task manager and sort by disk usage and see if it's not constantly writing and reading stuff because of a Windows update and disable your Antivirus or add an exception for the Garry's Mod/Steam folder and the hl2.exe. Windows Defender is the only thing you really need if you have uBlock Origin and get your torrents from sources that you trust if you do that sort of stuff, havent used an AV in ages and I've been fine. Reconsider reinstalling Windows, who knows what kind of junk you have on it.

Reaction score
Play with net_graph 3 (pure aids) and then upload a video of you in a shootout or whenever you are supposedly experiencing lag spikes. It may not be your ping directly which is affecting it, but you could be experiencing packet loss or choke which will show if it is the problem. Then again GMod is GMod so yea...

Reaction score
Play with net_graph 3 (pure aids) and then upload a video of you in a shootout or whenever you are supposedly experiencing lag spikes. It may not be your ping directly which is affecting it, but you could be experiencing packet loss or choke which will show if it is the problem. Then again GMod is GMod so yea...
This and also use some net settings, put these into your autoexec. These are from a TF2 .cfg but they work the same way in Gmod, interp. should stay somewhere around .033 for hitscan. Copy and pasate based on how good your connection is, remember to uncomment by removing the //
Code:
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Net settings
// Whilst net settings perhaps aren't an integral part of an FPS config, they
// are a fact of life in competitive TF2, and as such, they are included here.
//
// A common question I am asked -- what defines whether a good connection is
// good or bad? Mostly personal preference. If you're not willing to make the
// choice, try both and see which is better for you.
//
// Generally, meeting both of the following conditions would classify it as a
// good connection:
//
// - Ping of <80 to the average server you join
// - Generally no/negligible choke/loss (can be checked with `net_graph')
//
// There's some pretty good documentation on this here:
// http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking
//
// Uncomment (remove the `//' from) one of the groups if you want to use them.

// Good connection
//cl_cmdrate 67 // The tricks to get 1.4ms lerp are placebo you're still forced to .0152
//cl_interp .033 // change to whatever you like for certain classes projectiles/popping //uber/flames = .0152 hitscan = .031 on bad connections = .062
//cl_interp_ratio 1
//cl_lagcompensation 1
//cl_pred_optimize 2
//cl_smooth 0
//cl_smoothtime 0.01
//cl_updaterate 67 // The tricks to get 1.4ms lerp are placebo you're still forced to .0152
rate 60000 // anything above 62,000 is completely useless, anything above 48,000ish is useless in HL

// Competitive connection // Very few servers will have these settings
//cl_cmdrate 128
//cl_interp .007 // this will likely have to be user defined .007 should be roughly the lowest interp, hit scan might do well at .0152 for this
//cl_interp_ratio 1
//cl_lagcompensation 1
//cl_pred_optimize 2
//cl_smooth 0
//cl_smoothtime 0.01
//cl_updaterate 128
//rate 90000 // With higher tick rates you have more bandwidth being used

// Bad connection
//cl_cmdrate 40
//cl_interp 0
//cl_interp_ratio 2
//cl_lagcompensation 1