Lets talk about the Mayor

• Thread starter Deleted member 5577
  • Start date

Deleted member 5577

Hi, so I wanted to start a discussion about the mayor, this is a job at the moment which is pretty redundant to me and it appears to have had some powers stripped away over the years. I feel like there is a want for the mayor to be revamped but I'm not sure any of the suggestions have quite got it right.

What do you think the mayor's job should be? (Should it stay where it is in terms of just deciding tax or should he have a more formal role)

What powers should the mayor be given?

How long should a mayor serve?

Personally I feel the mayor could add a whole new aspect of roleplay to the game and provoke some very interesting passive RP in terms of rallying people around him and other public relations situations. It would be very interesting for the mayor to be able to create different situations maybe hosting meetings with the public or running public campaigns. I would like to see the mayor given a bigger role to play for these reasons and I am certain it will make the server feel less like cops and robbers (although not a complete fix) The mayor should be in charge of setting the direction of the PD and should have some influence over it and for this reason the mayor should not be someone who holds any rank within the PD, either they give this up or they don't have one to start with. I know that sounds unfair however I'm sure the PD would allow reinstatement for people wishing to take a break and serve as mayor.

I believe the best term for a mayor would be up to a maximum of a month, this would keep things interesting and campaigns will really help to liven up passive RP. I also feel the mayor should be able to enact law changes but this should be rarely used to allow simplicity within the legal system and all law changes should be consented to by the community manager or other administrators.

I also feel that the mayor should not be staff, it tends to be with the PD all the high ranks are staff with some exceptions and if they're not staff they have a good chance at getting it. I think this one should definitely be for the players who, in my opinion,are often left in the background.

Overall what I want to do is draft up a fairly substantial document based on what people reply with on this thread and put it to the administration team to get their take on it if that's possible

Reaction score
I feel like there should be something in game that prohibits someone being Mayor for longer than like 90 minutes because what tends to happen sometimes is that they’ll put the tax on 50 and go hide in some crack head lair in the corner of the map for several hours. If the person is doing good as mayor, they should have no problem being re-elected after this period of time

Reaction score
Mayors should really stay as is but given maybe some new features, like enabling or disabling some preset laws. Also, the ability to set warrants like they used to would be somewhat okay, maybe as long as the warrant is authorised by a corporal + however to prevent any possible abuse (I don’t recall this ever being abused however From any personal experiences but it must have been, right?)

Reaction score
While I agree with you partly, I make guns for myself a lot, and to do so I need 0% tax. It’s already uncommon to have 0%, but this would make it a massive pain to buy mats

Reaction score
“mum said it’s my turn to be the mayor”

If more than 6 people sign up for mayor when there is already a mayor, then the mayor should be put onto a 2 hour timer if all the existing candidates havent left the server. I personally recall ZARP and other DarkRP servers having a similar feature to this and it works and keeps the mayor job fluid.

Reaction score
If its 1hr 30 mins you have 1 hour and some change to buy mats. Unless you’re crafting for the fucking first order you have more than enough time to get mats for ppk’s for ur org

Reaction score
Maybe you could have NPCs vote by campaigning. Give mayoral candidates the ability to ask NPCs to vote for them. NPCs won’t vote til they’re spoken to and the campaigning success rate will depend on your influence stat and org level. Of course, NPCs won’t vote unless spoken to and asked to vote.

Reaction score
To be honest I like the simplicity of the system right now but I do agree with the timer system which BigBenji has stated since this would work well. Additionally, I think a cool thing to add to the election process would be when people run for mayor they are asked to create a short message to why they should be mayor or what they are offering. This message would then appear next to their name in the chat in a different colour so people will read the messages and see who they want to vote for. These messages would be short though so it doesn't spam the chat too much. It would also mean that the mayor election timer should be extended so people have more time to select a candidate and read the messages.

I also think the mayor should have some new features in my opinion like a rework. I think the mayor should be able to go into his office and log into a website on a computer which allows the mayor to set taxes and recommends the mayor what taxes should be set too in order to keep the economy stable. This makes it more realistic than the mayor just talking to the npc. Additionally, the mayor would also be able to see detailed statistics on how the city is running like the amount of money earned from specific taxes like sales tax in the past 30 mins or the current cost of PD vehicles. So basically I think all mayor functions should be transferred onto a computer in the mayor office and more functions to be added in the future.

Reaction score
ah yes the rich mob boss in town having an influence in politics now where have i seen that go wrong before

Reaction score
@Aquaa i can tell you haven’t been on lately LUL
And when I mean buying mats I mean 500k+ worth, thats the point when a limit on being mayor would start to get annoying, as if it’s too low or you joined halfway through their time, you probably don’t have enough time to buy all mats