Police Suggestion Modernise Police Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Modernise Police Vehicles
Suggestion Description: So the police vehicle models look soo basic and out of date, I am suggesting a new change to make it look more modern and better looking than what we have like in the images i posted, they are not basic and a modern design

THIS SUGGESTION IS NOT TO ADD CARS JUST UPDATE THE SKINS

Why should this be added?:
- Making police vehicles look better
- new police updates are pog
- modernising the police

What negatives could this have?:
- Dev time

Useful Images: https://s3-screenshots.int-cdn.lcpd...6.1).png.777ba84f64ee4d3ae4bea3b9fbd9dc56.png
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...yKtJ5GULu9bleeBgH__30u70EiBp-ucA47jE&usqp=CAU
https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploa...ice-department.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=744

Last edited:
Reaction score
I personally do like the decals our vehicles have. My only complaint is that mainly patrol doesn't have any SUVs to use really. I would love to see a ford explorer or something get put in as a marked unit for them

Reaction score
You should show something that actually exists on gmod if you want this to be accepted.

Reaction score
Source engine is not the most modern thing out there, some of the cars that for GMod look super nice are so high poly they crash games, the photos you put are not possible realistically within GMod. Things can look better, but at the cost of frames.

Reaction score
Vehicles from the Rage engine has a huge difference from the Source engine, i don't think this is a good option for the server.
It could cost a lot of frames which most players with low end pcs already struggle wiith, don't think the vehicles are possible to make in the Source engine.

Reaction score
The police cars are nicer than 99% of IRL American vehicles.

Remember how old gmod is, the cars aren’t gonna look brand new

Reaction score
I mean to be fair, our cars aren't that outdated when you consider what else is available on the workshop (more specifically, TDMCars, the pack we primarily use). The first image you sent is literally of the same Police car we use, just with more lights (the 2012 Dodge Charger) and the second one is of a 2015 Dodge Charger, which is only 3 years newer.

It is true that we don't have a Ford Interceptor/Explorer type vehicle, though.

If we were to add new cars, here is a list of rough requirements. They'd have to be:
- Roughly the same scale as our current cars
- Roughly matching detail (poly count, texture resolution/detail, etc.)
- Already be rigged and have animation sets for turning, accelerating, speedometers, etc.
- Consist of 21 materials or less (to be viable as a civ and job car, 11 free skins are necessary at minimum due to the studiomdl compiler maximum of 32, which can be increased but not in a way that is viable for us)
- Roughly the same file size as our average car

Some of the cars we attempted to add recently (which are technically live, but set to be removed if adequate modifications can not be made) were modified by myself to meet the above requirements. It is technically true that our cars no longer have the limitation of having to be a TDMCar, but "porting" existing cars to be compatible with what we use can be time-consuming (some of the cars we added recently took me a few hours).

It is also worth mentioning that when adding new cars, we must
- Create new scripts for stock, upgrade, wrecked and spiked variants of the car
- Add light sprite positions (headlights, reverse/brake lights, indicators)
- Add license plate positions
- Add seat positions
- Add it to the Car Dealer with balanced pricing

Reaction score
We dont use gmod vehicles? isnt it all custom
99% of PERP cars are modified versions of existing cars from the TDM workshop, the custom to our server aspect of that being that on models where colour customisation changes the windshield and internals colours, perp‘s colour customisation of these vehicles exists only to the exterior texture of the vehicle, the part that would be the only realistically repainted part. Other vehicles have a few QoL differences such as downscaled internals as to not effect the FPS of players too much when within render range.

All Cars on perp are either straight ports of or modified versions of TDMCars vehicles. The Ambulance is probably our most custom vehicle.

The vehicle system itself? Yeah it’s custom to hear, our developers made it. The models? They were only modified for the game mode.

Perpheads developers probably could make a custom car model but it’d be a group effort that would take ages. Instead, we use TDMCars models, who port their vehicles from gran turismo and other car game franchises.

Reaction score
The police cars are nicer than 99% of IRL American vehicles.

Remember how old gmod is, the cars aren’t gonna look brand new
What kind of podunk part of America are you in?

Most of the IRL police vehicles I see are 2020 or newer (crrent gen Explorers, Tahoes, Durangos), and it's not like I'm in some ultra rich area with well funded PDs.

As for the suggestion, I don't see new paintjobs doing much to revitalize old metal unfortunately.

Reaction score
Those look goofy as hell I cant lie, I love how the perp cars look I dont want the shitty police/santosRP cars thank you. :penguin:

Reaction score
What kind of podunk part of America are you in?

Most of the IRL police vehicles I see are 2020 or newer (crrent gen Explorers, Tahoes, Durangos), and it's not like I'm in some ultra rich area with well funded PDs.

As for the suggestion, I don't see new paintjobs doing much to revitalize old metal unfortunately.
Seeing as the suggestion is about the paint jobs, you agreee with my comment?

If the suggestion was about new cars (which it isn’t as the big red writing makes clear) then I would say hell yeah, of course we know the devs are trying their hardest to make it possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.