Upgrading Vehicles

Reaction score
Topic: General Server Vehicles update

Short explanation (in notes):
-New TDM cars are out, add them
-Upgrade the government vehicles, especially Ambulance, Tow Truck and Firetruck
-

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
Our vehicle pack is currently a bit outdated, there are many new and better quality vehicles available. Sthephen's excuse for this is that every car needs its own handling set up, so why don't he release cars by single like every 2 days?

Another reason is that some government vehicles are bad quality, for example the ambulance, limo, swat van and Firetruck. There are many high quality models available and I'm sure Stephen could map the lights properly. Also maybe update the police vehicles, for example give the LT a newer BMW and instead of crown Vic's add Taurus interceptors, change the 2008 charger to some other vehicle, etc.

Currently in vehicles plan our server looks outdated so we should update it, give it a fresher look.

Optional additions:
-
-
-

Reaction score
so why don't he release cars by single like every 2 days?

Because the server content would need to be updated every 2 days.
I don't think that this is a urgent or important thing. I feel like @StephenPuffs has done an amazing job with the handling for the current vehicles, and I'm sure that it has taken him a lot of hard work.

At rue end of the day, you have so many different cars on the server already, and i dont think we currently need an update.

Reaction score
I would love new cars, but at the same time its al lot of effort, causing other ideas to be put aside, is that what we really want? also what happens to the older car models, do they just go? like people cant buy them but people who have them keep them? I guess that's okay, but if people lose their cars that isn't. however we couldn't keep selling older models as the content to join the server would be well to high.

Reaction score
The 4 vehicles with bad quality I believe are GTA cars which is why the quality is bad. I admit some new cars would be nice but we should not be forcing the devs they have done enough for the community anyway. Mapping a car is not easy every car acts differently and if you get it wrong they could be undriveable.

Neutral see what the devs think.

Reaction score
First off, it's not an excuse to say I have to set up handling on each. Try driving the cars using TDMs basic included script, the speed, handling, acceleration, etc are all absolute garbage. So yes I would have to do them. This means I have to do the basic car, both upgrades, damaged state, and wrecked/punctured tires, meaning 5 scripts for one car alone.

Secondly to set them up to work with our gamemode means then I have to set up headlight, taillight, indicators, figure an approximate cost for the car which as we do it also determines how I do the script for what speed standard, passenger seats, engine smoke, exhaust smoke, wheel sparks, fuel tank, bodykits, etc...

Next I go through all of TDMs materials for each car to be sure they look how I would like and reflect the lighting of the map nicely. Then modifying them to allow for some trickery we have to do which allows us to turn on and off the interior lights with the headlights.

Somethings also like the Murcielago, yes I know TDM has a different version of it than the one we use, but this is done on purpose because when I used the newest one (at that time anyways) in my test server, in the vehicle claim window you would not see the interior of the car and instead just see through it. So I had to revert to the old one, making me check each car since that incident which takes time.

So while yes realistically I could set all that up for each car one after the next every 2 days, it means we would first need to do a full content update first, which is not done by my control. That is purely on @Fredy to set up and do. Also because of what a pain it is to update actual content changes, not code changes, with Garry's Mod, those kind of updates are rare and infrequent so we try to get everything we think we will need for several updates and pack that all in at that time so we don't have to deal with it as long as we can. This all said however, as @Walker said we already have accepted an idea to add more TDM cars, but as it is no priority we haven't, plus we're still trying to finalize some content so that we can feel confident updating it all and not have to the week immediately after.