Monty Oum

Reaction score
"Not all stories have a happy ending." - Yang Xiao Long, RWBY.
And this is the story of Monty Oum.

Monty Oum created a video called Haloid (as seen below), as well as being hired by Namco Bandai Games as a Combat Designer/Animator for Afro Samurai.
In 2009, Monty Oum met with Burnie Burns, a co-founder of Rooster Teeth. They discussed teaming up, and at PAX East 2010, Monty officially worked at Rooster Teeth as a character animator and choreographer. In 2012, he was announced as the creator and lead animator of the series, RWBY.

Recently, Monty Oum had a medical emergency. He was hospitalized in a critical condition. This is what Burnie Burns said about Monty Oum being hospitalized: "He is currently hospitalized in critical care and it is not known if he will recover. He is receiving the best medical care possible and is surrounded by both family and friends who love him very much. While we wanted you to know as soon as possible, we also have the utmost respect for Monty's privacy and we hope you will understand and share in that respect."
In an attempt to help Monty and his family to pay the medical bills, Burnie asked people to raise money for him. As the news first hit, Monty's fans raised nearly $180,000.

However, on the 1st of February, Monty Oum passed away. This is the full statement from Rooster Teeth:
"Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty."

Since this tragedy, no videos have been uploaded on the Rooster Teeth channel.
Another channel by Rooster Teeth did, however, post a 1 minute video.

EDIT:

This is Rooster Teeth's tribute to Monty:

Last edited:
Reaction score
its like i live in the toilet the way i be shittin
So sad to see him go, he was a big inspiration to me, and he also seemed like a great guy. I hope I can watch RT regularly again without just becoming a pile of shit that can't do anything because I'm so sad that Monty died.

Rest In Peace
We love you, Monty.