Police Suggestion New 10 Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brief description of idea: During pursuits and reading in the handbook i've noticed that there is no official 10 code for when a suspect crashes his or her car so a lot of the time units in pursuit will say he's crashed his vehicle which in a chase takes up time to add on the extra words. I propose that we use 10-50 as a code for when a suspect crashes during a pursuit. Its something I've personally used across multiple police departments in various communities over the years of me doing this. I've also noticed other officers on patrol saying 10-50 as well

What benefits would this idea have for the department: Much more simpler transmissions for example "Alpha 2 Suspect has crashed (Insert location of crash here)" Which would turn into "Alpha 2 Suspect 10-50 (Insert location of crash here)"

What potential negatives could this have for the department: Can't personally see any

Other additions:None (Sorry if this seems like something to nitpick not wanting to just think it would be useful to have in the 10 codes also this is my first suggestion so im sorry if i didn't do it correctly)

Reaction score
10-50 is the most common code for a vehicle crash, even during my time in fivem a 10-50 has always been a vehicle crash, we used to have a list of codes for this on PERP aswell, but I presume this has been removed then if this is a suggestion?
10-50 is not in the 10 code list for PLPD which is why this suggestion was created yes.

Reaction score
I stand for the change that police should get the most commonly known 10 codes so it’s not rare or impressive when a cop is found or heard using them cause rarely do our current codes ever get used.

Simply put, the general purpose codes are so easy to memorize I strongly suggest we change them out for the current ones.

It has the 10-50 everyone knows. It has easy to remember ones like 76 for en route or 10-3 for stop transmitting etc..

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is selecting which set of codes we use, but just the fact that we should find better ways to use them.

It's not uncommon for a department to have specific codes, but we should probably formalize our own, then set which ones are the most important, and teach that.

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is selecting which set of codes we use, but just the fact that we should find better ways to use them.

It's not uncommon for a department to have specific codes, but we should probably formalize our own, then set which ones are the most important, and teach that.
What you’re not considering is that we don’t have formal training done by Patrol trainers any time somebody wants to join PD. officers aren’t even tested on their competence of the law or 10 codes that much tbh most of the questions are common sense.

Therefore usage of the general purpose set of 10 codes would be the easiest for new users and adapting seasoned users to refer to when conducting their patrols or responding. It’s the easiest to memorize and cuts down on a lot of redundant work required to make our own codes and teach them when the PD has no mandatory training sessions for Patrol officers to make them memorize the 10 codes like how TFU makes training mandatory to join TFU.

Reaction score
What you’re not considering is that we don’t have formal training done by Patrol trainers any time somebody wants to join PD. officers aren’t even tested on their competence of the law or 10 codes that much tbh most of the questions are common sense.
Which in my eyes, is a larger part of the problem. Day after day my expectations of competency from a no-chevron officer goes lower and lower. For a LONG TIME Patrol has needed to do something about the people that are coming through the doors, and that's true now more then ever. Some of these Ofcs need serious attention, instead they just get brushed off, and when they fail they just get scraped into the IA system. That is, if they aren't absolutely stepped on by a maniac (who's probably in the command structure) with an AK.

99% of " New Player" Officers are a fucking joke they may as well be Probationary's. Hell, I might make a suggestion out of that. At the very least make the entrance a bit harder? Not TFU difficulty, but we are at a point where we need something.

No, im not saying they need to "attend classes" to get on the job, but maybe if they were offered, it'd be GREAT for those who wanna move up just a bit faster. But they won't even guage interest, atleast, I've not seen any attempt of that.

Reaction score
I remember there being a list of most useful radio codes on the PLPD handbook - may be there still if I am not mistaken.

I say we make it a bit more obvious, select 20 or so most useful codes and put them on the handbook, and make a question on the Officer/Snr. exam regarding the radio codes/communication.

This was the list that was previously listed: https://www.radiolabs.com/police-codes.html. The one I previously linked is the same set, and where they were actually collected from. I believe they were removed from the PD listings to "simplify" things.

However they are still active, and have been for years. Some have been removed due to collisions with phone numbers and incident numbers, but all of the Code X, 10-X and 11-X codes are still there.

Reaction score
This was the list that was previously listed: https://www.radiolabs.com/police-codes.html. The one I previously linked is the same set, and where they were actually collected from. I believe they were removed from the PD listings to "simplify" things.

However they are still active, and have been for years. Some have been removed due to collisions with phone numbers and incident numbers, but all of the Code X, 10-X and 11-X codes are still there.
I’d still say general purpose codes are clearly way easier for people to memorize and comprehend. However now I realize how much more development resources it would require to replace the current codes with the general purpose and it really comes down to the final decisions of the Chiefs and staff.

I still strongly recommend we use general purpose because it has way more relevant codes to what we encounter on duty and also is easily configurable to suit more of what we need if need be whilst being the easiest to memorize out of all the sets brought forward considering many of the codes in general purpose many people are claiming to be already familiar with.

An extra idea is if we begin using general purpose I can work on making a spread sheet myself and color highlight squares indicating which are the most crucial codes to memorize that officers will use often, then the codes which are recommended but not too necessary and the rest will be normal colored.

Reaction score
Nothing gives me more depression than hearing an Officer mouth off against an EMS because the EMS does not understand what ''I have a 11-41, Code 4, 10-45B at 10-20'' means. And that has happened a few times before.

I don't mind codes, as long as they are written in the chat, so everyone knows what they mean.

Reaction score
Nothing gives me more depression than hearing an Officer mouth off against an EMS because the EMS does not understand what ''I have a 11-41, Code 4, 10-45B at 10-20'' means. And that has happened a few times before.

I don't mind codes, as long as they are written in the chat, so everyone knows what they mean.
Which is why my idea would eliminate that by highlighting in a spreadsheet the codes which are most often used!

Also most people are familiar with the general purpose codes so when they’re newer EMS they may just already know all the codes on their first day due to how commonly used those general purpose codes are.

Reaction score
Which is why my idea would eliminate that by highlighting in a spreadsheet the codes which are most often used!

Also most people are familiar with the general purpose codes so when they’re newer EMS they may just already know all the codes on their first day due to how commonly used those general purpose codes are.
PD handbook has the most commonly used/important 10-codes.

Its in the communication section.

I would argue to make new radio codes that are easier to learn, and newer or eliminate the use of them.

Reaction score
plpd uses very old and outdated radio codes.

Though ill argue that radio codes aren't common anymore. Its mostly a small amount of codes and then mainly plaintalk
I mean Plaintalk would prob fit a bit more,as most of the new officers most likely won't bother trying to talk in codes,and i don't blame them for it.its long to learn all them,

Reaction score
I mean Plaintalk would prob fit a bit more,as most of the new officers most likely won't bother trying to talk in codes,and i don't blame them for it.its long to learn all them,
“All” is not the demand. The minimum is to learn the most commonly used and most important ones to cut down on radio traffic especially during peak hours

PD handbook has the most commonly used/important 10-codes.

Its in the communication section.

I would argue to make new radio codes that are easier to learn, and newer or eliminate the use of them.
General purpose 10 codes are what seem to be the most commonly known while also being pretty straight forward and easy to quickly grasp even more so if a spreadsheet is made highlighting specifically which few are crucial to conducting daily duties.

Reaction score

Adding a radio code for collisions is not needed, it does not take any longer to say down radio that a suspect has crashed than it does to say '10-50' and you're not going to be sending a message over text based radio during a pursuit. If you want short hand to use, you can say 'RTC' which some people do anyway.
As for the list of 'general purpose codes', I don't see any benefit to switching to them as it will only cause more confusion and the list is missing radio codes which I regularly use (namely the patient condition 10-45 codes) in the text based radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.