New Hard Drive? extremely terrible news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi there

id like to announce this horrible news to everybody on the perpheads forums that my main hard drive has passed away during the past week ive been on holiday, i dont actually know how but it wont stop showing this screen even when it gets to 100% after like an hour of waiting it just reboots and does it again

my PC is now relying on this shitty backup hard drive with barely any space on it

X2DRy5t.jpg

So heres my question..

Are 10 TB drives actually a good idea in a gaming system with what only 460 v power supply or whatever it is (i can check if important) such as this one below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535460763&sr=8-3&keywords=10tb

i love having loads of storage but was wondering if there would be any performance or power related issues in installing 4x 10TB hard drives? If there is a problem then what would you recommend instead? It's main purpose would be storing steam games, videos and pictures.

Cry for effect
maxresdefault.jpg
1 Friendly = 1 F for Respect

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Honestly, what you want to do is above stupid. 4 10TB Server drives in a desktop? A big nono.
For one thing, if you want that 40TB of storage you will have to configure them in RAID 0. That means when 1 drive dies, you lose everything at once.
Even if you put them in RAID 10 (safest option) giving you 20 TB, what the fuck do you need 20 TB for? I can install my whole steam library on a 4 TB hard drive no problem and I have 100 plus games.

What I did is I got an 1 TB M.2 SSD that gives me + 2GB/s read and writes that I install everything on. I also have 2x 2 TB Seagate Barracuda's in RAID 1 so that when one dies because of my subwoofer right next to them I am not fucked and I can recover my shit. RAID IS NOT A BACKUP

This is what my PC looks like right now, and I install loads of stuff...
QCp8y4I.png

PS: If you really need 40 TB of storage, go buy a NAS and work with that, don't expect a consumer grade PC to handle datacenter amounts of storage drives...

Reaction score
That is precisely what raid is... protection of data via backup
No, raid is redundancy, not a backup. It will NOT save your important shit if you fuck up your array or if both hard drives suffer a failure. Raid protects against a disk hardware failure and nothing else. A TRUE backup is generally a raid 1 or 5 on a NAS or off site server.

Reaction score
That is precisely what raid is... protection of data via backup
Not necessarily. Some RAID configurations are specifically designed to be faster, for example, RAID 0 runs two drives at the same time which essentially doubles the read and write speed.

In this instance, RAID 1, it only protects against complete drive failure. As both drives are mirrored, corrupted data into one of the drives means corrupted data into both of them. From what I said earlier, I was meaning backup in the event one of his 10TB drives failed. I personally would not want to lose a drive filled with 2TB or more of downloaded games.

Reaction score
to get on topic, how is your internet? i mean i generally store my list of ~100 games on a 1tb drive that i play some times and the games i play ALOT on my 250gb hard drive. Any game i dont have i just download or replace for another game on my 1tb drive. you cant play 40 terabytes of games at once, nor will you play all of them in a week.

in my opinion you're way better off with a 500gb/1tb ssd for the same price which will perform MUCH better(try loading gta v on a 5400RPM drive LUL).. Get a NAS with some 10tb drives if you really want a lot of storage and keep your files safer. I would not recommend doing a raid in a normal PC anyway unless it's for SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Some RAID configurations are specifically designed to be faster, for example, RAID 0 runs two drives at the same time which essentially doubles the read and write speed.

In this instance, RAID 1, it only protects against complete drive failure. As both drives are mirrored, corrupted data into one of the drives means corrupted data into both of them. From what I said earlier, I was meaning backup in the event one of his 10TB drives failed. I personally would not want to lose a drive filled with 2TB or more of downloaded games.
do realise raid 1 is really only for redundancy and up-time, which is great and all until you get a virus that can fuck up your array. this happens. seriously no point in doing a raid setup thats not for speed on your normal machine. all it does is clone one drive really so if one fucks up by overwriting data or whatever you're fucked either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.