Hardware Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to, within the next few months (hopefully) Upgrade my PC.

My first port of call will be to upgrade small items (Storage, Memory etc).
This link will take you to the website for my Motherboard Specifications:

Specification wise, This is what I currently have:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
1x 240GB SSD
1x 1TB HDD 7200RPM
RTX 2060 6GB
Motherboard A320M-A-PRO
2X 8GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz

I'll update this thread when it's time to upgrade more Items but for now, I've listed below what I'm hoping to upgrade first.

Memory
Storage

Both of these need a major upgrade to what I have currently. As of right now, I have 16 GB's of DDR4 RAM running at 2400MHz. My PC can support up to 3200MHz and 64 GB of DDR4 RAM.
Storage-wise, I have a 240GB SSD which has a couple of Low storage requirement games (GMOD, etc) and is also my Primary Drive for windows. I'm looking to Upgrade this to 1TB or more. (I don't believe I can support M.2 so PLEASE do not suggest it. I also have a 1TB HDD which is 7200RPM. This also needs an upgrade as this tends to get quite full with games.

At the moment, I have thought about these for the upgrades, however, wanted some suggestions from others as to what you think would be great either from personal experiences or recommendations from your friends.

Here's an idea on why I need to upgrade. At the moment, I try to play the new, Early Access game Icarus. Granted the game is poorly optimised at the moment BUT it uses around 90% of my available RAM.

Here's the link to the RAM I think should be suitable.

Storage-wise, This is what I am Going to go with:

This SSD (I'd like to have most games on here with Windows installed)
I'm thinking about whether to go with 2SSD's with them both being 4TB's or with one of them being 4TB's and one being 2TB's.

I've never really upgraded PCs before and usually purchased pre-builts, However, This PC will be one I intend to upgrade for some time.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if you think I've gone overkill.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best upgrade you can do at the moment in your case is to upgrade the RAM. You don't need 32GB, I do fine with 16. Only get it if you have money to throw away or you actually use it for apps that need the RAM like Premiere or Blender.

Make sure of course that it's a kit with two sticks for dual channel. I prefer G.Skill due to their better OC and XMP/D.O.C.P profiles but Corsair also works fine.
Look up the CL number before you buy your kit. Ideally it should be CL17, any lower is better but also more expensive.
Since you have a Ryzen 2000 you can't really push the frequency that high, I never had any luck. 3000-3200mhz is stable and what you should buy, 3600mhz is the 'official sweetspot' for Ryzen 3000 so it would be best to look for 3600Mhz if you're looking to upgrade your system and carry over components.

SATA3 SSD's are still a good buy, mostly because some might be even cheaper than NVME M.2. I got one myself recently because all my M.2 slots are populated, I still see no real world difference with these against a NVME M.2, sure it's like 1 second faster load times for gaming or other applications but you really don't notice them. If you want to save some bucks then SATA3 SSDs are good for what they offer especially Samsung.