New Hard Drive? extremely terrible news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi there

id like to announce this horrible news to everybody on the perpheads forums that my main hard drive has passed away during the past week ive been on holiday, i dont actually know how but it wont stop showing this screen even when it gets to 100% after like an hour of waiting it just reboots and does it again

my PC is now relying on this shitty backup hard drive with barely any space on it

X2DRy5t.jpg

So heres my question..

Are 10 TB drives actually a good idea in a gaming system with what only 460 v power supply or whatever it is (i can check if important) such as this one below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535460763&sr=8-3&keywords=10tb

i love having loads of storage but was wondering if there would be any performance or power related issues in installing 4x 10TB hard drives? If there is a problem then what would you recommend instead? It's main purpose would be storing steam games, videos and pictures.

Cry for effect
maxresdefault.jpg
1 Friendly = 1 F for Respect

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You'll probably be alright. NAS drives can be run in a desktop PC but they aren't really designed for that, though its performance impact is negligible. On the topic of power, the drives are rated at 6W which isn't a lot. The computer will be able to support them.

I need to ask though: do you really need 40TB? That is just stupid overkill in my opinion. With that much storage, I would look into a RAID 1 configuration. It essentially means the computer will mirror the drives, halving your storage capacity but keeping a backup drive just in case. Though this is entirely up to you.

Reaction score
  • Staff
You'll probably be alright. NAS drives can be run in a desktop PC but they aren't really designed for that, though its performance impact is negligible. On the topic of power, the drives are rated at 6W which isn't a lot. The computer will be able to support them.

I need to ask though: do you really need 40TB? That is just stupid overkill in my opinion. With that much storage, I would look into a RAID 1 configuration. It essentially means the computer will mirror the drives, halving your storage capacity but keeping a backup drive just in case. Though this is entirely up to you.
thanks for the reply,

what would be the most suitable for a gaming system which stores a decent amount of clips and games, 4GB drives maybe?

Reaction score
thanks for the reply,

what would be the most suitable for a gaming system which stores a decent amount of clips and games, 4GB drives maybe?

WD Blacks are the best performance Hard Drives I know of. They are really expensive in the 4TB variety, usually upwards of £150 so I'd recommend getting a 1TB version of the WD Black for high-performance tasks, and getting WD Blue drives for the common stuff.

Reaction score
WD black compared to cheaper 4TB drives will only give you an additional 20-30% performance increase in raw writes but the seek times are usually a lot better. I use like 10 of those for backup solutions ;o

tldr; just get the cheaper ones, you most likely won't even notice the difference for gaming

Reaction score
If you're going with seagate, don't get the 3TB versions :woot:

wot

The HDD dosent need to be expensive and beasty to be honest any will do if your going to use ssd as primary.

WD black is just as good as WD blue for you wouldent notice the difference realistically.

HDD are outdated as alot of people just use ssd and m2 now.

Reaction score
The HDD dosent need to be expensive and beasty to be honest any will do if your going to use ssd as primary.

WD black is just as good as WD blue for you wouldent notice the difference realistically.

HDD are outdated as alot of people just use ssd and m2 now.

Sorry, I couldn't understand your English in the first post but yes, I agree. However, buying solid state in sizes above 1TB still isn't a financially suitable solution for speed.

Reaction score
I've got 2x 2TB Hard drives and a 512GB SSD as a boot drive, it works pretty decent for me. Although I'd recommend getting as much as you can for the price point. Also, if your boot SSD is tiny, get a 512 or 1Tb to replace it, and you can keep a few games you want peak performance with on there.

Reaction score
If you want to go down the SSD route of a main hard drive, I'd recommend going with Mushkin if your budget is tight. They are nice, cheap and can't really go wrong with them.

Reaction score
i dont care about price, how does this sound?

ill use 4TB SSDs, one for steam games, one for media/videos/movies, one for other programs, then another small one for just being a boot drive

Reaction score
In my opinion 10TB will be too much, I think around a 4TB will be just fine, depending on what you do though. Do you need 10TB is the question?

Reaction score
i dont care about price, how does this sound?

ill use 4TB SSDs, one for steam games, one for media/videos/movies, one for other programs, then another small one for just being a boot drive
Get an SSD for a game drive, but I'd personally stay with another regular Hard Drive for stuff like media/movies, as I imagine you'd be writing a lot more data to that drive, and most SSD's aren't optimized for repeated rewriting, and can wear out quicker that way.

Reaction score

R A I D I S N O T A B A C K U P

Reaction score
I would look into a RAID 1 configuration. It essentially means the computer will mirror the drives, halving your storage capacity but keeping a backup drive just in case. Though this is entirely up to you.
I see someone else already put it, but I am going to comment it again in big red letters:

!!!! RAID IS NOT A BACKUP !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.