NLR and reconnecting

Should rejoining the server be considered NLR/3.5?

• Keep the rule as it is, reconnecting is not NLR.

• Change the rule to specifically say reconnecting is NLR.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayjay

Reaction score
This topic is full of arguments on why NLR shouldn't apply after leaving the server. During the staff meeting what arguments were used on why NLR should be applied upon leaving? Because I can't think of any benefits on why it was implemented. Maybe some staff can shed light on this?

Having the time limit as an hour makes little to no difference, the point of the argument from most perspectives was to increase it to a decent and beneficial amount of time. Senior Administration closing a 'server discussion' thread constantly, as they feel the issue has been fixed really shouldn't be happening in my opinion.

More to the point, as @Jordan said - This is a roleplay server, and the whole premise around that is to emulate life. From what clothes you wear, to crimes you have commited (warrants) don't currently get wiped within a certain timeframe, why should that be different for your motives and actions?

What, do you expect us to get our big egg timer out as soon as we leave the server to track how long @Feng Yamaguchi knows that we raided him and killed all his carrot blokes?

We can't be relying on a certain amount of time out of the server in order to reset our lives, it's a roleplay server and sustaining life is a monumental part of that, you are accountable for your actions, not just for an hour.

This needs drastic rethought, and possibly some more communication from Administration rather than threads being locked and the active playerbase being condemned for bringing up an issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We cannot know the second someone leaves the server and if we find out we cannot accurately time how long they have been gone for. It just makes no sense.

Reaction score
We cannot know the second someone leaves the server and if we find out we cannot accurately time how long they have been gone for. It just makes no sense.
The rule is here so if someone raids me and then they DC, I can't carbomb them the next day.

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
Something that can and will be constantly abused. If I get a warrant for murder, whats stopping me leaving the server for an hour or 1 comp CS game, so I can cry in LOOC "NLRRRR!" When being arrested just to get no 10k ticket.
There hasnt been no issues with time periods in the past complaining about it being an hour. Same as people not timing their 3 raids in an hour or 2 on the same property.

Reaction score
I just scammed someone for 500k, I better DC for 1hr so I get a new life and noone kills me ;)

rat

Reaction score
Warrants and the police computer are typically regarded as persisting through multiple lives anyway.

If you really want to leave for an hour to avoid an RP sit then it may not only be an infraction of the rules but also quite sad.

An hour "ban" from the server vs 5 minutes dead.

I don't particularly understand why this needs clarifying when there were supposed to be much more important NLR changes implemented.

From precedents I've seen set reconnecting counts as NLR anyway and has for quite some time
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction score
I don't particularly understand why this needs clarifying when there were supposed to be much more important NLR changes implemented.

From precedents I've seen set reconnecting counts as NLR anyway and has for quite some time
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you're saying this doesn't need clarifying and is not important because there are apparently other changes and that you have been enforcing a rule that doesn't exist in the past?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction score
My view on this whole thing in general is pretty neutral, while I do actually want it the way we made it (basically the way we've had it since 2013) where if you disconnect and come back later on you will have a new life; Now for people stating that this would be abused please note that I yet to find anyone after my 4 years of playing on the server who's done this, there is essentially no one who's done this.

On the other hand I do stand for the fact that the rule should not involve someone disconnecting from the server, obviously this is after all a roleplaying server where we should always take responsibility for our actions and sometimes pay for them, this means if you disconnect one day and come back back the next you should be able to be dealt with regards to the situation, one flaw with this would however be if someone does disconnect from the server and comes back would there still be a chance for the player to get acted upon something they did 10 days ago? Even though I sort of stand for this I do believe that there should be a limited timer, maybe it should be higher than 1 hour, I have no idea. Now I know a lot of people will say; Well what's the issue with someone being dealt with for something they've done a couple of days back? Now in the meeting it was discussed wether or not we would get more reports regarding 2.5 if someone's passed away and been essentially randomly killed by someone.

In the staff meeting that we had it was discussed up to almost an hour about this whole thing, now it was brought up obviously as it caused a pretty heated discussion between both users and staff members (some of the replies have been deleted) In the meeting it was discussed how we believed that this is the way it's been for a while, we decided to open a poll about it in the staff team where we all voted for what we wanted.

In this poll we came to an agreement that after leaving the server you should have to act as if you have a new life (under 3.5) however we were still not really there as some still had feelings regards to the whole system as they believed that it would be abused where people would leave in-order to not be killed which to be fair is a completely valid argument in this situation considering this is after all a roleplaying server where we try to develop our characters. Now I myself stood for the decision to have it the way where if someone left the server they would have to act as if it would be a new life, one of the arguments I used towards the whole that people would abuse it is that technically if you left within this hour (if you were being actively chased or whatever) you would be disconnecting from an RP situation as your character would still technically be in an active RP situation (If not obviously asking OOCly if you could leave)

After that general discussion we decided to open another poll for the staff team during the meeting where we would all vote for a timer regards to the whole NLR on disconnect, most staff members were at this stage very positive towards one hour, that's when we essentially decided that it should be acted upon this way. Now I can understand why players believe that this is something rushed which I can agree with to some extent, however our reasoning for this was because we didn't want a hostile discussion in this thread (which it was at the time) so we decided to get into a meeting regarding. What could've been done in my eyes differently after looking at the situation once again is that we as a staff team came into a meeting and discussed the whole thing and come to the community of what we believe would be the best and ask them how they would like to change it, instead of just changing it with a snap by our fingers.

Now as seen by a result of this sort of brawl on the forums caused by this whole situation the Senior Staff team decided to open a new suggestion box by a google forms document where players could easily come with their opinions and changes that they would want regards to the rule, now in the thread
Please remember to try and be as constructive and as detailed as possible when filling out this form, as wasted and unhelpful responses don't solve anything.
Obviously by this thread we as a staff team have realised that the change and how the situation was handled did not satisfy the community at all, and obviously has given us as a community to come with our opinions regarding the rule, I think it is pretty damn disrespectful by some community member to come with no respect to the form whatsoever and put replies such as these;
tn94rZC.png

Z9g5dCT.png

Z9SsVtm.png
*PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD VOICE YOUR OPINION TO A CHANGE NOT WITH THE CURRENT CHANGE*
7XFV4pl.png

These are firstly not constructive to the whole subject and are simply not useful for the staff team in general, it kinda just ruins the purpose of the whole document, I'd rather have you type why you want it to be the way you would like it and also to write your version of the rule if that kind of makes sense.

Reaction score
It shouldn't be changed, if i get wanted for Murder, or anything in the case like that and i leave to play something else, or go out irl etc i can't be arrested cause that's NLR, Same thing for people that want to kill someone, if the guy left who they wanted to kill, and he joins back after 1 hour and 34 minutes we can't kill him anymore cause it's NLR?
In my opinion it's BS.

Reaction score
In the staff meeting that we had it was discussed up to almost an hour about this whole thing, now it was brought up obviously as it caused a pretty heated discussion between both users and staff members (some of the replies have been deleted) In the meeting it was discussed how we believed that this is the way it's been for a while, we decided to open a poll about it in the staff team where we all voted for what we wanted.

In this poll we came to an agreement that after leaving the server you should have to act as if you have a new life (under 3.5)

So in the one hour discussion what were the benefits to implementing the rule change? You wrote a whole lot of info but i couldn't find anything regarding the benefits to adding the rule change? 'its always been like this' is not a valid argument either.

Reaction score
So in the one hour discussion what were the benefits to implementing the rule change? You wrote a whole lot of info but i couldn't find anything regarding the benefits to adding the rule change? 'its always been like this' is not a valid argument either.
One of the main reasons that I can remember from the meeting is generally that we didn't want any confusion in situations regards to if someone left a couple of days ago and came back to them being killed as generally they probably wouldn't remember it. Now aswell as we'd get more reports (atleast thats what we thought) regarding to if people died and would take up time by looking at logs, might be a stupid argument but it's what went down.

Also; I'm not using the it's how it's been all the time as an argument, I'm honestly just stating that's how it's always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.