Prisoner policy

Reaction score
Let me give you a scenario and you can answer the following question:

2 criminals kidnap a family of 4. They use them for a roleplay “jewelry heist” then want to leave. Cops negotiate with them and agree on free passage however the 2 don’t want any shootout just a chase and don’t want to be shot down while driving off. So they drop their pistols before taking off.

Are police not still allowed to open fire?

Furthermore what if they don’t drop the gun but take off without aiming at any officers, they no longer can harm anyone at this time. Should or can cops still disable the vehicle by bullets or use lethal force to apprehend ?

Backstory (PLPD Veterans and Policy experts please read):

These questions bug me because when I tried roleplay only hostage scenarios I almost always never got a chase. I was always shot down when I tried my best to avoid shooting or prompting lethal apprehension / force as much as humanly possible which is a little bit annoying considering it took 10-15 minutes to setup for the chase only for it to get quickly turned into a shootout or instant death. My concern isn’t about losing or winning I just want a fun scene so I felt bummed out that it couldn’t get to that point and I’m left wondering if that’s how cops are supposed to operate or how they actually are supposed to operate.

Max

Reaction score
If you drive in such a way that you are endangering the lives of others then your vehicle can be fired on, specifically the tyres if possible. This is the case whether you are armed with a firearm or not. Obviously after your vehicle has been stopped officers can not fire upon you if they are not certain you are armed.

Reaction score
If you drive in such a way that you are endangering the lives of others then your vehicle can be fired on, specifically the tyres if possible. This is the case whether you are armed with a firearm or not. Obviously after your vehicle has been stopped officers can not fire upon you if they are not certain you are armed.
To try and understand how that matches as an answer to the two questions I’m assuming then you’re saying

1.they can drive off if they decide to drop the weapons before getting away so long as they’re not running people over.

2. If it is certain they’re armed because hypothetically the 2 are trying to leave the scene after hostage taking at Gun point but aren’t actively aiming or endangering anybody in that moment trying to drive off you’re still able to kill them regardless while their gun is holstered.

Please correct me if I’m mistaken in my understanding.. I’m trying my best to work out a scenario here so things don’t get confusing.

Max

Reaction score
1.they can drive off if they decide to drop the weapons before getting away so long as they’re not running people over.
if they have negotiated for free passage than they can drive off regardless whether they drop their weapons or not, unless it was previously stipulated by the police that they have to.

if they are driving recklessly and endangering the lives of others ( e.g driving on the wrong side of the road, ramming cars ) and their actions pose a high risk of resulting in injury even if they haven't actually injured someone yet, then it is acceptable to fire upon the vehicle solely to pop its tyres or disable it.
2. If it is certain they’re armed because hypothetically the 2 are trying to leave the scene after hostage taking at Gun point but aren’t actively aiming or endangering anybody in that moment trying to drive off you’re still able to kill them regardless while their gun is holstered.
no even if it is known they are armed or they are visibly armed, you cannot shoot a suspect unless they attempt to pull their weapon or are an active threat to life.