Static

Reaction score
So I have recently ordered all the parts of a pc and the last part is coming Monday, I am excited to build it however I have the constant concern that I'm going to fry it with static electricity, have any pc builders in the community ever done this? Should I get a anti static band or should I just not bother? I know many people who have built pc's and they never have just looking for some extra advice before I build.

Reaction score
In my opinion PC components are a lot more resilient to static than commonly thought, I've built or modified loads of computers, never using anti-static straps and have never had any problem.

At most, I've only ever grounded myself to the case/PSU by touch while plugged in and avoided contact with the actual electronics where possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I built my first PC on carpet and wood, been running four years with no issues. i think you’ll be fine as long as you put ur components on the antistatic bags the components come in like the motherboard and GPU

Reaction score

It is genuinely rather difficult to break anything with static, but if you are truly concerned about it, make sure to build it on an anti-static surface (like a wooden table), and get an anti-static bracelet as well if you want to. You can also ground yourself by plugging in your power supply (make sure the PSU is turned off) and touching a metal part on it.

Reaction score
I only use A-S Bracelets when I'm working on someone elses computer but on my own computers; I've never ever used one. If this is one of your first PCs; use it. If not; Just use common sense

Reaction score
well I rewired my pc on the bathroom floor touching the radiator pipes to discharge the static also wear shoes and avoid socks and rubbing your clothes together
mainly just don't worry or you will start to sweat lol

Reaction score
Just touch a radiator every 15 minutes to remove any discharge and you're good. Components rarely die from discharge when handled properly nowadays.

Reaction score
So I have recently ordered all the parts of a pc and the last part is coming Monday, I am excited to build it however I have the constant concern that I'm going to fry it with static electricity, have any pc builders in the community ever done this? Should I get a anti static band or should I just not bother? I know many people who have built pc's and they never have just looking for some extra advice before I build.
just dont touch the components on the board and make sure the pc is disconnected from the power and that the power supply is off

Reaction score
ensure that you take apart your PSU every few weeks to remove any dust, make sure the switch is turned on as it automatically knows when it’s on and stick a screwdriver in the hard to reach places

Reaction score
ensure that you take apart your PSU every few weeks to remove any dust, make sure the switch is turned on as it automatically knows when it’s on and stick a screwdriver in the hard to reach places
I used to turn my pc off using a screw driver and short circuiting the board