Theft of a Motor Vehicle

Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law: New law

What law do you wish to change/add:

11.12 Theft of a Motor Vehicle
An offence will be committed by any person who, without lawful authority or permission from its owner, takes a motor vehicle for their own or another's use or, knowing a motor vehicle to be taken without such authority, drives or allows themselves to be carried in it.

Felony - liable to 6 years maximum imprisonment, $5,000 maximum fine and asset forfeiture

Why should this change/addition be made: Currently there is no robust punishment for car theft. If threat of violence is used against another then robbery would fit the bill, and other driving offences are usually committed such as fail to stop for police or dangerous driving, however, it would be good for there to be a strict and explicit charge for stealing a car alone.

What is the aim of this change/addition: It provides police more power when dealing with car thefts, especially those with passengers assisting.

Additional Information: Penalty is just a ballpark, I would rather it not be/exceed 7 years because I don't believe cops should be killed over a stolen vehicle. I am open to the idea of passengers getting lesser penalty to the driver but that would need to be correctly worded.

Reaction score
11.6 Theft
Any person who dishonestly appropriates any possession belonging to another person commits a criminal offence.

Misdemeanor - liable to 3 years maximum imprisonment, $3,000 maximum fine and asset forfeiture.

i think its the same thing i dont really thing its needed ur suggestion just specific one thing

Reaction score
  • Staff
11.6 Theft
Any person who dishonestly appropriates any possession belonging to another person commits a criminal offence.

Misdemeanor - liable to 3 years maximum imprisonment, $3,000 maximum fine and asset forfeiture.

i think its the same thing i dont really thing its needed
Yeah as it currently stands, stealing a vehicle would come under theft. I am looking to get a new law added that covers specifically stealing cars because I think the punishment should be harsher, taking somebody's pride and joy and usually leaving it a crumpled smoking mess :(

Reaction score
I do support this suggestion, as stealing a vehicle would be quite a serious felony, especially joyriding it and possible fleeing LEOs who are pursuing, in addition to this, the way the current law is written, you can receieve the same sentance from stealing just about anything, such as stealing food from another person, or stealing a firearm, or of course stealing a vehicle, some which are way more significant then the others and therefore the sentance should reflect it in my opinion.

Reaction score
Have to agree, theft law is currently not as powerful as it should be for Chop shop jobs

Reaction score
Yeah as it currently stands, stealing a vehicle would come under theft. I am looking to get a new law added that covers specifically stealing cars because I think the punishment should be harsher, taking somebody's pride and joy and usually leaving it a crumpled smoking mess :(
As goonsberg mentioned above, the reward is crazy good & it's relatively low risk depending on which time of day you do it at & if you're a shit driver or not. Not to mention some cops genuinely don't know what to charge car thieves with, I've seen multiple occasions of sweater cops charging car thieves for completely unrelated laws to car theft

Reaction score
Let’s be honest, the reward for chop shop is arguably too good…

If you do it at the right time it’s a guaranteed payout.

A harsher punishment would at least support the plpd
and who told you everyone just do "chop shop"

there is some people steal other players cars so there is not really rewards