Thoughts on University?

Reaction score
If you get into a decent degree, yes. I'm having a great time, learning shit loads of stuff and I get a decent job at the end of it

Reaction score
So long as you actually want to learn, and you're passionate about the subject you're studying, it's a good investment, with a good chance that you'll come out of it with greater career prospects.
However if you're looking to extend your childhood for 4 years and just dick about on campus whilst studying a nothing subject, then it's not worth the money.

Reaction score
Really depends on what you want to do in life, but:

1 - College isn't for everyone
2 - College is depreciating in necessity due to all these other avenues of learning - like Hustlers University :cool:

all jokes aside, don't think you HAVE to go to college to live a good life with a high-paying job.

Reaction score
so many ppl are getting groomed through the internet into dropping out of uni and entirely committing to things like online trading, crypto etc due to the promises of making money quick to the masses, which puts ur future into a very uncertain position instead of dipping ur toes in and building a foundation while remaining in education as a form of certainty

there's a reason people can get rich off trading and crypto which is because other people (a large majority) lose their money from them - the economy is not viewed as the zero-sum game it is and instead people genuinely believe promises of riches to the masses - money's value is relative so if everyone is "rich" then no one is rich so that's just not possible

university provides a pretty stable path to a decent life and a solid career IF done for the right reasons and the right steps are made - just going isn't enough, especially with degrees devaluing over time - the connections and insight into whatever your goal career is which is provided by university is near irreplaceable and incredibly valuable if utilized correctly

university provides greater opportunity for success and stability as opposed to the perception of guaranteed success and stability - if you go to university and apply yourself and take advantage of the opportunities it's absolutely worth it

but if tuition fees are raised to £30k or whatever they can fuck off i'm selling everything i own and throwing it at crypto and i'll either be rich or dead by next year

Reaction score
Depends.

Why are you asking, general question or are you trying to decide?
I am currently into my second year in US University, as such it is costing me a ton of money, not to mention time as I am going for two degrees forcing me to take summer classes, I personally am just tired but committed to it and my degrees. I was just wondering what others thought of it

Reaction score
I am currently into my second year in US University, as such it is costing me a ton of money, not to mention time as I am going for two degrees forcing me to take summer classes, I personally am just tired but committed to it and my degrees. I was just wondering what others thought of it
If you're getting two good degrees then yeah, but if your degrees are lesbian dance therapy or something then not worth it

Reaction score
Ahh so the system in the UK is fairly different, although it is expensive it is more of a tax (not literally but the way you pay it off)

I didnt go to university and am 23 earning over 40K (fairly decent for the UK but nothing crazy)

I was planning on going until i realised i probably shouldnt as i didnt actually want to and would probably drop out (king procrastinator with ADHD).

My advice for anyone is just do what YOU want. Life will throw you opportunities and it is up to you what you do, dont let others make the decision for you and you will not regret.

I would even say the same for people just going for the "experience" if thats what YOU want then do it, dont listen to anyone else, we all judge each other but never ourselves.

Reaction score
I would always tell people to go to uni, even for a year just to see if it’s smth for you, however in Belgium one year of tuition is like €1000, and even cheaper with scholarships. However as you already started, i guess it’s best to drop one of two courses if you can’t take on both.

Reaction score
I went to uni, realised it really was not my thing and now i am not in uni. Pretty sure i live in a nice home and i haven't done heroin yet. I landed a comp-sci job before i even started comp-sci at uni. I've been invited to work at a comp-sci company that focused on networks, and i turned that down in my first year of uni. I'm fully leaving comp-sci now, and i'm very happy i did not pay 10K to finish that degree. However, i do regret having turned down that job, i was pressured by my family to not do it to focus on uni and i dropped out either way. It wasn't the field i wanted to be working in for years, but it would've been more fun than what i did then nonetheless.

If, let's say, the subject of law is extremely interesting to you, then, might as well go study it. A degree is really just proof that you understand the basic concept of (insert field here). I've met people who have not studied, yet have proven their skills with other methods for jobs that required degrees, they're now pretty succesful too, but it did take them alot of effort.

Let's say that, you go study law because a hundred people told you it makes good money, but the concept is something that doesn't really interest you. If that's the case, you'll drop out extremely burned-out and demotivated, a few thousand of tuition in debt, and then not really sure you know what you want to do.

Sounds cheesy but do what YOU want do to. Not what people tell you to do, not what people say makes a lot of money, not what people say will get you alot of money in the future, fuck all that.

In your scenario it's useful to have such degrees to accelerate your career opportunities. I am not familiar with how the US works, but a few meters below sealevel here, an IT related job barely requires a degree. Companies will list in on their site, sure, but with a huge shortage in staff; you can proof yourself with past jobs, your fucking github and a test server where you demonstrate your skills on. I've met degree-less IT gods, and absolute fucking monkeys with a master in IT.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think university is a great thing, but of course you shouldn't force yourself into it if you can't succeed or you really don't like it.

Contrary to what some people might think, to me university is not just useful if you want to do a specific job (you can't become a psychologist or doctor without going to uni). Like you can study architecture as a 5-year career and end up working in insurance where you will most likely make more money, and even then having gone to university could've been a great thing (I'm using architecture because it is a real life example of someone I know).

I think university, at least in scientific careers (including things like psychology) develops a lot of "soft" skills like critical thinking. I did university while my brother didn't and if we balance the experience years, he still makes double what I will make. However in term of reasoning I think university helped me develop a lot of useful skills that he doesn't have.

Of course this doesn't apply to all careers while I am sure non-scientific courses can teach other things. Also doesn't apply to every country, in the US if the trade-off is drowning in debt, then it's more likely to not be worth it in a lot of cases.