Police Suggestion Undercover clothes for Traffic Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Undercover clothes for Traffic Officers
Suggestion Description: As the title says Traffic officers who have a unmarked vehicle spawned should be able to have either:
1. Option to have a different headweare other than the classic cap (for example the beanie, no hat like POs or glasses}
2. Being able to put on a jacket/sweater (similar to the high-vis vest), which would cover up the top of the police uniform. It could also still have the police markings one the chest and one on the back same as the current uniforms.
Option 2 would be only accessible via progressing through the ranks just like the Mercedes is. This suggestion was partially inspired by Exnem's post (https://perpheads.com/threads/job-specific-accessory-management.43472/). Feel free to add any pros or cons in the comments.

Why should this be added?:
- For traffic officers to be spotted less easily, when they are inside their unmarked cars.
- Option 2 would be an incentive to progress through ranks.

What negatives could this have?:
- For the option 1. I do not really see any cons as this already works for TFU and everyone else had beanies this winter.
- Option 2 is more controversial as it could be abused. Its abuse would be prevented by adding the disguise under the Equipment Policy and also only giving it to higher ranking, more responsible and respected officers (CPL or SGT+).

Reaction score
Like every thing that its good, unmarked vehicles need to be balanced, and I think the fact that officers still wear the uniform is the perfect way of balancing it. Otherwise it would just be too op, being able to blend in with civs

Reaction score
Honestly, the way it currently is is actually true to real life; police officers IRL that are driving unmarked cars are definitely not hard to miss when they're out in the open, that's why they implement better strategy when using them in practice. An example would be only deploying the vehicles in a high-speed pursuit where they can travel quickly to avoid being noticed before they strike. Another example would be using "quieter" or less known routes to get around. In PERP, this is good and should be encouraged.

Reaction score
This, if implemented shouldn’t be limited to traffic duties and would ethically make sense to entwine into its own division. Furthermore having unmarked police officers operating on Foot can lead to issues.

BullyHunter

Communication Banned
Reaction score
Would cause loopholes

if I get chased by a guy who isn't in uniform i'd 100% just tell them to fuck off lol.
who's to say he isn't a guy who is gonna kidnap me?

this system would require extra implementation for an 'id badge' or some shit which isn't too great imo

Reaction score
  • Staff
if I get chased by a guy who isn't in uniform i'd 100% just tell them to fuck off lol.
who's to say he isn't a guy who is gonna kidnap me?
As I said the would work like High-vis vest does. So they could before starting a chase, during it or after catching up to you just take it off. Also the whole uniform wouldn't be replaced just the top.
Furthermore having unmarked police officers operating on Foot can lead to issues.
That is why it would be policed by the Equipment Policy, which would allow RTOs to only wear the top/sweater/jacket when inside of a vehicle. And only accessible to CPL/SGT+

I also feel like that all of you skipped out on Option 1, which is very minor and wouldn't impact nothing as it already works in one way or another. If anyone could let me know what they think about Option 1 and agree with it I would be happy to make a separate suggestion only regarding the change of headwear.

Reaction score

Seeing as this for the Police Department I am going to move it but deny it at the same time. This is for a few reasons which I will list below.

1. As you mentioned in your original post, there are already open suggestions regarding the customisation of police uniform. I want to make it clear I am not denying that aspect as a possibility but as you can imagine it is a considerably large code implementation and requires a conversation with developers; I doubt it would be anywhere near this half of the year as I am sure there are other updates in the pipeline.

2. With respect to Traffic Officers who are using unmarked vehicles being able to go plain-clothes or have a less visible uniform, I agree with the others in the thread that there is an inherent issue with both a) leaving it exclusively for Traffic, and b) Traffic having such a capability in general. I get that you would ordinarily think that an unmarked vehicle = unmarked clothes but from a traffic policing perspective (at least in the UK to my understanding), they usually continue to wear full uniform and PPE.

3. The bigger question which @Benj hinted at is whether we would benefit from a new division that allows for plain clothes policing, which I consider to be an inherently different subject - it would be a substantial change and would require a large consultation with the entire community due to it changing the whole landscape between criminals and police. As such, I feel that it is better placed for a conversation in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.