University Application Preparation- Pre/Post A Level

Reaction score
University Application Preparation

This applies mostly to the UK due to our application process(UCAS) however most of the points apply universally.

The first point is that university isn’t your only option there are apprenticeships, vocational training, trade schools, etc however applying to university should be a priority for the sake of keeping your options open as you may change what you want to do post 18.

Entry Requirements
To apply to university you will need A levels or BTEC but what most people don't realise is that GCSEs are apart of the university entry requirements and if you don't have the B grades for English and Maths you simply won't be accepted so if you are aspiring to attend a top university you should be working from GCSEs.

UCAS Structure
I'm going to focus on the personal statement as the rest is just filling in personal information; where do you live? what are your choices? etc...

The personal statement is made up of 4000 characters this is important because it leaves no room to waffle and chat shit. Every word must mean something however if you want help writing it I'd suggest seeing a teacher relevant to your course choice. But the structure of UCAS is 80% academic and 20% extracurricular but the only thing that separates you from someone else with the same grades is your character, this means what type of person you are, what are your hobbies.

How to prepare for the 80%, which is academic is about why you want to study that course in Aeronautical Engineering, 'I like planes' won't cut it obviously but you need to show real passion as a 3-4 year course is a real commitment and they want people who love the course and you need to love the course as you will be spending thirty grand or put yourself through student debt for no reason and waste time. In order to give yourself an advantage and something to talk about. Take part in supercircular activities which are things you do outside of lessons which are related to your course subjects, for example, a workshop or project this shows you are active and passionate about the subject. Watch videos, read papers or go to lectures about your subject to give more content to your application.

How to prepare for the 20%, Which is extracurricular there are some basics
  1. Attend a summer school it doesn't have to be related to your course
  2. Work experience relevant to your course
  3. Volunteering
  4. Some sort of award programme such as Duke of Edinburgh
These will all go towards to building your character for your application and show why you are a more viable candidate.

Extra tips
  • Attend open days & taster days to get a feel for your course and university
  • Utilise all the resources your school/college provides
  • Easiest revision method is doing exam papers then revising the topics you got wrong then rinse and repeat.

Deleted member 1235

For the love of God please make sure you get involved in extra curricular activities.

My personal statement was what got me into university, as I didn't get the grades for my course but I was still given a offer.

Volunteering is always great, makes you look good and there's loads of different causes. I personally volunteer with the RBL, holding stalls and collections etc.

You should show how you're going to use your degree too. Just saying you really like planes or politics or whatever is all well and good, but you're not studying just for the fun. Mentioned what you hope to a achieve after university i.e become a pilot or political analyst etc.

Get it proof read by someone to check for spelling and grammar. Also keep it relevant. They don't want to hear how you used to go see the aeroplanes when you were 7. Keep it within the last 5 years or so at most.

Reaction score
It's true, I've had a mate who was 10/10 smart in every area, got A*s in her ALevels but ended up being rejected from Oxbridge unis likely due to the fact she was fuck all boring in anything but academics. Make sure you make yourself somewhat interesting.

Reaction score
you should make sure that you do well in your GCSEs dont treat them like they're nothing like a lot of people do, but dont stress about them too much either; my friend is studying in manchester and he got C grades in both english and maths. And force yourself to go out and volunteer or partake in work experience perhaps during summer holidays or during a gap year