A guide for those who have slow internet using Wi-Fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You have a good provider and router and you use wifi, but your speed is low and youget constant ping spikes? I'll tell you how to get rid of them!
What's causing the problem
It's not a secret that wifi signal gets constantly interrupted by other signals and your neighbour most likely uses your wifi, because of the signal interruption and the relay time between your PC and router, you could get lower internet speeds and constant ping spikes.
What do I need to do?
You'll need to get an Ethernet cable. Go to your local electronics vendor and ask for one. They generally cost less than $10 and come in various lenghts: 1m, 2.5m, 5m, 10m, 20m, etc. Make sure to take a look at your router and/or search for weird sockets in your room that you can't plug anything into.
Option 1: Router-PC. You need to measure distance from your router to PC and don't forget to taxe extra, e.g if distance from your router to pc is 5m, take a 10m cable. Look at your router and you should find these:
WirelessRouter.jpg
Now the left ones are what you need, ignore the ones on the right. Plug your cable into one of those, run the cable to your pc, It's better to do it by a wall or corner so you don't have a cable all over your room.
Option 2: Chances are you may find something like this (or less fancier) on the wall of your room
Power_Ethernet_Socket_angle.jpg

Now you plug your cable into one of those square-ish sockets on the right run the cable to your pc, It's better to do it by a wall or corner so you don't have a cable all over your room.

On the back of your PC you should find something like this:
03fig01.jpg
Plug the cable inside the thing that shows 3 computers on top of each others and you're good to go! your PC will automatically detect and connect to the network, no need for setting anything up! your internet speed should greatly improve and you should have stable ping now. Go on speedtest.net to check your new conenction speed.

Congratulations! You've improved your internet speed and made your ping stable! Hope I helped! xoxo, Ermak

Reaction score
I mean, not to give you any shit for making a tutorial to help people, but most people know what ethernet cables are, and the problem isn't really not having one, its when the wireless router is too far away from you, and you literally make a spider web across your house to get it to your router. And no, i'm not gonna bring the router into my room because i'm not egotistic.
And the "fancy things on the wall" for me only have 1 ethernet hole, and I use it for the house phone.

Reaction score
Thanks, alot of people who complain about ping spikes don't know their isp provided router modem combination has less broadcasting power than a wallnut. Fritzboxes are decents tough don't kill me pls

And the "fancy things on the wall" for me only have 1 ethernet hole, and I use it for the house phone.
Oh you got me
hqdefault.jpg

images

DIFFREEEENNNTTTT

Yes im a network nerd, don't let me near your wifi :booty:

Status
Not open for further replies.