Alarm and Distress!

Reaction score
I don't know if I am alone on this, but the PD really should chill out on the Alarm and Distress law. I hate it when I receive a ticket for not using my turn signals and I say "Damn it" as the officer is walking away. Then, like a startled mere cat, the officer freezes mid stride and whips around, and sprints back to my car. "WHAT WAS THAT, ALARM AND DISTRESS, HAVE ANOTHER TICKET!" It is getting out of hand.

It is by no means all the officers, but there is an increasing number of officers that assign tickets for saying one word under your breath.

M

Reaction score
Officers should realise that charging with minor crime isn't always practical. If someone is upset, for instance, and causes a disturbance by yelling, it's unlikely that they'll be pacified by a fine, it usually just escalates the matter (e.g. into a supervisor request). I do agree that in certain circumstances people should be more practical and understanding, if nobody is really affected and the matter is resolved it's generally not necessary or helpful to charge at all for minor crimes.

Reaction score
Completely agree.

Lots of officers also use it when they get swore at they turn around and say "I am alarmed and distressed at that"

You're Officers as I say "Get over it, or resign if you get offended by profanity as you encounter loads"

There are boundaries to Alarm and Distress, especially use of profanity, if in a big crowd and multiple verbals given... fair enough... officers like to just issue tickets or use it as an excuse for an extra arrest charge.

@LoganFrost see officers doing it who are ranked, make an IA or contact an on duty ranked officer (SGT +)

Reaction score
58wwKA.gif