Brighter building lights

Reaction score
I dont know if this is possible with entity or having to do a simple map edit or complex map edit so pardon me if this isnt possible. During storms and at night it gets dark obviously however it is verry verry dark inside buildings. The fire station is a prime example for this.
K1hCTRd.jpg

Its not a major thing and doesent affect many buildings but it certainly affects a few. Its just a simple idea.

The way the map currently works and the lightmapping we have there seems to be no way we can actually improve lighting at night-time. It's really sad to be honest, as it get's fairly annoying and even headlights on cars aren't really all that bright at pitch black times.

I really don't think this can be fixed, however for a more detailed explanation you'll probably need to ask @StephenPuffs

i understand but car head lights can be solved tho i think
[DOUBLEPOST=1428623980,1428623524][/DOUBLEPOST]im not a expert but i know lights have a fov and brightness setting all of which change fov is the area its spread across and brightness is well self explainitory these can be tweaked for brighter lights ive done e2 which is lua and what gamemodes run off of

Id love there to be better lights, I need full beams on my mini so I can rag it round at 50 with hazards on and beams.

It's gotta be said, the lighting in PH has never been great, I mean sure on the street or in city hall it's fantastic, it's really well done, but in buildings such as PD it's so dark in there, I can barely see who I'm talking to, the only way I do is because of nameplates. I'd love to see a fix for the lighting, but it's not really a need situation, more of a "Would like"

As I've said several times, Source does not support ambient light very well, meaning that light that bounces off a surface does not strike another surface at all other than somewhat when the map is compiled but map lighting is different yet. Making a dynamic time system is more or less out of the scope of it to do decently and have it look consistently good. So @Murtsley we have the best with what we can realistically imo. One other slight issue that may afflict some people over other is custom monitor settings, I've noticed in several tests that my monitor seems to display things brighter than some others so I can see in the dark a bit better than someone else.

I digress so back to the point...

The main issue is that if we make lights inside buildings more intense while it would be good at night, during the day it would be blindingly bright. So there's hardly any good solution to this, I understand that it may be a bit dark in some places at night, but unfortunately there's no real good solution to this with using an engine that was developed well over a decade ago. If we simply had one time of day and had no use for a day/night cycle then sure making a map that looks amazing wouldn't be hard (and the "dim" headlights wouldn't be an issue) but I think we can all agree that the day cycle is a good thing even if it has some adverse effects.

@talia nagisan The lights you're talking about are more similar to that of the ones used in headlights, however even they have a certain brightness they can obtain while trying to dim the global lighting down to make it feel like night. Avoiding it to be like an old movie where you can tell it's clearly filmed in the day and then effects added to make it appear to be night which looks meh at best. Map lights (the ones in rooms and streetlights) however are baked onto the map at the time of map compilation so they have a certain range of settings and can not be adjusted after the map is ready to use, so we can't adjust those very well (if at all) unlike in more modern game engines.

As I've said several times, Source does not support ambient light very well, meaning that light that bounces off a surface does not strike another surface at all other than somewhat when the map is compiled but map lighting is different yet. Making a dynamic time system is more or less out of the scope of it to do decently and have it look consistently good. So @Murtsley we have the best with what we can realistically imo. One other slight issue that may afflict some people over other is custom monitor settings, I've noticed in several tests that my monitor seems to display things brighter than some others so I can see in the dark a bit better than someone else.

I digress so back to the point...

The main issue is that if we make lights inside buildings more intense while it would be good at night, during the day it would be blindingly bright. So there's hardly any good solution to this, I understand that it may be a bit dark in some places at night, but unfortunately there's no real good solution to this with using an engine that was developed well over a decade ago. If we simply had one time of day and had no use for a day/night cycle then sure making a map that looks amazing wouldn't be hard (and the "dim" headlights wouldn't be an issue) but I think we can all agree that the day cycle is a good thing even if it has some adverse effects.

@talia nagisan The lights you're talking about are more similar to that of the ones used in headlights, however even they have a certain brightness they can obtain while trying to dim the global lighting down to make it feel like night. Avoiding it to be like an old movie where you can tell it's clearly filmed in the day and then effects added to make it appear to be night which looks meh at best. Map lights (the ones in rooms and streetlights) however are baked onto the map at the time of map compilation so they have a certain range of settings and can not be adjusted after the map is ready to use, so we can't adjust those very well (if at all) unlike in more modern game engines.

Why don't you just lower the darkness of the night as I remember it, it was insanely dark and I had my brightness on my monitor and Gmod on full?

To be honest I think its cool when it gets so dark, makes headlights so usefull when driving :D

Back