Cars

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I have always been into cars and racing, despite only ever owning french hatches (neither of which have ever caused me any grief fyi). However, if you pointed to a part of the engine bay, I would not be able to name the part. I have never changed a tire myself.

I want to learn how a vehicle operates with my own hands. My first thought was to start a "project car", but as I have zero experience I thought I would save the money and hassle. I would rather buy a £250, SORN it and tear it apart instead, just to understand what is actually happening, the parts, mechanisms, tools, etc.

I have searched "car forums" but the only website that is somewhat familiar is Pistonheads and I would rather not get ahead of myself. I know there are a few people here with an some experience in this area so if anybody has recommendations for the car, or resources that I could use, that would be very helpful.

Reaction score
If you have no idea about engine parts etc, it's best not to jump straight into it and buy a car and do it that way. Best way is to do loads of research online (as that way you can gain confidence at indentifying parts, which then makes it easier in the long run) Once you've taken something off you have to remember where it came off from otherwise you will shoot yourself in the foot. There's loads of diagrams out on the internet showing and explaining different car parts and what purpose they serve.

Personally I would say, do research first, get the confidence with what you're actually going to be doing. Then you can move along to the next step and buy a shitty car when you're able to confidently take part a car. I would also go for a small hatchback, things like - Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa etc. Don't go for things larger than that otherwise you will soon find yourself in the shit. E.g - Bigger cars usually are more complicated.

If you wanna ask questions then just add me on steam, I'll try my best to answer your questions etc

Reaction score
the very very best way to learn how to fix/maintain cars is by working on your own and family members vehicles. Even doing something as simple as your own oil changes, bleeding and changing brakes is an excellent way to start learning. I never take mine or my family members vehicles to a garage unless I have no other choice, or if the task is out of my hands. If you have a driveway or a garage to work in, fantastic. For someone like me who parks on the road it's a pain but I manage.
If you can change parts on your computer, for example, then you are more than capable of working on and maintaining a car. Though if you have 0 experience working on cars then I wouldn't advise you to buy a project car; the costs can spiral out of control. If you're desperate, get something that was 10 a penny like an old corsa or fiesta

Last edited: