Computer freezes/crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So a couple of months ago, my computer started to completely freeze up whenever I was playing demanding games. I don't mean stutter or lag, I mean completely freeze everything and stop all audio n stuff. It's like it turns off, except everything is still running. It won't unfreeze, so only thing I can do is hold down the power button. This started happening more and more frequently, and I ended out thinking it was an overheating issue, so I removed the side panel and had the computer running like that. This fixed my issue for a while until yesterday when I got a new case for it. This is a stealth case with 2 fans as well as the watercooling I have on my CPU. (Same watercooling as I had installed on it when I got the computer 3-4 years ago. Haven't done anything to it.). Now it has started doing it again. However now it happens even when I just start the computer, which makes me think it may not be an overheating issue. If I leave it frozen for a good 15 minutes or so, it will give me a BSOD with the error code being either "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" or "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION".

Sometimes my computers runs for hours with no problems. But sometimes it happens even on startup.

Any clues on what's going on?

EDIT 1; It seems that if I leave it sit even with BSOD for 5-10 minutes, the computer will just shut down abruptly. Like if I held down the power button.
[DOUBLEPOST=1513532310,1513531970][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit 2; It now seems that the computer will shut down/crash sometimes when I try to boot up. Not freeze, just shut down. Usually when I reboot after a freeze.

Reaction score
Since you've gotten UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION as an error, I'm thinking it might be related to an HDD/SSD. Although, we can't be sure. I've heard people get those with RAM aswell, so I'd recommend downloading a tool called MemTest86. This tests your RAM for errors, and then we'll know if that's the issue.

Reaction score
Update 3; It seems that my computer freezes even when booted into memtest86. So this doesn't seem to be system problem. Out of ideas I'm going to ask a PC repair shop for advice tomorrow.

Deleted member 5193

"Unexpected_store_exception" is most commonly associated with crashes relating to storage hardware, e.g: HDD/SSD etc.

If you have more than one storage device on your pc, take out the storage device that hasn't got any important OS files on it, and see if your PC runs smoothly.

If it doesn't, it is probably the drive with the OS on it. If you are using a prebuild with warranty, probably best to send it back. If not, try wiping all your HDD/SSDs and start fresh, as annoying as it is, it could save you a lot of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.