Computer Issues

Reaction score
Around a week ago i decided to have a little lan party with my fellow friends, and moved over my computer to my friends house. Around halfway into the gaming session, i noticed that my computer had gotten really slow (Google took ages to load up and i had major fps drops on games). I played the night out with it and searched the web for any answers but found nothing. So the day after i tried to do a factory reset, but it didn't work and the only message i got was "A problem have occurred". I tried multiple times and with quick fixes but nothing worked, so i went on to format my gaming disc, which is where i have all my games on, and it fixed it in kinda a way.

But lately, my CPU and Memory usage has been on 100% whenever i try to play a game, which happened to my other computer at my dads place for some reason, and i am totally out of ideas.

Here are my specs :
GPU : GTX 1060 6GB Asus Strix
CPU : i5 4690k
RAM : 8GB Some blue HyperX sticks don't know the exact model
Motherboard : MSI Z61 Gaming something
Powersupply : Corsair CX600M
Fans : Some regular that came with my case

Thanks for any answers in advance! <3

Please note that nothing happened to my computer when i was moving it, so it can't be anything related to that.

Reaction score
I'm not really into computer things except gaming, so i don't really know what i am supposed to look at.

Reaction score
If you can't factory reset it, you most likely have malware. When I got malware, I tried to factory reset my computer and I couldn't. It was running extremely slow and memory usage was on high. I'd suggest doing virus checks, download Malwarebytes and Security Task Manager. Also, check in the normal task manager in start up programs and see if any random programs start on start-up. Check all your processes to make sure no fishy ones are currently being executed.

Deleted member 5193

If you can't factory reset it, you most likely have malware.

This isn't always accurate. When my PC failed, I couldn't factory reset without a lot of effort. This wasn't malware, it turned out to be linked to some sort of outdated driver. I'm not saying Mango is wrong, but do be aware that there's other possibilities too.

Honestly, it sounds obvious but most solutions to your issues can be online. I used a site called Tom's Hardware to diagnose the issue with my PC, found it to be very good. If you're able to find something on there, or make a thread, chances are you'll get somewhere.

Reaction score
look in task manager and if windows update assistant is there get rid of it it's shite and used up 100% of my disk all the time

Reaction score
This isn't always accurate. When my PC failed, I couldn't factory reset without a lot of effort. This wasn't malware, it turned out to be linked to some sort of outdated driver. I'm not saying Mango is wrong, but do be aware that there's other possibilities too.

Honestly, it sounds obvious but most solutions to your issues can be online. I used a site called Tom's Hardware to diagnose the issue with my PC, found it to be very good. If you're able to find something on there, or make a thread, chances are you'll get somewhere.
I'll try it out and return with an answer, thanks for all of you replying so fast <33

Deleted member 5193

look in task manager and if windows update assistant is there get rid of it it's shite and used up 100% of my disk all the time
You can use task manager generally to monitor what's using up your CPU power, if you end up making a thread ensure you give as much detail as you can. Make sure you check what your usage and temps are usually at.

Reaction score
High CPU and RAM usages usually stems from the following issues:
  1. Malware or Unwanted Resource Heavy Programs
  2. Too many programs running on startup (skype, office, dropbox, spotify etc.)
  3. Incompatible drivers causing memory leaks
To remedy this...
  1. Run a full virus scan using your antivirus. You can also run a scan with MalwareBytes it won't do any harm.
  2. Remove unwanted startup programs: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/change-windows-10-startup-programs-3615075/
  3. Update all your drivers (graphics, sound, network, peripherals etc). This can either be done through third party software (like Geforce Experience or Realtek etc) or through the device manager: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/change-windows-10-startup-programs-3615075/. A full windows update won't hurt either.

If you manage to bring down the CPU and RAM usage but the computer is still slow on desktop and chrome etc I would then start to consider troubleshooting your Hard Drive and RAM. Here are some steps to do that:

1. DEFRAGMENT - You should be doing this regularly anyways (especially on a gaming PC). Open the 'disk defragmenter' tool and analyse/defragment your C drive (the one with windows on it).
  2. DISK CHECK - To check and fix any disk errors in your C drive, here's a guide on that: https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/ TL;DR: Run 'Chkdsk /f C:' on the command line in admin mode
  3. MEMORY CHECK - Check for any bad RAM using the mdsched tool, guide here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700221.aspx
If any of these flag up errors or point anything bad out I would suggest following up on it, that could mean replacing the part itself or any other number of things. Google is your friend but feel free to drop any questions here too. Good luck :)