Dash Cams

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have a dash cam, if so what do u use and what ones would u recommend. Currently paying just over £200 a month with a black box and can only presume having a front and back dash cam can bring it down. And no I’m not a bad driver or had a handful of crashes I’ve just recently passed my test.

Reaction score
Nextbase have basically set the standards for a decent dash cam these days. Also im handing my licence back if ur on the road, ive seen how you drive in GMod

Reaction score
I have the Garmin Dash Cam 67W in my company car and the Garmin Dash Cam 57 in my private car. Key difference is that the 67W records in 1440P with a higher FOV where as the 57 is 1080P only but offers a mount for a polarisation filter which helps during summer and bright sunny days if your windshield or dash suffers of high reflective surfaces.

Both do their job just fine and I can identify plates about 10-15 meters away from me on shitty conditions. Night time performance is also alright, I have no clue why they have a HDR capability as I have not noticed any difference on a HDR display.

Parking guard also works but even with low sensitivity it sometimes saved a clip because you opened a door. Doesn't annoy me though, just delete clips after a while.
I also have the occasional rare bug where its stuck on saving parking guard clips or just straight up not booting up at all. Thankfully you can see if its recording with a small orange LED, you can also just power it down by holding the power button down for some seconds then it'll restart.

The app sucks, get a SD-Card to USB-C/Lightning reader if you want to watch something. Thankfully my Xperia 1 V has a SD-Card slot so I don't need one (flex).

I have these installed in my OBD port so my dash cam has a constant source of power even when the ignition is turned off. It automatically cuts off power when battery voltage is getting too low or it reaches the time limit of whatever you set it to. It's kind of pricey starting at 50 Euro's though but worth the investment as I also hooked up a magsafe charger to the 2nd usb port (which is usually reserved for a 2nd dashcam for the rear).
PPBwjeP.jpeg

If you want some comparisons on video quality:

67W
57 in night time (note how you can't make out any plates on the side if you're driving but should be a non issue if you're following someone from behind)

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have a dash cam, if so what do u use and what ones would u recommend. Currently paying just over £200 a month with a black box and can only presume having a front and back dash cam can bring it down. And no I’m not a bad driver or had a handful of crashes I’ve just recently passed my test.
atleast your not going to be paying 400 a month..

Reaction score
to be fair insurance prices are just high right now, especially for new drivers. mine has come down to a decent price now but you’re probably not going to bring it down substantially by getting a dashcam (not to say it’s not worth it because it definitely is), you’re just going to have to cope with the black box for a year or two. i’ve never used a provider that even asks if you have a dash lol.

naming any relatives who are experienced drivers, parking overnight in a garage, driveway or other secure place if possible, purchasing as low miles as your lifestyle can permit/not excessively commuting (not always possible), parking in a secure car park at work (again, if possible), telematics (obvious) and paying annually if you can are some potentials i can think of. not all are gonna be applicable ofc. obviously the car you drive is also going to affect the price.

tesco does good telematics policies for new drivers. also don’t crash!

Reaction score
I used nextbase for awhile, next base do a duo camera with front and rear. Moved over viofo as they have some good features. Next base have a offer on the 422 £129 or the next one down like 322. https://nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/422gw-dash-cam
Next base do have %10 offer aswell. Use discount code NBEXTRA10 in the basket section for a 10% discount on all Dash Cams plus free delivery!
Viofo do some good cameras aswell and have some currently on offer https://viofo.com/26-1ch-dash-cam

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nextbase have basically set the standards for a decent dash cam these days. Also im handing my licence back if ur on the road, ive seen how you drive in GMod
I’m a sensible driver irl cause I can’t risk getting pulled over

Reaction score
What car have you got? If it's a Corsa or a fiesta you are fecked anyway.
I’ve got a fiesta, completely stock and is staying stock. Luckily didn’t pay a penny for it as it’s my dad’s old car.
Saving for either audi rs3 or the rs5 and I know it’ll take me a few years so I’m just using black box each year too get insurance down for when I can finally afford either one of them

Reaction score
I’ve got a fiesta, completely stock and is staying stock. Luckily didn’t pay a penny for it as it’s my dad’s old car.
Saving for either audi rs3 or the rs5 and I know it’ll take me a few years so I’m just using black box each year too get insurance down for when I can finally afford either one of them
Good luck getting insured on either of them. RS3 one of most stolen car in UK.

Reaction score
Good luck getting insured on either of them. RS3 one of most stolen car in UK.
If I’m spending about 50k on a car irl I’m getting a ghost immobiliser, and a steering wheel lock.
And I think I’ll be alright it with insurance, there’s 2 rs3’s and an rs5 on my small street on my estate

Reaction score
im 22, on a Clio 182 no mods declared and a 1.9 tdi passat no mods declared in 2k, thats with my dad, step mum and brother all named drivers.

Defo look to add parents ect