Having trouble with my microphone after an update.

Reaction score
So i recently updated my laptop, now for some reason my microphone that its normally set to, is not connecting to Gmod correctly, i know its working however, as i can hear myself when in steam settings for microphone, however when i attempt to use it ingame, it refuses to work and creates no sound from my microphone. The steam userface has also updated since i last had problems with my microphone, which means i no longer know how to connect it properly.

Solution
This is a common problem, more so when people are changing mics. After updating your system, it might've untoggled your microphone and set it to a default setting.

Just go onto your system settings -> sound and then scroll until you find the input setting - should look something like this:

I1CMg8p.png

Then obviously select your microphone.

Hope that helps
Reaction score
This is a common problem, more so when people are changing mics. After updating your system, it might've untoggled your microphone and set it to a default setting.

Just go onto your system settings -> sound and then scroll until you find the input setting - should look something like this:

I1CMg8p.png

Hope that helps

Solution
Reaction score
  • Staff

I1CMg8p.png

Hope that helps
This has worked and my microphone now works as it used to, however now there is a new issue, it has a static backdrop that is much louder then before, im going to go ingame and see how well people can understand me and see if changes need to be made.

Reaction score
This has worked and my microphone now works as it used to, however now there is a new issue, it has a static backdrop that is much louder then before, im going to go ingame and see how well people can understand me and see if changes need to be made.
Do you use an additional things, such as a pre-amp or something for your microphone? There should be additional settings if so. You do have options within GMOD to edit your audio settings. Not really sure as to why you would have such a drastic difference unless the mic itself is damaged in some capacity.

Reaction score
Have you changed the windows settings of your microphone? i.e raised the decibels or input %