help on broken laptop...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1837
  • Start date

Deleted member 1837

Hi guys I have one of those smart flat dell laptops with an i7 processor and 8gb ram. Recently I was messing with this fiddle toy which has a wierd substance inside. Anyways. It popped and went all over the keyboard. I got a towel and wiped it off but left it on until I noticed the keys weren't working properly. So I restarted it and they still didn't work. So I turned it off and carefully got the keys off and wiped the shit left by the substance away with cotton buds and water and cleared the water in most keys away immediately after. Then it wouldn't turn on so i left it for a week and water stopped dripping out the keyboard and cooling vents so i plugged it in to see if it would turn on and the fan came on and the charging light turned on and another light next to it flashed every now and then but wouldn't turn on. Have i fucked it or do i leave it for a few more weeks? (ye ik i found out recently that u shouldn't clean laptops with water)

Reaction score
Try putting it in something that absorbes water such as rice for example, to make sure you get as much liquid out of it

Reaction score
You've more or less fucked up. Riperino in your laptop.

Trande

That's the reason why you should get professionals to sort this shit out.

Reaction score
So you slimed your laptop, then washed it with water and now it's broken? Mhmm idk why it's broken. But if it's still under warranty you can maybe go to a professional computer shop and get it fixed.

Deleted member 1837

Well I just thought it had a chance CUs the fan turned on soo :/

Reaction score
Immediately after doing such thing with an electronic device bring it to a service shop! After making contact with water devices start corroding and have to be cleaned in isopropanol as soon as possible.

I have some experience in this topic because I had my Galaxy S III washed in a washing machine a year ago in a pocket of my ASG uniform. I was lucky because all that broke was the camera and the gyroscope.

But right now after letting it dry up for one week you're probably done for.

Reaction score
Id say start out by putting it in alot of uncooked rice. It absorbs all the liquid and hopefully that will do the job.

Deleted member 1837

Im lucky. It turned on but the keyboard isnt working.. It seems to be sorta doing it in steps so maybe if i leave it a little while longer the keyboard will start working again.

Reaction score
Basically what you have done by putting water / weird liquid into your laptop is you have short circuited lots of components on the motherboard and other components in your laptop. After waiting 1 week all the water should have evaporated and that was your only chance of it working again, you have most likely short circuited critical components and you have no chance of it working again even if you took it to a 'professional' they are there to solve smaller problems, not soaking your laptop in a conductive liquid.

Reaction score
Professionals can't revive your laptop, unless they replace the parts which aren't working anymore, but that will be not cheap at all, i suggest you to buy a new one: it's probably you will spend just some more money to have a computer which is 100% better than the one you have now

Deleted member 1235

Using a dry tea towel and cotton buds will only get 3/4 of the water. Dry basmati rice (As it's unscented unless you want a curry smelling phone) will absorb the smaller molecules. However as it's been a week they've most likely evaporated. Take it to your local electronics shop or if under warranty contact the company. Make sure you read the small print on what is covered though, sometimes you may have to bend the truth on how your phone was damaged (Some only cover you the individual, and not if it's the fault of others)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well you stated after that the laptop turns on but the keys don't, take it to a professional to see if there is any water left inside and you might need to replace some parts. This is why I like to use a Desktop PC :kappa: