How to 'play' Perpheads on a Steamdeck

Reaction score
Firstly, why?
I mainly play perp on my laptop and it is a blast, however, a week ago my laptop went out of commission and my addiction had to be fed so I dusted off my steamdeck and wanted to see how effect it could be at playing on the server. Long story short, after reading a couple guides and watching some youtube videos, I figured out how to play on the server and perform the most average of tasks: growing weed, bazzar shopkeeping and a chop shop.

Step 1, Installing Proton GE
Due to the steam deck using linux, some adjustments were needed to make sure it ran without crashing. So first step is to follow this guide for installing proton GE for your steam deck:

Step 2, Using the Chromium branch of GMod
To ensure you are using a 64-bit game, you should use the chromium beta version of GMod. To do this follow these steps:
  1. First select the gear icon on the game screen for GMod.
  2. Then select properties from the pop-up menu.
  3. Next, go to betas and betas participation.
  4. Finally, select the "x86-64 - Chromium + 64-bit binaries"
Steam will automatically add the files to update your game files.

Step 3, Using the Perpheads Steamdeck controller layout
I have made a simple controller layout which can be used as a starting point for your controls. It doesn't allow for all actions to be completed, but it does cover all the essentials to ensure you are not breaking any server rules. I took inspiration from GTA Online for various actions like using phone and using inventory. Due to the steam deck joysticks being unprecise, the right touchpad can also be used for more precise actions.

Author: Mr_Lumbert0n
Name: Perpheads V5 SteamDeck Layout

1000003888.jpg
1000003889.jpg

Step 4(Optional), Adjust video settings
I average around 25-30 fps whenever I play on the server with these settings but I am unaware what the fps will be on highest settings as graphics are unimportant in my opinion. To optimize the few frames you can get simply lower all options in advanced video settings except for model detail as this should remain at high, otherwise car models will bug out and be unplayable.

Step 5, Enjoy
After all that you should be ready to afk/mindlessly play on perpheads whilst, on the bus, on a plane or whilst your driving. Tasks I recommend are shopkeeping, weed growing and chop shops. Whilst mugging may be possible, raiding will be extremely difficult so I would advise against it. Anyway, I would love to know if anyone actually uses this and finds it enjoyable enough to play on a steamdeck every so often.

Reaction score
cheers lad my friends will never look at me the same

IMG_0198.png