Increase FPS (Windows 10 & ANY OTHER SYSTEM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is one way you can increase your FPS when playing games (without game optimiser)

So if you have Windows 10, you more than likely have the "Xbox App"
6a980dc724dd4f15782ddb58ff3f5768.png

From there you need to go to your settings
d9c2b4dc469d9f343152ece49f53e6e7.png

46a9949ed54358b33ebdee6bfe2e77f1.png

Now head to Game DVR and turn off the following setting;
244cd45a02cc3efa1a7ef46726b67434.png
(switch it off)

This will disable the DVR as you may or may not be aware, it launches when you open a game, this will improve fps by a wee bit but its better than it hogging the frames.

Alternate way 1: Disable DVR via Regedit

Step 1: Open Regedit (Hit Windows key and R) then type regedit (You will need to be using the admin account to do this or have the admin there to elevate permissions)
4769c760cec6be2414910b0c4af4796c.png

Once you hit enter here you will have this program open;
0b6b08cd591ce9d567fabc3223581b88.png

Step 2: head to the following directory:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
9ffd3d672ae5a60844dedddf9ab33c9a.png

Step 3:
Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0

Step 4:
Head to the following directory;
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
Create a new key called "GameDVR"
now create DWORD 32bit called "AllowGameDVR" and set to 0

Step 5: Save and reboot PC

Alternate way 2: Remove the Xbox App completely

Step 1: Find Powershell and open as Administrator - You will be greeted by a UAC prompt, do what you usually do and hit "Yes"

Step 2: Now Powershell is open, it will look like this;
86e8b9c0edae28979386d691de6590bb.png

(pretty much a Blue CMD)

You can either type or copy the following command into the Powershell
Code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage

Step 3: wait until the process is done and now you no longer have Xbox App

SOME NICE COMMANDS THAT YOU CAN USE WITHOUT WINDOWS 10
Notice: This will disable your flashlight for yourself! If you're not bothered go ahead or just miss the r_shadows bit.

First this in console: r_shadows 0
Then this: r_3dsky 0
Then this: r_drawbatchdecals 0
Finally: r_drawdetailprops 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Since this is the only stickied FPS guide at the moment and mine is outdated as fuck anyways I wanted to share this with you people looking to atleast aim for 60FPS.

I play on 1600x900, r_shadows 0, r_3dsky 0, gmod_mcore_test 1 and some other settings from my .cfg (Please fix this issue in the .cfg if you're going to use it yourself, I forgot to do this) that I created a while ago, please note that I have some commands such as the voice button toggle that I have on the bottom of the list and please use the correct network settings so you don't fuck yourself over (Experimental is currently uncommented which I use). I recently found out that the launch option '-nod3d9ex' works in V4. It used to crash your game in V1-2 after 5 minutes of gameplay but it works perfectly fine for me now and gives you a nice FPS boost and even managed to get 60FPS on my potato on a quiet area (by potato I mean 610M and i5-2450M, new build save me please). Be aware that having this launch option will make alt tabbing inside Garry's Mod take longer which also makes it more prone to crashing, your Steam overlay might also get disabled but I no longer have that problem. If someone can test this with 'fake' fullscreen (-windowed -noborder) then please do as I haven't done so yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Done all these and I'm still getting 30 FPS, I have a GTX 1050 TI don't know what gmod is dependant on for good and stable fps, pls help

Zoephix

Communication Banned
Reaction score
You can also use the following:
Task manager > details > find hl2.exe > Right Click > Set Priority > Real Time (Or High).

This will also increase performance of gmod.

Reaction score
You can also use the following:
Task manager > details > find hl2.exe > Right Click > Set Priority > Real Time (Or High).

This will also increase performance of gmod.
why "real time"? do you know what it do to your pc?

Reaction score
I remember doing this when i still had windows 10. To me, the best software fix is getting either a UNIX system or going back to windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.