Server Suggestion Indicators automatically switch off after making a turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Indicators automatically switch off after making a full turn
Suggestion Description: Suggesting to make it so that when you’ve made a full turn, your respective direction indicator will switch off automatically. I like that they stay on in some circumstances, and I think they should keep when driving in a straight line, stationary or only slightly repositioning your vehicle. I think they should auto-off either when you’ve turned maybe between 50-60 and 90 degrees and/or when you straighten up your car (different direction key) after turning, or when you’ve held the key for your chosen direction for a set amount of time. The first one probably sounds the most feasible.

Bit of a quality of life one really, nice for the donuts like me who sometimes don’t always have a hand on their mouse while driving. I don’t know how tough this would be to implement and I definitely don’t think it’s an important one, just a nice idea IMO that could perhaps be considered at some point.

Why should this be added?:
- Realistic
- QoL
- People won’t forget to turn their indicator off or take a long time doing so after making a turn

What negatives could this have?:
- Developer time could be better spent
- Not a necessary change

Last edited:
Reaction score
  • Staff
If this is possible this would be a pretty good QoL addition!
i’m the furthest thing from an expert here but i’m sure it’ll be possible to measure the angle of a vehicle between two points, and if not then it’s definitely possible to catch when someone turns the opposite direction which was one of my proposed options which ideally would go side by side with this but could work as an alternative.

Reaction score
I think what would be best is 1-3 seconds after you press the turn key it turns off automatically. Just due to the fact that sometimes you gotta tap the button to make turns due to gmod physics as opposed to hold it completely and so halfway through the turn it wouldn't shut off.

Reaction score
  • Staff
I think what would be best is 1-3 seconds after you press the turn key it turns off automatically. Just due to the fact that sometimes you gotta tap the button to make turns due to gmod physics as opposed to hold it completely and so halfway through the turn it wouldn't shut off.
That’s a fair take, but the way this works in my head is that when you smack on the indicator it records the point you’re at, then every time you release the directional key it checks to see if you have turned a certain amount (then it switches off). This means you could tap it multiple times or just hold it down once and have the same result. It could also just take a constant measurement but that could be inefficient when there are a hundred people on the server countless of which are driving.

The 1-3 seconds idea was a last resort, if that was the only option then I’d even be inclined to rescind this suggestion/lose interest in the idea because the indicator being able to constantly be on when stopped or etc is a very useful thing.

Reaction score
That’s a fair take, but the way this works in my head is that when you smack on the indicator it records the point you’re at, then every time you release the directional key it checks to see if you have turned a certain amount (then it switches off). This means you could tap it multiple times or just hold it down once and have the same result. It could also just take a constant measurement but that could be inefficient when there are a hundred people on the server countless of which are driving.

The 1-3 seconds idea was a last resort, if that was the only option then I’d even be inclined to rescind this suggestion because the indicator being able to constantly be on is a very important thing.
That's 1-3 seconds after you hit a turn key not 1-3 seconds in general. Your solution of position checking sounds extremely expensive for cpu time.

Reaction score
  • Staff
That's 1-3 seconds after you hit a turn key not 1-3 seconds in general. Your solution of position checking sounds extremely expensive for cpu time.
Ah, I misinterpreted that. I don’t think position checking on release of key sounds that bad; it saves your original position then compares your position every time you release the key while your indicator is still on. Even if it compared 20 times, I doubt it’s a CPU intensive task, especially if the margin was smaller as to how much you need to turn for it to cancel. If you’re gonna rip that statement apart, keep in mind that I’m not an expert here (again lmao).

However, your idea is a good compromise and may even work better in other people’s eyes.

Reaction score
I would love this to implemented. It would take some time to get used to due to having to manually turn it off currently. For those that don't want it, it would be nice to have a toggle in the F1 menu as I know there may be some people that would want to stick the way it is now. It would help people that sometimes forget to turn off the indicators (Totally not me).

Great suggestion overall though!

Reaction score
how am I supposed to do my american role play if I can’t leave my indicators on constantly, sounds like rubbish

Though I kinda like the click on for 3 seconds, maybe double click / hold to turn on indefinitely?

Status
Not open for further replies.