Is there any car guy here ?

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question because everyone basically here is a geek and computer-related stuff but I don't know, I thought maybe I should give it a try...anyways

I have been looking for a car guy to help me out, nothing mechanical. I bought a Mitsubishi Lancer a few days ago and I been thinking of tuning it but I have some questions before I do so because I'm not a car guy myself but I understand the basics. My uncle is a Pro Mechanic but he won't agree with the "tuning" thing so he will tell me "No, that will harm the car" etc...

If you think you can help me, PM me on forums or add me on Discord (#8299) so we can discuss further

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
I think I agree with your Pro Mechanic.... Mitsubishi are known for the customization, but the problem is if you don't know exactly what the previous owners did to the car mechanical wise, one wrong part could basically ruin your car. You should get a scope of what was previously done to it, and then go from there.

But right now you should do your standard basic tuning and repair kind of things. Tyres, Spark Plugs, Oil, the types of things you should do if you privately buy a car. And also maybe take it to a mechanical store and ask for an inspection, and they can tell you everything that needs replacing and repairing.

Reaction score
The car I bought, from an owner who had bought it from Mitsubishi motors company itself, and my uncle checked the car and it doesn't need anything so now what I'm looking for maybe install cold air intake and performance chips etc to increase hp

Reaction score
Removing the governer would also possibly help increase horsepower, but each car has different reasons for keeping it and removing it. I would check if it safe to remove.

Reaction score
if it's your only car that you commute with and you're going to tune it then absolutely not that's a very silly idea

but if it's something fun like a project then go for it. I don't really know much about mitsubishis but i can imagine parts are going to be very expensive, and you're going to have to invest in a lot more tools than you think, nothing worse than getting so far and finding you can't continue because it requires special tolerances or a tool that you don't have

Reaction score
additionally theres nothing wrong with buying something like new coilovers and wheels, better stereo etc it just dpeends what you want to get out of it

Reaction score
cold air intake won't change performance in any way it's just make it sound better, and research if a computer remap will actually gain you any power

Deleted member 5577

Incorrect, he doesn’t know what exonerated means.

Edited: 30/01/2020 Reason: @nutrient10 made fun of my grammar, despite not having a capital letter at the start of his name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This is something that depends on what type of Lancer this is and what year it's made, if this is a Lancer 1.8 litre from like 2009 you should look at how many miles the car got on it, you shouldn't tune a car with too many miles on it if the engine hasn't had a massive overhaul as of late.

Stage 1 on any car isn't really a big deal and usually works fine, you should however know that all your warranties on the car will go away, literally every single one. Doing stage 2 on a car usually brings a lot more work to it, especially if it's an automatic; You will have to get bigger brakes, you will have to get a new gearbox, you will need to get a lot of new parts to the car.

Give us more info about the vehicle.

Reaction score
its only reduced if you drive like an old granny lol if you're planting your foot everywhere which is what most people do when they tune their cars it makes no bit of difference