Job bar removal

I did this poll awhile back, but now we have a new forums and new player base, so I would like to kn

• Yes, remove it please.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I did this poll awhile back, but now we have a new forums and new player base, so I would like to know if people would support the removal of the bar at the top of the tab menu so it does not display jobs taken / available. This would enhance roleplay as people would not know how many police are on the force at that time when they rob the bank, unless they've really scouted it out like should be required. As well as calling for medics every time instead of simply holding tab to see there are none.

Anyhow, vote for if you would support the removal of it.

With Job Bar"Hey! let's rob the bank!" "No man, there is a SWAT, let's wait for him to quit his job" W/o Job bar "Hey let's rob the bank!" "Is there a SWAT?" "No idea". This will make people be more careful with robbing the bank and will also make the SWAT team less bored by making them respond to Bank robberies, usually people don't rob the bank when there is a SWAT.

Reaction score
The Lieutenant should still have access to this information though, it is essential for coordination.

Reaction score
I agree with Luke. The Lieutenant should have this information. And each job should see it's number of employees. For example, if I'm a swat officer, I'd like to know how many are in my team.

Dye

Reaction score
StephenPuffs;n2223 said:
I did this poll awhile back, but now we have a new forums and new player base, so I would like to know if people would support the removal of the bar at the top of the tab menu so it does not display jobs taken / available. This would enhance roleplay as people would not know how many police are on the force at that time when they rob the bank, unless they've really scouted it out like should be required. As well as calling for medics every time instead of simply holding tab to see there are none.

Anyhow, vote for if you would support the removal of it.

However, listen to this example: someone breaks a leg and calls 911 asking for a medic to xyz location and doesn't get a response for 10 minutes. He then starts to flame OOC that the medics are doing a shit job and for an admin to deal with the AFK medics. 5 more minutes pass. This situation is so common by now that people have given up telling people in OOC that there are no medics. Player with the broken legs leaves the server because his gameplay is severely gimped with broken legs.

You say "As well as calling for medics every time instead of simply holding tab to see there are none." as if it inhibits gameplay in some way. Yes, it isn't 100% realistic, but neither is the city having no medics. If you wish to roll this out, make jobs more enticing. Perhaps there are so often no medics because the job is boring. Spice it up. Let them do more.

Alternatively if you're going to do this make a way for players to fix their own broken legs so they aren't dependant on something that doesn't exist (lack of medics).

In my opinion, this is a silly idea. People call the medics in real life because they KNOW they're there. They don't have to guess.

edit:
On this topic, "Enforcer" is a useless rank.
Why are you employing (scratch that, crowd searching for volunteers) to be admins on the server. Telling them to administrate the server and then not giving them the powers they need to do so? You may argue, "oh they have this power which helps them", sure! They do! However, why are you limiting the powers they have? Why hire an extensive team of gimped admins that require the help of an actual admin to do their job? You might as well cut out the middle man and just get the admin to do it (or, you know, not hire an extensive team of gimped admins).

Reaction score
Dye;n2278 said:
However, listen to this example: someone breaks a leg and calls 911 asking for a medic to xyz location and doesn't get a response for 10 minutes. He then starts to flame OOC that the medics are doing a shit job and for an admin to deal with the AFK medics. 5 more minutes pass. This situation is so common by now that people have given up telling people in OOC that there are no medics. Player with the broken legs leaves the server because his gameplay is severely gimped with broken legs.

You say "As well as calling for medics every time instead of simply holding tab to see there are none." as if it inhibits gameplay in some way. Yes, it isn't 100% realistic, but neither is the city having no medics. If you wish to roll this out, make jobs more enticing. Perhaps there are so often no medics because the job is boring. Spice it up. Let them do more.

Alternatively if you're going to do this make a way for players to fix their own broken legs so they aren't dependant on something that doesn't exist (lack of medics).

In my opinion, this is a silly idea. People call the medics in real life because they KNOW they're there. They don't have to guess.

Interesting points; mostly agree, but I think it's a sacrifice worth making. Also, Police officers should always respond to ANY 911 call, be it fire or accident related, so that would help to lessen the problem of people waiting endlessly for a medic that doesn't exist, when Police officers do their job correctly, anyway.

Dye

Reaction score
Luke;n2282 said:
Also, Police officers should always respond to ANY 911 call, be it fire or accident related, so that would help to lessen the problem of people waiting endlessly for a medic that doesn't exist, when Police officers do their job correctly, anyway.

Why should they? If my granny slips in the bath and breaks her hip she doesn't get the police coming round to see what's up. :l

I can't, myself, vote for any of the two options listed. The bar's removal should not be considered as though its existence is binary: it stays, RP is broken; it goes, RP is fine. That isn't exactly how it is, though.
Should the bar be removed, maybe as a member of the law, have an app in the phone display a list of players who have clocked in for the various jobs they have communication with (this, of course, wouldn't include, say, the road worker). With that implementation, though, medics and firemen would have to punch in on the app or something. That way, RP wouldn't be broken by getting all the information the scoreboard would provide previously, and frankly, officers would know if there were medics on standby, or if they were held up by some other issue.

Reaction score
Of course lieutenant and mayor would be able to see the job or at least limited number of them. Lieutenant would see how many police, medics, firefighters, and road crew are available, while mayor would see all government jobs, so this excludes taxi driver and delivery at this time. Since those are privately held jobs not paid by city funds.

But if someone had broken legs, you say that they'd never get the help they need because they can't see if there's a medic? I'm sorry but that is total BS, considering that if someone like that is in need, they could either stop an officer or get a ride from a taxi, or by some other means find their way to the hospital, since generally speaking people just drive them self there and never call the medic as it is, which is why the job IS so boring. Some jobs such as medic/firefighter/SWAT may not have much to do and could be considered boring, but not all of RP is ever glamorous, if you think this is simply another gamemode to shoot people down, you are sorely mistaken. However if you have any useful suggestions how to make them more useful and have it so more people would be willing to do it, which doesn't include hiking their pay higher because that just makes people take it for the money that they get for doing nothing. As the saying goes, "it takes a village" meaning all parts must work together in a cohesive group for the city to do well. I'm sure if you or a friend had broken legs you would easily find your way to hospital, and since in the new map, the hospital will be actually inside the city limits, it is far more accessible than it is now, so while it may be a pain for a lil while if that's what you're concerned about it, soon as we switch over, it'll be in a far easier location to reach.

Dye

Reaction score
StephenPuffs;n2348 said:
But if someone had broken legs, you say that they'd never get the help they need because they can't see if there's a medic? I'm sorry but that is total BS

Doesn't change the fact that calling for a medic is futile when there are no medics..

edit:
Thanks for responding so professionally.

Reaction score
Dye said:
StephenPuffs;n2348 said:
But if someone had broken legs, you say that they'd never get the help they need because they can't see if there's a medic? I'm sorry but that is total BS

Doesn't change the fact that calling for a medic is futile when there are no medics..

edit:
Thanks for responding so professionally.
Well, I'll call a spade a spade so it is what it is. There's plenty of ways to get to the hospital to heal your legs, so sure calling for a medic when there is none would be in vain, but from what I witness, most people don't even bother to call for a medic no matter what situation they're in. So I would say calling when there is none is better than never calling when there is one.

When i go to call a medic, i check if there is one first, i check if there is fire crew, maybe just take away Officers and SWAT from the top bar, but at lease keep Fire Crew and Medics on there.

Reaction score
I think it's simple. You may remove the bar, do what the others have proposed and let the citizens see whether or not there are medics and possibly firefighters (2 variants - common [slots taken/total slots] or just to show if there is anyone working). And it would also help to see if there is a mayor.

Edit: Optionally it could show if there are any available slots for police, medics and firefighters, so we don't have to go to to the NPC just to know it.
Here is my final proposition: remove everything from the bar except for paramedics and possibly firefighters (taken/available), let us know in some way if there is a mayor, and this:

StephenPuffs;n2348 said:
Of course lieutenant and mayor would be able to see the job or at least limited number of them. Lieutenant would see how many police, medics, firefighters, and road crew are available, while mayor would see all government jobs, so this excludes taxi driver and delivery at this time. Since those are privately held jobs not paid by city funds.

Reaction score
Voted yes, I remember constantly seeing people base their actions on that bar. "Oh, let's rob the bank, there's only one Officer" or "Don't go in there, we've got no medics on". Would make Roleplay so much better.

Reaction score
It would be nice to know if there is a mayor or not. Sometimes its hard to keep track in Evo.

Reaction score
Lil VooDoo said:
It would be nice to know if there is a mayor or not. Sometimes its hard to keep track in Evo.
You could go to the NPC in the nexus and ask here if you could be added to the ballot. If there's a mayor she will say the following; We already have a mayor, come back and try again later.

Reaction score
Lil VooDoo said:
Just a bit of a pain when you out doing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.