K11 - Pain indicators to improve roleplay. (idea 37/154)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Topic: Red and orange lines/borders/screen flashing to improve "pain roleplay".

How often does it happen to you that you are mildly or majorly injured and you forget about it?

Short explanation (in notes):

A. Red slowly blinking screen borders for bleeding state (It's not visible enough right now).
B. Not flashing borders displayed with different width depending on the severity of injuries.
C. Orange borders showing when close to fire, transparent orange screen when being burned.
D. Red line on the bottom shown when your legs are broken.
E. Screen flashing transparent red when you're hit/shot.
(All borders and lines are supposed to be gradual/gradient, not solid.)

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
Here are checklist answers: This idea makes sense, doesn't break anything, it adds realism and a lot of roleplay. Good points - everything. Bad points - it doesn't seem like it's easy to code but IMO it's definitely worth it. There would be no way to abuse it and you can improve it.

First of all, hardly ever anybody roleplays pain and injuries because we either forget or don't care about what the text on the left shows when we open the inventory.

Point A:
It would work with Stephen's idea to make the blood loss depending on type of injury/times shot/calliber. Bigger blood loss - bigger blinking borders. When it stops - red borders stop blinking and remain to indicate pain. When you lose more and more blood, borders slowly become wider.
Point B:
This is where it starts to improve roleplay. Slightly bruised - brief red borders. Critically injured - literally-covering-half-of-your-screen-big. Etc.
Point C:
Here's an example: I had been a paramedic and at one time I drove to the hick town to revive some suspects and police officers. After half a minute I died of 3rd degree burns but I didn't know I was burning.
Small orange borders should be shown when you're really close to fire, but when you already feel pain, they shouldn't be shown. When you're being burned by fire, screen should be coloured in transparent orange.
Distance at which borders appear and screen becomes orange will depend on whether you are a firefighter or not.
Point D:
Most people ignore broken legs like it's nothing, walk and after some time call a paramedic because it turns out they can't run or jump. And sometimes they ask why they can't move fast.
A big red line on the bottom of the screen will add some roleplay to it (not as big as critically injured state borders, but still big).
Point E:
Depending on the damage, screen flashes red when you're hit with something blunt (nightstick) or fists. Less transparent flash when you're stabbed, hit with a bat or shot and even less transparent when even more damage is received. It could either overlap red borders or show underneath them.

By the screen flashing red I imagine it losing transparency to a defined point and then either disappearing as fast as it appeared or 2-3 times slower.
Border or line appearing - losing transparency to become red, not appearing instantly.
Blinking - slowly losing and gaining transparency.

Optional additions:

-Option for epileptic people - screen flashing slower (could be enabled by default).
-It should be client-side of course, if possible, to prevent server lagging even more.

And speaking of client-side, I don't know how it exactly works but maybe some things causing server to lag could be changed to client-side.

Next on the list of my suggestions: a list of small improvements and changes, and pistol damage balance.

Reaction score
Love the idea, But yeah it "MIGHT" be a little hard coding, Support, Then i don't get confused when my legs are broken etc etc :D

Reaction score
+Support I had daymon hitting me with a M9 and I didnt know that he was hitting me. Bring in the pain sounds so people actually know that they hit someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.