K8 - Automatic searching - a deliberate and long awaited idea. (idea 34/154)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've removed a few stupid ideas from my list + removed police radio animation and drug dealer SMS - it's already been done by Fredy.

Topic:
Automatic chat /description showing what a suspect or a mugged person has on him.

Short explanation (in notes):
- when you have a nightstick out (optionally fists) and press "use" on a handcuffed person, text on his screen appears asking him to press "+use"
- a chat /desc shows for example: John Doe has an MP5, a/an <name of the pistol here>, bobby pins and bags of drugs.
- if he refuses, /me is <either "refusing to be searched" or find a better word to describe it>

- when you are mugging someone and have a gun, a machete, a knife or a baseball bat in your hand, same message on his screen appears
- a chat /desc shows for example: /desc John Doe has a pistol /an MP5/a Mac-11/a machete etc., a wallet with money in it and a phone.
-If magazines and ammo can be demanded from a mugging (I forgot i they can), add them as well - "one or more magazines".

-also possible - /desc John Doe doesn't have anything. / John Doe doesn't have anything illegal.

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
The message for police should be "A law enforcement officer is searching you for illegal items. If you don't refuse, press the use key."
For muggings - "A person is searching you, while holding a weapon in his hand. If you are NOT in a public setting, press the use key."
It could be either in the middle of your screen in white font or as a pop-up message (with pop-up sound) on the bottom right.

To make it easier to code:
-No weapon names, only "pistol/MP5/Mac-11" and no primary weapons visible on one's back.
-Unnecessarily easy way - /desc showing only if someone has a primary or secondary weapon and other items/money.

Short "why should it become added":
Answering the list of questions:
It's a good idea, doesn't break anything, is probably realistic, positively affects roleplay - less metagaming (because currently the inventory isn't really In-Character), good points - possibly leads to less admin situations and improves roleplay, bad points - it would take time to make it work. If it's going to be bug-free - there would be no way to exploit it and finally - it's definitely worth the effort.
0 inventory check reports + some 2.1/3.4 reports on sweatervests = possibly less reports all together.

I don't think anybody needs more reasons for why it should become added.
And by the way, it's possible someone has already started working on it.

Don't forget about delivery men, taxi drivers and other non-gov jobs while coding it.

Optional additions:
- Allow multiple searches - to be sure a person has dropped all the drugs or all the money he had

Last edited:
Reaction score
/desc is already ingame as a /it so you could use the command to describe anything from a scratch on your car to what you have on you.

+Support for a search mechanic people tend to miss things accidently or intentionally, The search mechanic like the one on clockwork where you need to zip tie them then you can access their inventory.

Reaction score
@Brian Husky Do you have an idea how many times people abuse the fact that there is no search system in place by saying they don't have anything? Nobody knows it because admins are not called too often to searches.
As money=time and some people don't want to waste time, they lie when they're searched.

In other words, are you serious? Why do you see abuse everywhere? Yes, I won't lie, it will be abused, but abuse exists since the day people in the original PERP started being arrested and searched for drugs and weapons.

What do you think about this idea instead: admins should be called to every search done by a cop or mugger without this system in place to preserve proper roleplay. Do you think it's a better idea?
The message asking "Do you allow to be searched" is to avoid random searches or muggings in public areas.
Example: A fail cop makes a report and it turns out he had no right to search someone? Give him a warning. He calls an admin stupid? Ban him. One fail cop less!

If someone refuses to be searched in a mugging in an appropriate area, tell him you will report him for 3.4.
Say someone doesn't want to be searched for illegal items. Then tell him in LOOC he's not playing realistically. What's the problem? If he still refuses, call an admin, but it won't happen too often if you tell someone he will get banned.
I'm pretty sure reports will happen statistically less often or the amount of them won't change because not all players want to be banned instead of dropping money or drugs if they like PERPheads RP. You can quote me on this sentence. If someone gets banned, it's better for us - one person, who doesn't care about roleplay, less.

Right now searches are like this: say someone has for example $20000... Or even $150k. He is mugged and drops a random amount like $1985 and he says that's all he has. Or if he has lots of money, he could say all he has is $12567. I've yet to see one mugger call an admin to see if the mugged person was lying. And thus it breaks RP.

In my point of view all that could be made better to avoid people abusing it is:
A. Making a test similar to those for jobs for players who join the server for the first time with big letters above it saying "THIS IS A SERIOUS ROLEPLAY SERVER. ACT LIKE YOU WOULD IN REAL LIFE"
B. If someone is searched or mugged for the first time, add text below the usual text saying in bold letters "Please remember about rule 2.1 - act realistically. If you refuse to be searched if this situation is realistic, you will get banned.", or something along these words.

And now again a response to @Brian Husky - if you think this system would lead to more abuse than there is right now because of people lying, then I don't know what you're doing.

I'm going to defend my suggestion until a developer tells me it's a bad idea and should be denied.

TL;DR - it will help preserve roleplay, LEAD TO LESS OR THE SAME AMOUNT OF ADMIN SITUATIONS and it's needed to avoid people lying not to lose their items or money.
If you can improve this suggestion, feel free to do so.

About jail NPC idea - sometimes you have to search someone for weapons or drugs to decide whether he was involved in a crime or not.

Reaction score
Krzeszny

True. Now i am starting to agree, becouse if someone abuses they can do a /report. If someone doesn't allow the be searched you can do a /report. This will help RP. And lets not forget that there will be good things about this. I will change to +support, but this still will end up with a bit more /reports

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Brian Husky, post: 35499, member: 126"Krzeszny

True. Now i am starting to agree, becouse if someone abuses they can do a /report. If someone doesn't allow the be searched you can do a /report. This will help RP. And lets not forget that there will be good things about this. I will change to +support, but this still will end up with a bit more /reports
[/QUOTE]
I understand where you are comming from which Is why the police should only be able to search if they need to and mostly if handcuffs are on like on clockwork where the person needs to be ziptied

Reaction score
Complete support.
It is way too easy for people to lie about their inventory, especially when being mugged or searched for a police investigation. And if the one searching/mugging doesn't know that they're lying, that person would get away with breaking the rule about fear rp.
And as it has been mentioned, it would, hopefully, lower the amount of reports people make about searching/mugging someone, where the suspect/victim refuse to drop all they have, by lying about their inventory.

Reaction score
+support i hate that i have to ask an admin to do it for me all the time

Reaction score
I'd rather only have the cop npc allowing you to search the suspect.

And if I'm honest if people were allowed to search other people it would end up in everyone mugging each other while we are actually trying to prevent to promote illegal activities.

Right now PERP is more of an robber vs cop gamemode instead of an proper serious rp server.

Currently we are looking for ways to make people roleplay more instead of people focusing on making money by doing illegal activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.