K9 - Automatic&customizable police unit numbers system. (idea 35/153)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There, have a good suggestion.

Topic:
An automated unit system Lieutenant can see and change in the F3 menu to organize officers better.

Short explanation (in notes):
-Automatically assigned unit numbers (1-10) visible in the demotion menu for LT - when someone leaves, someone else takes his number. Lieutenant - unit 0.
-Lieutenant can assign up to 2 or 3 officers to one unit when those officers are partners.
-Ability to assign someone to unit 0 if he patrols with Lieutenant.
-Next to the unit numbers time can be shown since joining police (recently) so LT can know whether someone has joined for example 5 minutes ago or 2 hours ago.
-They should show up in the radio voice-chat text and above officers' heads only visible to other officers.
-Speed Enforcement officers will have number 11 and 12 as well as "cruiser/no cruiser" info
-F3 menu for normal officers could show all officers on duty as well as unit numbers. It would help a lot to know who is where and in which unit he is.
-Medics will get number 21-24 as well as "Ambulance/first responder/no car" information.
-Firemen will get number 31-34 as well as "<type of vehicle>/no vehicle" information.
-S.W.A.T. doesn't need unit numbers but they need the F3 menu.
-Information next to all officers telling Lieutenant and other officers whether they have a car or not (so officers can ask a unit to patrol with them and lieutenants can tell an officer to patrol with a particular unit)
-Every officer should have his unit number visible next to the radio icon.

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
It's a not too complicated and probably temporary system to make police force more organized.
I think that even though this suggestion isn't the easiest to add, it's worth the weight. As far as I know you were working on something that would improve police force organization and this suggestion could be a temporary fix.
Lieutenant will get the ability to move an officer to already existing unit (by right clicking) with a context menu pop-up.

When an officer leaves or joins, an automatic radio message will say it as usual, except with the unit number.
Example: when Unit 1 leaves and someone joins after that, he/she assigned to Unit 1 (if no officers are in it).
Another situation which makes it useful: There are 4 medics and LT asks a particular medic to respond somewhere. That unit could say "I'm busy with something else" and then LT asks another unit to go there instead of 3 ambulances responding to the same place.
It's a great idea to organize gov force and I don't think I need to further explain its usefulness. Of course I'm not saying it's perfect and it's not up to me to decide.

Optional additions:
-SWAT doesn't need unit numbers at all - they can use their names.

Have any additions? Feel free to post them below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
+support: This morning officers were using this system, and radio comunications were much easyer (since you don't have to say the name of an officer that can be long and complicated) also it sound more real. There was a problem when a new officer joined because he didn't know which unit he was, and this idea will solve it

Reaction score
This is a nice idea, yet something along the lines of this has already been suggested (I'll edit my post with a link if I can find it)
There are some pros and cons of course.
Firstly, I don't know whether its the way you have explained this or not, but this numbered idea seems a little confusing and with enough things to worry about, like rules and preforming duties, something like this may become a little daunting and might have some negative effects on the RP.
Secondly, VIPs have their own cars, and to be honest, having to worry about someone along side you can be quite a pain especially if you go different ways at a crime scene. Maybe this could just be used to help non-VIPs partner up with each other.

Reaction score
+support

I remember one time there we used the system with the unit numbers. It much more better organized than without unit numbers. Let's say there is an respond about loud music from the neighbour. Without unit numbers there would be like 5 officers who responded to that. With unit numbers the lieutenant could say " Unit 5, respond to slums apartment 1. A guy who live there reported a noise pullotion.

Reaction score
I think a form of unit numbers would be useful, and also, maybe, as any government member, you can hit F3 and see what person is in what job and their unit number, because at the moment, standard officers, medics, and pretty much everyone but the LT or mayor, is in the dark about how many officials are even on duty.

+Support

MattIs

Good idea but the point of the LT is to do all this. The reason LT is becoming whitelisted is because of people not doing the job effectively. As much as this is a good idea. I doubt it will ever happen :(

Reaction score
As some people may have noticed we are currently changing up the police force some and its hierarchical structure, there are some changes that may be necessary to go along with. I have been working with @Xquality the past week regarding this very thing. It took a bit of thinking and ingenuity as to do this idea without bloating content size massively, but we found a good way to do so. The numbers may be slightly more fuzzy than POLICE written on the side as a result. However based on what I could tell for myself the numbers were still plenty clear from 4m+ away, so hardly a problem. I will edit this post later to include picture(s) from sandbox testing so you can judge for yourself.

In my mind unit numbers will essentially be a unique number you pick upon joining police before spawning your car. So if you have a preferred number and no other officer has taken it, you can freely pick it. There will only be limited presets of course, but there will be enough for each to have their own.

Because this idea includes content changes, it may take longer to roll out than some others. However I can safely say something like this is in the works. Just need to find ways to make it all tie together.

Status
Not open for further replies.