Keep losing connection spontaniously

Status
Not open for further replies.

amr

Reaction score
I keep losing connection from the server all the time sometimes after each other sometimes never at all once it only came after 5 hours when there were 2-3 people on but usually at the server's peak I lose connection continuously. Help

Solution
UPDATE: So i’ve tried installing a bunch of new drivers I assume weren’t installed before hand since I switched back to windows, I also updated my bios since it hasn’t been updated since 2019, the issue still happenes but less frequently and also depends on the time of day which makes me feel like it’s more of an ISP issue right now.

I dunno if it makes a difference but while I connect using ethernet the internet bar doesn’t recognize the internet name it just says network, however before my switch to linux and back it recognized it normally so i’m not sure if that adds anything.

Right now i’m keeping the thread open since some people may still have some other tips I haven’t tried as well as proof when I lose connection while making...
Reaction score
Anything else we should know?

Using a VPN?
Ethernet or wireless?
Anything in the console before losing connection?
How's is your local area for the internet?

amr

Reaction score
I dont use VPN, I am using ethernet, I get nothing in console just the red error top right, I am running 260 MBs download and my local area is stable and has never shut off.

Reaction score
If this is relevant then it’s worth mentioning that myself and some other people kept dropping connection on the PERP TS the other night, @blackdown had noticed this too so if this issue could be brought to the owners to look into would be highly appreciated

Reaction score
Recently there has been some bad connection issues. Could be something to do with the server itself and not individual people?

Reaction score
Possible solution, worked for me ages back:

Go to your control panel -> network and internet -> network connections
Right-click your ethernet adapter
Go to properties
Toggle packet scheduling on.

Overly simplified: the packet scheduling can limit how much bandwidth an application can take up. However, if you already have it turned off, I would suggest turning it back on as a test, it will increase your ping a tiny bit but should make the connection 'more stable' if you are metagaming in discord at the same time ;)

amr

Reaction score
UPDATE: So i’ve tried installing a bunch of new drivers I assume weren’t installed before hand since I switched back to windows, I also updated my bios since it hasn’t been updated since 2019, the issue still happenes but less frequently and also depends on the time of day which makes me feel like it’s more of an ISP issue right now.

I dunno if it makes a difference but while I connect using ethernet the internet bar doesn’t recognize the internet name it just says network, however before my switch to linux and back it recognized it normally so i’m not sure if that adds anything.

Right now i’m keeping the thread open since some people may still have some other tips I haven’t tried as well as proof when I lose connection while making meth :|

Solution
Reaction score

Right now i’m keeping the thread open since some people may still have some other tips I haven’t tried as well as proof when I lose connection while making meth :|
It does still only happen in gmod or also on different games?

First thing you could do is shoot your ISP an email or give them a call and ask for any of their support, they are the professionals after all. It might be an issue in one of your cables and the only way to fix that is to have someone employed by your ISP come over. You could do it yourself but if you break it it doesn't get repaired for free.

Are you on Ethernet or WiFi? If you are on Ethernet try switching ports in your router, maybe that helps.

A lot of times turning it on and off again also helps, you could give that a try. Just turn both your modem and router off (if you have both) and then wait a few minutes, go get a cup of coffee. Turn it back on again and see if the issue has been resolved.

If nothing seems to work, post a thread on the Linus Tech Tips forums or Tom's Hardware forums. They all know much more about this sort of stuff than we do.

Reaction score
ensure that you don't have a wireless card and ethernet cable plugged in simultaneously, i had this exact issue for a little while before i unplugged my wireless receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.