Lets talk about Community Managers.

Reaction score
A bit about me within the community
If you don't know me much then that is fine, the community has expanded significantly in the last year and not many people other than more veteran players know me. I joined PERPHeads in November 2013 meaning this year I will have been a member for 10 years. I launched the Police Department Whitelist along with a couple of others and have experience in both the criminal side of the server as-well as an extensive amount of knowledge in the police side. I have seen ups and downs in this community throughout this time and seen every iteration of the map from Evocity to V1 through to what will soon become V6. I have been here throughout multiple downs in the community where the population of the server was seriously down or where some very unpleasant people have had to be removed to safeguard everybody here. I have been a staff member twice before, the first time was around 2014 when I was a moderator, which I was eventually demoted from. I was then invited to be a moderator again a couple of years ago, which was during one of the biggest downs of the community in population. I made so many friends in this community and absolutely love every aspect of it and was not willing to let it simply die down which is why I did everything that I could to keep it going especially given it is an old platform and most people have moved onto games such as FiveM. I produced a couple of trailers for the server and was offered the role of Community Manager to help Ethan with getting the server off the ground again as follows;

The work @Efan and I did to get the server off the ground again
  • Launched Secret Santa
  • Revamped and Continuation of the Yearly Community Awards
  • Created a Discord Server to be up to date with other communities
  • Created the official server trailer
  • Introduced the community spotlight
  • Conducted regular progress reviews internally
  • Started running community surveys
  • Created more forum titles for trophy points
  • Launched an events team to get more people on the server
  • Improved administrative functions replacing action requests etc with a form system
  • Replaced all the police department badges
  • Improved the guides system with PERPHeads Help
  • Improved the support section to include best answers
  • Community CS:GO Tournament
  • Introduced the New Player Survey which is still going on today
  • Streamlined process for training and removing staff members
  • Spoke out to YouTubers to help advertise PERPHeads
  • Introduced Content Creator
  • Welcome message for all new players to increase immediate day one retention
  • Added new player tag to increase day one retention
  • Gave new players VIP and extended it to increase retention
  • Introduced linking SCAMBans to Discord to sync roles
  • Friend referral system, this was since discontinued
  • PERPHeads Rewind
  • PERPHeads YouTube Channel
  • Increased the server slots
  • Introduce a ban dispute rota to increase times for appeals
  • Structured the admin team so each admin has a role to play
Tell me about your activity and real life self
This section is inspired by the below quote

I'm a 23 year old man from the UK, I am employed as a Police Officer and have done this for the last 5 years. I volunteer my time for free as a Community Manager and do not receive any payment at all for it. I have previously received rewards from the owners but not anymore, yet continue to give my time up here. I often work up to 60 hrs a week and have a girlfriend and family but still manage to find time to keep my role on PLPD and interact with players in-game, interact with staff and do other regular commitments which I will detail below. Unfortunately my in-game activity isn't as much as some staff members due to the above commitments but is still in my view enough to understand what problems the community are facing and address them and continue to make improvements.

What are some of the changes you have done more recently?

As Exnem said, all dramatic changes we have done were at the start of our time here as Community Managers and we are most certainly taking a more maintenance approach to the community now. We do still make changes on occasion and some of these include the new Demo Request System which we suggested on 30th July 2021 and has recently finally gone live;
  • enforcing name standards for all staff
  • introduction of developer meetings with thanks to Dank for taking lead
  • recruitment of new developers
  • increasing server slots to 128
  • introduced a ban dispute rota to increase appeal response time
  • interview and selection of police department chiefs
  • working with developers to test and suggest updates
  • introduction of staff discord
  • introduction of helper meetings
  • introduction of in-game community Q&A
  • introduction of safeguarding system
  • huge staff recruitment drive meaning we now have over 45 staff members to keep up with the new player count and demand
So what regular responsibilities do you currently in the community?

So to give you an indication of some of the things we do on a regular basis, these include
  • regularly going on the server and identifying commendable roleplay and helpfulness
  • preparing the above findings into the monthly community spotlight
  • attending admin meetings up to four times a month deciding on enforcer applications, helper applications, promotions to moderator, senior moderator and administrator, rulings on serious bans or bans that have an impact on the community such as cheating or toxicity or safeguarding
  • regular review of community suggestions so that we can improve ourselves and the server
  • attending newly introduced helper meetings to identify regularly occurring questions and review powers and permissions of helpers
  • attending developer meetings to review the suggestions backlog
  • reporting to owners regularly and looking for trends in player count, looking to always keep it maintained or increasing
  • hosting scripted events in-game although player count is not currently allowing this to be as regular as we want
  • hosting in-game roleplay events, examples of this includes the christmas market, talent show or various competitions
  • answering enquiries from other communities
  • review of helper complaints daily
  • dealing with misconduct from community team
  • attending full staff meetings to take note of suggestions and problems
  • rule of the month
  • review of forum message enquiries (approx 2-3 a day)
  • review of steam/discord message enquiries (approx 5-6 a day)
  • review of slack message enquiries (approx 4-5 a day)
  • supporting the admin team with refund requests
  • supporting the admin team with reports
  • review necessity of ongoing communication bans
  • review of all 1.1 bans/blacklists/warnings and issuing communication bans off the back of them
  • issuing and review of community resolutions
  • and a lot more which I can't think of right now
For any day where I spend 1 hour in the server, I have probably committed about 5 hours out of the server doing background tasks.

Tell me about your admin powers
So to put it simply, we have the power to basically do anything regards to this so bans, warnings and blacklists. I will never do regular reports, why would I even want to? I have significant moderator experience but I have no interest in dealing with reports. I do and will use my powers though to remove people from the community that I feel are not safe for the rest of us for them to be here, or it is not in the communities interest for them to be here, this includes allegations of paedophilia, cheating and toxicity.

ZgzbZhl.png

Outstanding Reports - 17th February 2023

As you can see we do reach very high amounts of reports from players and sometimes I will jump in to assist with some but make a point of not taking on regular administrative tasks, as I am far too busy and this is not my role as we agreed when we introduced community manager.

What are you doing about safeguarding?
As some of you may be aware, we have had to 'Community Wide Ban' individuals for serious safeguarding concerns. A community wide ban includes a server ban, forums, discord, teamspeak and any other PERP Platform. There were concerns about raising these issues and given my background in the police I have good knowledge on how to deal with these. I therefore introduced the safeguarding system.

Yo2yTYz.png

Safeguarding System - Today

The introduction of the safeguarding system has lead to 24 safeguarding reports and multiple instances of predators being removed from the community and escalations to other agencies. We do not post this information publicly for obvious reasons.

Tell me a bit about helpers
The helpers have meetings with us to discuss common questions and any concerns they have. Helpers have the ability to issue chat blacklist as we feel it is in the interest of the community to enforce toxic behaviour. They are not permitted to enforce any other rules and are given powers purely to help, especially new players. We have a system in place for dealing with misconduct and the following are from the last 6 months.
  • 5 instances of demotions
  • 7 instances of management advice
  • 2 instances of formal warning
  • 3 instances of final warning
  • 1 instance of accepted complaint but no action
So how are you talking to us in the community?
The community is far too large to do a community meeting now. We have tried surveys before but players still feel like they are not being listened to. I have as of very recently introduced the community Q&A which is hosted in-game to take a small amount of people at a time.

JWin3ti.jpg

Community Q&A - 17th February 2023

In addition to this we hold full staff meetings to get an idea of what the community want but from a smaller number of people so that it is easier to communicate. I fully encourage you to send me any suggestions via a direct PM or any method you want. I will listen to you.

nXIgeTs.png

Helper Meeting Points of Note - 7th February 2023

So are you gonna resign then or what?
I have zero intentions of leaving unless a very significant proportion of the community think I should. I love this community, I have been here for 10 years and will happily go for another 10 and believe we can stick together. This is my only community I have been in and would be a big piece of me gone if I had to leave. I am going to continue doing my best for the community but I need your feedback.

Please continue giving me feedback directly

I am genuinely really approachable. You can contact me anywhere of the following. Tell me I am good, tell me I am shit, just be constructive.
YJzGkky.png

Community Suggestions - Today
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

OT: CM are fine, if you got a problem bring it to them instead of causing a public shit storm.

Reaction score
Imagine crying over @Tyla Jai and @Efan everytime I’ve had questions, problems or anything I’ve spoken to them and gotten the help that I needed.

They’re like every high up in the PD, they do shit behind the scenes that we don’t see and some cry about it, I used to cry about Momo not doing shit but I was being very unfair.

Respect them for the amount of work they put in, respect them for the community still existing because they’re the key to that, they literally pulled PERP out of the mud with the help of others of course

Reaction score
A bit about me within the community
If you don't know me much then that is fine, the community has expanded significantly in the last year and not many people other than more veteran players know me. I joined PERPHeads in November 2013 meaning this year I will have been a member for 10 years. I launched the Police Department Whitelist along with a couple of others and have experience in both the criminal side of the server as-well as an extensive amount of knowledge in the police side. I have seen ups and downs in this community throughout this time and seen every iteration of the map from Evocity to V1 through to what will soon become V6. I have been here throughout multiple downs in the community where the population of the server was seriously down or where some very unpleasant people have had to be removed to safeguard everybody here. I have been a staff member twice before, the first time was around 2014 when I was a moderator, which I was eventually demoted from. I was then invited to be a moderator again a couple of years ago, which was during one of the biggest downs of the community in population. I made so many friends in this community and absolutely love every aspect of it and was not willing to let it simply die down which is why I did everything that I could to keep it going especially given it is an old platform and most people have moved onto games such as FiveM. I produced a couple of trailers for the server and was offered the role of Community Manager to help Ethan with getting the server off the ground again as follows;

The work @Efan and I did to get the server off the ground again
  • Launched Secret Santa
  • Revamped and Continuation of the Yearly Community Awards
  • Created a Discord Server to be up to date with other communities
  • Created the official server trailer
  • Introduced the community spotlight
  • Conducted regular progress reviews internally
  • Started running community surveys
  • Created more forum titles for trophy points
  • Launched an events team to get more people on the server
  • Improved administrative functions replacing action requests etc with a form system
  • Replaced all the police department badges
  • Improved the guides system with PERPHeads Help
  • Improved the support section to include best answers
  • Community CS:GO Tournament
  • Introduced the New Player Survey which is still going on today
  • Streamlined process for training and removing staff members
  • Spoke out to YouTubers to help advertise PERPHeads
  • Introduced Content Creator
  • Welcome message for all new players to increase immediate day one retention
  • Added new player tag to increase day one retention
  • Gave new players VIP and extended it to increase retention
  • Introduced linking SCAMBans to Discord to sync roles
  • Friend referral system, this was since discontinued
  • PERPHeads Rewind
  • PERPHeads YouTube Channel
  • Increased the server slots
  • Introduce a ban dispute rota to increase times for appeals
  • Structured the admin team so each admin has a role to play
Tell me about your activity and real life self

I'm a 23 year old man from the UK, I am employed as a Police Officer and have done this for the last 5 years. I volunteer my time for free as a Community Manager and do not receive any payment at all for it. I have previously received rewards from the owners but not anymore, yet continue to give my time up here. I often work up to 60 hrs a week and have a girlfriend and family but still manage to find time to keep my role on PLPD and interact with players in-game, interact with staff and do other regular commitments which I will detail below. Unfortunately my in-game activity isn't as much as some staff members due to the above commitments but is still in my view enough to understand what problems the community are facing and address them and continue to make improvements.

What are some of the changes you have done more recently?

As Exnem said, all dramatic changes we have done were at the start of our time here as Community Managers and we are most certainly taking a more maintenance approach to the community now. We do still make changes on occasion and some of these include the new Demo Request System which we suggested on 30th July 2021 and has recently finally gone live;
  • enforcing name standards for all staff
  • introduction of developer meetings with thanks to Dank for taking lead
  • recruitment of new developers
  • increasing server slots to 128
  • introduced a ban dispute rota to increase appeal response time
  • interview and selection of police department chiefs
  • working with developers to test and suggest updates
  • introduction of staff discord
  • introduction of helper meetings
  • introduction of in-game community Q&A
  • introduction of safeguarding system
  • huge staff recruitment drive meaning we now have over 45 staff members to keep up with the new player count and demand
So what regular responsibilities do you currently in the community?

So to give you an indication of some of the things we do on a regular basis, these include
  • regularly going on the server and identifying commendable roleplay and helpfulness
  • preparing the above findings into the monthly community spotlight
  • attending admin meetings up to four times a month deciding on enforcer applications, helper applications, promotions to moderator, senior moderator and administrator, rulings on serious bans or bans that have an impact on the community such as cheating or toxicity or safeguarding
  • regular review of community suggestions so that we can improve ourselves and the server
  • attending newly introduced helper meetings to identify regularly occurring questions and review powers and permissions of helpers
  • attending developer meetings to review the suggestions backlog
  • reporting to owners regularly and looking for trends in player count, looking to always keep it maintained or increasing
  • hosting scripted events in-game although player count is not currently allowing this to be as regular as we want
  • hosting in-game roleplay events, examples of this includes the christmas market, talent show or various competitions
  • answering enquiries from other communities
  • review of helper complaints daily
  • dealing with misconduct from community team
  • attending full staff meetings to take note of suggestions and problems
  • rule of the month
  • review of forum message enquiries (approx 2-3 a day)
  • review of steam/discord message enquiries (approx 5-6 a day)
  • review of slack message enquiries (approx 4-5 a day)
  • supporting the admin team with refund requests
  • supporting the admin team with reports
  • review necessity of ongoing communication bans
  • review of all 1.1 bans/blacklists/warnings and issuing communication bans off the back of them
  • issuing and review of community resolutions
  • and a lot more which I can't think of right now
For any day where I spend 1 hour in the server, I have probably committed about 5 hours out of the server doing background tasks.

Tell me about your admin powers
So to put it simply, we have the power to basically do anything regards to this so bans, warnings and blacklists. I will never do regular reports, why would I even want to? I have significant moderator experience but I have no interest in dealing with reports. I do and will use my powers though to remove people from the community that I feel are not safe for the rest of us for them to be here, or it is not in the communities interest for them to be here, this includes allegations of paedophilia, cheating and toxicity.

ZgzbZhl.png

Outstanding Reports - 17th February 2023

As you can see we do reach very high amounts of reports from players and sometimes I will jump in to assist with some but make a point of not taking on regular administrative tasks, as I am far too busy and this is not my role as we agreed when we introduced community manager.

What are you doing about safeguarding?
As some of you may be aware, we have had to 'Community Wide Ban' individuals for serious safeguarding concerns. A community wide ban includes a server ban, forums, discord, teamspeak and any other PERP Platform. There were concerns about raising these issues and given my background in the police I have good knowledge on how to deal with these. I therefore introduced the safeguarding system.

Yo2yTYz.png

Safeguarding System - Today

The introduction of the safeguarding system has lead to 24 safeguarding reports and multiple instances of predators being removed from the community and escalations to other agencies. We do not post this information publicly for obvious reasons.

Tell me a bit about helpers
The helpers have meetings with us to discuss common questions and any concerns they have. Helpers have the ability to issue chat blacklist as we feel it is in the interest of the community to enforce toxic behaviour. They are not permitted to enforce any other rules and are given powers purely to help, especially new players. We have a system in place for dealing with misconduct and the following are from the last 6 months.
  • 5 instances of demotions
  • 7 instances of management advice
  • 2 instances of formal warning
  • 3 instances of final warning
  • 1 instance of accepted complaint but no action
So how are you talking to us in the community?
The community is far too large to do a community meeting now. We have tried surveys before but players still feel like they are not being listened to. I have as of very recently introduced the community Q&A which is hosted in-game to take a small amount of people at a time.

JWin3ti.jpg

Community Q&A - 17th February 2023

In addition to this we hold full staff meetings to get an idea of what the community want but from a smaller number of people so that it is easier to communicate. I fully encourage you to send me any suggestions via a direct PM or any method you want. I will listen to you.

nXIgeTs.png

Helper Meeting Points of Note - 7th February 2023

So are you gonna resign then or what?
I have zero intentions of leaving unless a very significant proportion of the community think I should. I love this community, I have been here for 10 years and will happily go for another 10 and believe we can stick together. This is my only community I have been in and would be a big piece of me gone if I had to leave. I am going to continue doing my best for the community but I need your feedback.

Please continue giving me feedback directly

I am genuinely really approachable. You can contact me anywhere of the following. Tell me I am good, tell me I am shit, just be constructive.
YJzGkky.png

Community Suggestions - Today
@Simon Bendetti lets see those other CMs do this lul

also CS TOURNAMENT WHEN

Reaction score
I never want to do a CS Tournament again, I can’t explain how much stress that caused me with the amount of people dropping out and last minute changes in teams lmao
just get someone to do the stressful bits for u i like organizing things i would be a willing volunteer

Reaction score
I never want to do a CS Tournament again, I can’t explain how much stress that caused me with the amount of people dropping out and last minute changes in teams lmao
that was during the low-pop times of perp that the tournament occurred im assuming, i reckon you could get a good amount of people
Just need Conyo to do the twitch stream and we have everything we need
romeoosmTTV returns?!

Reaction score
I left the community around the time @Tyla Jai was unbanned and Efan was getting back in to a higher role. This frustrated me so much, mixed with some plpd shit that I literally left the server. From this point and up until last year, I despised perp and everything it was. But after returning and seeing the work that Tyla and Efan has done for the community, I can be nothing but grateful. Because despite the fact that I disliked Tyla and Efan, they had done amazing work for the community, and I was sincerely proved wrong that "peple don't change". The people who have joined in the last 2-3 years don't even realise how good you have it compared to what the server was back pre-2018. It was, and I cannot stress this enough, awful.
I was then given a chance as helper, then as Enforcer and now Moderator. I have never ONCE felt that I was left on my own and both CMs do massive amount of work Behind the Scenes - which most of community management is. Not everything is, or should be, public information. They handle a lot of staff related incidents. Whenever I have an issue with anyone or anything on the server, I know that Tyla and Efan are there to listen and take the appropriate action. I have 100% trust in both of them, and my view has changed drastically on them. They do amazing work, and I would definitely NOT TRUST the community to "vote" for a new CM, nor do I think we need a new pair of CMs. Their activity has been lacking due to very valid reasons, and we are after all humans. Our lives comes first. That goes for all staff. Saying that inactivity should lead to resignation/demotion is very unfair.

Also saying "I've heard from several people that ..." is really just like someone throwing a tantrum. From this post I've seen 3, maybe 4 people agree with it, and many more disagree. So with all due respect, I don't see all these "several people" turning up here? So I guess it's not that important to them.

Reaction score
H5oxRGa.jpeg

I am hosting an additional Q&A Session at Harlem's Casino NOW until 1PM for those who missed the last one in light of this thread

Join the server now!

Edd

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention safeguarding refferals, feels like it isn't being propperly dealt with.
Could you explain more on that? What isn’t being properly dealt with, the investigations into reports, punishments, support for the victim or referrals? (Don’t include any details of reports)

I’m fairly new to the server, I haven’t played GMod in a long time, since around 2018. I remember that the server I did play on didn’t have a safeguarding referral policy, so I would actually like to praise the Community Managers on implementing this, as it protects those most vulnerable.

Also remember, that if you don’t feel like it is being dealt with properly, you can go to external organisations such as the Police (non-emergency and emergency), NSPCC, or any safeguarding team in your area.

I do believe however, there should be a safeguarding policy in place if there isn’t one already. This should cover the steps that should be taken upon a referral, support, what to do upon a referral and so on.

Reaction score
Could you explain more on that? What isn’t being properly dealt with, the investigations into reports, punishments, support for the victim or referrals? (Don’t include any details of reports)

I’m fairly new to the server, I haven’t played GMod in a long time, since around 2018. I remember that the server I did play on didn’t have a safeguarding referral policy, so I would actually like to praise the Community Managers on implementing this, as it protects those most vulnerable.

Also remember, that if you don’t feel like it is being dealt with properly, you can go to external organisations such as the Police (non-emergency and emergency), NSPCC, or any safeguarding team in your area.

I do believe however, there should be a safeguarding policy in place if there isn’t one already. This should cover the steps that should be taken upon a referral, support, what to do upon a referral and so on.
You can create a safeguard referral here https://perpheads.com/form/safeguarding-referral.8/select

Also a bit of information on that page so you know what it is used for.