Looking for a first car need help

Reaction score
I am currently doing my lessons and have a test booked soon and am looking at getting my own car. Currently driving a Nissan but want to look at different options for help. If you have any recommendations or past cars that are good please let me know

Reaction score
Anything Japanese will be reliable. Any VAG will be decent too.

Toyota Yaris
Honda Civic
Mazda 2/3
Seat Ibiza
VW Polo
Skoda Fabia

All good starting places but I’d start from the top down. Honda Civic only ranked second because boy racers love wrapping them around trees so expensive insurance.

Don’t touch Nissan, they’re not Japanese.

Reaction score
Avoid getting anything with a large engine, 1l is perfect and won't cost an arm and leg for insurance. It will be expensive regardless as you are a new driver, build up your no-claims for a few years then change to something nicer. Pre 2017 1l's are very cheap on road tax aswell.

Reaction score
I think if you can afford a post-2012 car then to be honest you can't go wrong with most options out there. Not sure about which country your from but if you're from the UK:

- If you live near a metropolitan area, especially London, pay attention to ULEZ and its reqs. Its likely other cities like Manchester/Birmingham might mirror ULEZ in the future and quite a lot of cars, especially inexpensive diesels (my friend has a Seat Leon 1.6) that might just miss the reqs by only a little bit.
- As @Efan has said a lot of hatchbacks in that era actually share a base/chassis so it more comes down to affordability, style, and features/creature comforts that you'd like.
- If you're likely to be a designated driver for any friends that are bus wankers then maybe consider a 4/5-door as opposed to the more stylish 2/3-doors, will just make your life a hell of a lot easier and practical.
- Even if you're learning in manual and pass in a manual, if you don't plan on doing a lot of motorway driving or there's a lot of small roads/stop & start/traffic in your area then perhaps consider spending the extra for an an automatic for QoL.
- If you do get an automatic do not buy a Corsa as the gearboxes are dog.

Apart from the ones mentioned above by others I would also recommend taking a look at the KIA RIO - pretty good value if you're willing to have a fruity-looking interior.