Lowering speeds going past police scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law: New law

What law do you wish to change/add:
- When approaching a crime scene or police investigation scene, drivers are expected to reduce their speed by 10-20MPH.

Why should this change/addition be made:
It will reduce the amount of incidents where cars are driving fast past a crime scene and an officer slightly steps onto the other side of the road (or the driver accidentally turns too far towards the scene) that results in the officer being hit by the car risking the life of the officer and driver.

What is the aim of this change/addition:
To reduce the amount of deaths caused by going at highway speeds past crime scenes making these police stops safer

Additional Information:
The reduction of speed could vary due to location/speed limit of that area or it could be a set reduction to (X)MPH.

Reaction score
Shouldn't it be better instead of lowering your speed by 10-20mph lower your speed to a certain amount? Like if you are on the highway some people drive 130 and by lowering the speed by 20 they still would go pretty fast and dangerous.

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest this law will be hard to keep enforced if your dealing with one incident keeping a lane closed and taking statements if a car crashes into the scene you won't have time to stop what your doing just to arrest the person.
Personally myself I've used advert to inform the people that there is a accident and I have not had many problems. I think it's just the matter of police officers do not know how to safely close one lane road.

JER

Reaction score
who follows speedlimits? either way officers arent equipped with a speed tracker and it will be a case of people arguing that officers dont have enough evidence seeing as they have to make a rough estimate of the speed

M

Reaction score
If a person is driving safely, with due care and attention, they will observe the hazard and slow down when passing it or turning around.

Status
Not open for further replies.