Server Suggestion Make police cars spikeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Make police cars spikeable
Suggestion Description: Allow police cars to be spiked like any other car, if they cross the road spikes.

Why should this be added?:
- Increases skill and coordination ceiling and threshold for police by requiring officers to coordinate properly in chases.
- With this effect, it also allows some counter-play by civilians when escaping, rather than it being very one-sided on chases with competent police.
- Allows for a new gameplay mechanic in chases which equalizes the field, albeit good players on Police will still have the upper hand, as intended.
- Allows for perimeters that utilize 3 heavy barriers and spikes to take longer to lift for other units to pass, and subsequently also place, providing some room for those Criminals who are smart, to take advantage of and attack.

What negatives could this have?:
- Officers who don't officer very well ruining many police cars when spiking without communicating well.
- Perimeters will require new setup that isn't car - barrier/barrier/barrier/ and spikes.

Reaction score
the question i have for you is
does this allow for tyres to be shot out as well by criminals??

Reaction score
requiring officers to coordinate properly
optimistic x1

In all seriousness, it is already difficult for officers to stop supercars, having to worry about spikes and having yet another method of reinforcing a perimeter removed doesn't solve much and only serves to nerf the PD.

Criminals have plenty of ways to be smart, making it take slightly longer to remove a perimeter wouldn't really topple the scales.

I understand that it is unrealistic, but road spikes don't seem overpowered as of now (apart from perhaps their collisions which are inconsistent) and considering how often scenes get flanked with not enough officers, road spikes are a useful asset as they are now.

Reaction score
It would however be hilarious. My local force at least has had a few occasions where they’ve not moved the spikes in time and stung their own vehicles. Aside from the added realism I think it would be very funny to see and add a major advantage to people in shit cars due to the fact officers won’t be able to just ram them into spikes or keep driving after them without moving the spikes

It would be funny the first few times and then I have a feeling that it would get old pretty fast. You do make a point that it will help people in shit cars, but you also must remember that it gives an even larger advantage to those in faster cars.

Reaction score
Would be interesting.
What would be cool though is if road spikes broke after spiking a vehicle so you'd have to get new ones from the PD. You would also avoid accidentally spiking the other 4 pursuing officers following the suspect.

Reaction score
Would be interesting.
What would be cool though is if road spikes broke after spiking a vehicle so you'd have to get new ones from the PD. You would also avoid accidentally spiking the other 4 pursuing officers following the suspect.
Beg you do this, would actually work well and make PLPD need to communicate. It would also need to be something in place to stop police stacking road spikes ontop of eachother tho

Reaction score
optimistic x1

In all seriousness, it is already difficult for officers to stop supercars, having to worry about spikes and having yet another method of reinforcing a perimeter removed doesn't solve much and only serves to nerf the PD.

Criminals have plenty of ways to be smart, making it take slightly longer to remove a perimeter wouldn't really topple the scales.

Considering how often scenes get flanked with not enough officers

I stop pretty much 85% of vehicles we pursue (@Tyla Jai). The only way supercars can ever consistently get away is if you're playing when there's 3 police players online. Otherwise, with a moderate force once the car and direction is called out on radio, you just need someone to sit on one route with spikes, and have an intersection officer to monitor intersection, which already connects 2 other escape routes used to hide or escape, not even mentioning other officers who will assist.
If you happen to get juked as Officers by a car doing a uturn when there's none of you staying behind to hold it if he turns, then it's really your problem.
If they go on wrong side of highway, continue on the right one to see if he turns into any sidelane (such as suburbs), then proceed to call it out and move that way.

Mongoloid 4 big barricade ooga booga perimeters that are impassable by even a roadcrew truck at full speed should not be backed up consistently by spikes and especially not instantly. It is not a nerf to the already overpowered barricades, but helps prevent instant deployment of the full kit.
Also, if it doesn't topple the scale, then how is it a nerf like you mentioned? Certainly it should have no effect if Police still has a big advantage.

Now for your last point is where the argument "wouldn't matter" should be used. If there's 4 officers and 4 flankers, you are most likely getting wiped one way or another, spikes won't contribute.

Reaction score
I love this idea especially combined with the fact that they can break when successfully used, might be worth a trial run to see how it goes?

Reaction score
Mongoloid 4 big barricade ooga booga perimeters that are impassable by even a roadcrew truck at full speed should not be backed up consistently by spikes and especially not instantly. It is not a nerf to the already overpowered barricades, but helps prevent instant deployment of the full kit.

Nobody's saying that it's nerfing barricades. Spikes currently allow a dynamic perimeter so that units can come and go over the spikes without the threat of a citizen in a car entering the scene. Deployment is hardly instant at the moment.

Also, if it doesn't topple the scale, then how is it a nerf like you mentioned? Certainly it should have no effect if Police still has a big advantage.

I was referring specifically to road spikes being nerfed as a perimeter line of defence, where slowing down officers by 1 or 2 seconds would not make much of a difference for criminals waiting to flank.

Would be interesting.

I like this - perhaps just have it so that once you spike a vehicle, the road spikes are automatically 'flung' back into their retracted state by the force of the car running over them, forcing the unit to pick them up. Maybe have a % chance of them breaking and requiring re-equipment?

Reaction score
I love this idea especially combined with the fact that they can break when successfully used, might be worth a trial run to see how it goes?

If it's easy to do then I see no problem with a trail

Reaction score
Obligatory me posting this again, not sure where I mentioned this before.

Police cars tyres come equipped with run flat tyres. In the event of a puncture, these tyres let out air more slowly and allow the vehicle to still drive, although more slowly than before with a solid wheel attached to the rim in the event of a complete failure. We could implement it like this where it could puncture the tyres and after 20 seconds or so it would cripple the speed down to 20MPH while still being able to steer the vehicle
(There will be officers that will try to drive back to the PD from the middle of no where with popped tyres while being a hindrance to other drivers with an unsteerable vehicle, mark my words. I think it would be better to implement it like this.)

Criminals should also be able to shoot out Police vehicles tyres just like Police can on civilian vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.