New Mic

Reaction score
So, I am looking for a new mic because I want to buy a new pair of headphones that do not have a mic.

I am looking for something elegant for example a webcam with a decent microphone. So I am not looking for a big unit you need to place on your desk. Preferably it is just a small mic you can place just like a webcam, but I do not know if there is something like that on the market.

Criteria
  • Must be small
  • Must have a decent to good audio quality
  • Around 60$

I hope you guys have some suggestions. For example a webcam with an outstanding mic (don't care about video quality).

Reaction score
I currently use the Blue Snowball Ice. Superb audio quality (sometimes more than what I want tbh), extremely sound sensitive and quite reliable. It's about as big as your hand sans the stand, it fits between my monitors snugly and is kinda just there, it's not as compact as headset mics but it's solid for the space it takes.

It's primary purpose is "Plug & Play". When you first set it up you will want to check your mic's settings in the sound control panel under the recording tab. If it's format isn't set to the maximum setting you'll find your audio will be of worse quality than what it's capable of. I accidentally had it set to 8000 HZ and was playing perp, literally nobody could understand what I was saying and half of the people thought they were experiencing an alien trying to communicate. Worse was that I played like this for over an hour before realizing that I've been investigating shootouts while sounding like an absolute idiot.

Random amazon link for reference. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B006DIA77E
Again, it's slightly bigger than my palm if you don't include the stand.

Reaction score
I've used many microphones and it wasn't until a few years ago I found the Rode Podcaster which has outstanding quality, the only issue is it does require an arm mount. But its really small, and I don't find it gets in the way much. If you don't mind spending £100 more then this mic might be perfect for you.

Reaction score
I currently use the Blue Snowball Ice. Superb audio quality (sometimes more than what I want tbh), extremely sound sensitive and quite reliable. It's about as big as your hand sans the stand, it fits between my monitors snugly and is kinda just there, it's not as compact as headset mics but it's solid for the space it takes.

It's primary purpose is "Plug & Play". When you first set it up you will want to check your mic's settings in the sound control panel under the recording tab. If it's format isn't set to the maximum setting you'll find your audio will be of worse quality than what it's capable of. I accidentally had it set to 8000 HZ and was playing perp, literally nobody could understand what I was saying and half of the people thought they were experiencing an alien trying to communicate. Worse was that I played like this for over an hour before realizing that I've been investigating shootouts while sounding like an absolute idiot.

Random amazon link for reference. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B006DIA77E
Again, it's slightly bigger than my palm if you don't include the stand.
every person i hear with one of those snowballs sounds like they live in a jam jar

Reaction score
i use a rode video micro which is designed for mounting on a hotshoe but i just use it along with a really long phone holder and it sounds fab for £45

Reaction score
i use a rode video micro which is designed for mounting on a hotshoe but i just use it along with a really long phone holder and it sounds fab for £45
yoYiYmc.jpg

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with a blue yeti/snowball

I personally use a razer seiren X with a microphone stand that I got from another microphone, but that’s fairly expensive and does the job just as well as anything else.
My experience with the blue yeti is it picks up every little noise, it might go better with a boom arm though