Paintball: Why or why not?

Reaction score
Hi, I've previously posted about Paintball.

The ones, still playing, we know it's not a popular sport.

So what's the reason for people not wanting to play or why you do.

I work at 2 fields/clubs and I'm genuinely interested in feedback, why it's so hard to find new team-mates.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Costly! Not fun by yourself so have to organise something with a group of mates, but to me feels more of a stag do or birthday rather than a hobbie

Reaction score
  • Staff
Costly! Not fun by yourself so have to organise something with a group of mates, but to me feels more of a stag do or birthday rather than a hobbie
Yeah, cost is a bitch... The gear is fairly durable, but still costs a lot to get started. And paint is painfully expensive.

Luckily, we have a reball field (Rubber balls, indoor), where we can save some money on paint to practice.

If it was for the cost being lower, would you consider it as a hobby or is it just an occasional experience?

Reaction score
Yeah, cost is a bitch... The gear is fairly durable, but still costs a lot to get started. And paint is painfully expensive.

Luckily, we have a reball field (Rubber balls, indoor), where we can save some money on paint to practice.

If it was for the cost being lower, would you consider it as a hobby or is it just an occasional experience?
I'd deffiently do it more if for 1 it's in my area and yes cheaper as you mentioned it's good fun, I've tried airsoft by won't get into that due to the eye watering cost of gear

Reaction score
I’m banned from the paintball place around me, not my fault tho.
Got given a gun safety thing was on, instructor pointed it towards his face and shot it by “accident” turns out the safety was broke on it and it was saying it was on but wasn’t. I got banned cause the instructor shot himself in the face

Reaction score
  • Staff
I’m banned from the paintball place around me, not my fault tho.
Got given a gun safety thing was on, instructor pointed it towards his face and shot it by “accident” turns out the safety was broke on it and it was saying it was on but wasn’t. I got banned cause the instructor shot himself in the face
If you shot me in the face, I wouldn't even be mad at you as much as myself because:
  • I shouldn't give you a marker (gun) to a person who doesn't understand safety yet
  • I shouldn't remove the safety sock/condom on the front off the marker
  • I should have checked the marker to have functioning safety.
On tournaments, it's even more important to have the sock/condom on the gun, when exiting the field as it will result in a penalty or disqualification if you don't. The electronic guns also don't have any safety except turning it off. And newer models even get degassed when turning the air supply off.

Also because the triggers are electronic and can fire very easily and accidentally.

Reaction score
  • Staff
I'd deffiently do it more if for 1 it's in my area and yes cheaper as you mentioned it's good fun, I've tried airsoft by won't get into that due to the eye watering cost of gear
Both sports have eye watering upfront costs. Airsoft is cheaper to maintain and to play though.

Reaction score
Ive spent stupid money on all my paintball kit and now just dont have the time to go to fields

Reaction score
Both sports have eye watering upfront costs. Airsoft is cheaper to maintain and to play though.
The best way of Maintaining most airsoft guns is to buy a new one when it breaks because 70% of them are shitboxes mass produced to the same damage resistance as a late 2000s happy meal toy (Kinda sturdy but not what you want from a gun you’re running around shooting people with). Another thing that put me off of airsoft was spare parts were seemingly very scarce and you’d often be seeking out parts sent direct from factory from Asia, and the few that aren’t sourced from there are often sold out.

Airsoft nerds in my school and college killed all ounce of enthusiasm I had for getting into airsoft before I even tried it, but Maybe I just had a bad experience with airsoft dudes I know irl though because people here are chill about it.

In terms of paintball costs, The ammo is pricey but you could probably get like 2 years use of a Tippman FT12 at the very least before wanting to upgrade, but that would be because you want More performance and less weight, since those things are built like a cast iron skillet and would probably emerge intact from a nuclear attack.

Havent really played but one good is people can see when they are hit no ignoring shots like airsoft.
Immediately yes, But generally if you weren’t spotted as hit you can just rub your hand across the splat for a few seconds and all traces of paint are entirely gone.

Reaction score

I work at 2 fields/clubs and I'm genuinely interested in feedback, why it's so hard to find new team-mates.

Thanks.
I just dont think it's for everyone. It's not always accessible in terms of location, and it seems to be quite pricey if you want to do it as a hobby, imagine it be a nightmare trying to convince your own friends to start it as a hobby too.

Had the opportunity to do it once, great fun but boy did I come back with some nasty bruises lol.

Reaction score
Paintball is great but I think airsoft is just as good or even better, because you can get actual close looking replicas of guns to do stupid shit like this
I went paintballing about 2 times and the first time sucked because it was my work colleague who organized it and got a bunch of randoms and their randoms. Me and some parent were the only one's that weren't a bad sport, everyone else was NEVER calling hit so I believe finding a good group is also hard.

2nd time I went with my friends which of course was more fun. We even got bigger caliber paintballs but it was in the middle of piss pitch darkness winter and I managed to step into some nasty smelling puddle of water but hey, it was fun. We got one of the instructors on the field switching teams as they were a friend, it was fun when I got to mag dump my ammo into him as he was stuck in a small shed unable to move out. Love camping.

Another factor is price and location for us. We all split the bill and shared ammunition packages. Crotch protection isn't even included for the men so you have to dish out more lol. Smoke grenades were also a waste of money.

Reaction score

Thanks.
Probably because of the communities around them for most.

Reaction score
Honestly go airsoft

1. In the long run it’s cheaper . You can get 5k bbs for like £10
2. Gear looks more realistic (if that’s your sorta thing)
3. Hurts more but won’t leave toh with a fuck off bruise

Reaction score
Honestly go airsoft

1. In the long run it’s cheaper . You can get 5k bbs for like £10
2. Gear looks more realistic (if that’s your sorta thing)
3. Hurts more but won’t leave toh with a fuck off bruise
Gotta give a +1 on this one.
Airsoft is cheaper, and I reckon it hurts less than paintball, as the energy from a bb is way less than a paintball and you don't have the same kind of mess as paintball. Only thing you gotta mind is you will have more cheaters, though that really depends on the site you go to. My local site has great marshals and management, and a good community in general (if you don't count the sizeable amount of virgins who dress up as literal SS every game day)

Reaction score
The best way of Maintaining most airsoft guns is to buy a new one when it breaks because 70% of them are shitboxes mass produced to the same damage resistance as a late 2000s happy meal toy (Kinda sturdy but not what you want from a gun you’re running around shooting people with). Another thing that put me off of airsoft was spare parts were seemingly very scarce and you’d often be seeking out parts sent direct from factory from Asia, and the few that aren’t sourced from there are often sold out.
That's the reason, I kind of preferred Paintball from the start. You have essentially 2 major marker brands: Dye and Planet Eclipse. You can get your hands on a used one from them from 100€ - 1200€. You can even get the flagship ones for 500-600€ with some luck.

And most people play with these 2 brands. Some people prefer some other brands, but these ones are kind of well known.

In terms of paintball costs, The ammo is pricey but you could probably get like 2 years use of a Tippman FT12 at the very least before wanting to upgrade, but that would be because you want More performance and less weight, since those things are built like a cast iron skillet and would probably emerge intact from a nuclear attack.
Tippmans, whilst very reliable are usually not even owned as markers people have at home. They are really more for rental use, because they're just simply reliable and barely require any servicing. And they are sturdy and don't break easily. The first markers I see people getting are usually the Planet Eclipse EMEK or a electronic one in the 200€ used budget.

The ammo is really pricey though. If more people played, the cost would drop immediately...

Immediately yes, But generally if you weren’t spotted as hit you can just rub your hand across the splat for a few seconds and all traces of paint are entirely gone.
It really depends on the paint that is used. Fields generally use a 1-2 star paint. Reason being, that the Tippmanns are just too rough with your regular paint. This is why the paint quite often doesn't splatter as it should. That's why most fields play with the "When you're hit you're out" rule.

The paint we use for tournaments is 4-5 star. It should break when dropping it on a solid surface from the height of your torso without any force applied to it.

Additionally. The paint varies... But tournament paint is made with oil-based edible colours. Not as good for the environment, but it means you can't wipe it off easily and usually requires a towel. Besides in tournaments you also have refs, who will run to you before you can wipe it off.