[PLPD TRAINING] Suppressing a Disturbance

Status
Not open for further replies.

M

Reaction score
PLPD Training Syllabus
UNIT:
Suppression of Disturbance
AIMS: This unit covers the containment of riots/disturbances, typically where it is critical that peace is upheld and where it is not possible to contain by regular detainment.
METHOD: Control line - suitable in circumstances where a line can push back those causing the disturbance.

Planning the movement

The move should be planned in an on-site, but contained area; preferably one with an easy route to where the control line will be placed. Officers involved in the control line will be briefed coherently in this area, which involves the assignment of a unique number and acknowledgement of further techniques that may be employed.

This strategy is useful if an area needs to be contained to ensure proper and appropriate action within a critical situation, or to restore order.

Further Techniques:
· If SWAT are available, they may be tasked with remaining behind the line and deploying flash-bangs to disperse an aggressive or uncooperative crowd.

· The line could be used as a distraction for officers on the offending side to recognize and detain those who commit crimes.

· Any other sensible order provisioned by the commanding officer.

Brief:
The brief will involve assignment of a unique number, typically starting from 1 and incrementing by 1 each time. The commanding officer will then order the lowest number (i.e. 1) to position himself at a given position, and the rest to line up consecutively facing a certain direction. The direction faced forms the order of the line, not behind each other but shoulder to shoulder. A goal is considered, and the agreed goal is where the line will remain and prevent further entry upon completion of it.

Execution:

The line is to advance with each other, meaning that if one part of the line is held up, the rest must remain at that point until the threat has been pushed back or rendered unconscious (at which point, they will move forward past it to retain order for the safety of the downed civilian). Moving up with batons out is the typical strategy, hitting anyone who fails to comply; the commanding officer may employ a different technique that would be discussed in the briefing stage.

As the line reaches its goal, it should keep the area which is to be controlled clear until no longer deemed necessary, and then carry out another stage as defined within the brief (examples include aiding in the installation of a more permanent barricade – attended by some of the officers when stood down but not all, the detainment of suspects that were in the area, etc.).

At the ‘goal’ stage, it is likely that a crowd that has been pushed back is still present. To disperse, if available, SWAT should use a flash grenade.

Caveats
It is possible if not likely that a physically violent police response will be met with spiteful aggression. In the event that officers in the line are becoming seriously injured, it should be considered that the commanding officer have a command which is not recognized in plain English (a vague example being ‘cola’) that signifies the need for lethal deployment. At this stage, every officer at an odd number in the sequence of the line will deploy their firearms, for example, and make appropriate and legally justified actions.

Inevitably, the line may have to be completely fallen back (for example, if shots are fired at them). At this point, non-human restraints should be exercised (i.e. locking doors, police barricades), and the prolonged use of flash-bangs considered to disorient the crowd.

Advisory
It is important for the commanding officer to consider that anything could happen in this situation, and if the time is available plan for further extremities such as fires/explosions in the line or direct vicinity of it.

Training
A way of training this has been trialed successfully and will soon be documented in the staff-only section of the PLPD forum.

inspiration @Chrissy

Reaction score
I hope to attend training soon! I can always trust in the abilities of the supervisors, and this looks like it will be a very effective tactic!

Reaction score
I was one of the people who attended to this. Must say, It was quite a great training. Hope more people are attending to this later on as there is only a few using this method.

Reaction score
I like this training, please tell me the time i want to be in it.

Deleted member 5920

In reality:

*Radio by SWAT*: One of them has a bat.
*Response by LT*: Kill them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.