Police Suggestion Record promotion meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brief description of idea: It's very simple, just record promotion meetings when they occur during Wednesdays. While observation reports are useful, they lack in how an officer can improve. For example, you'll most likely get an OR structured like this. Under the "what the officer did really well" section, you'll probably get something like "driving, communication, law knowledge", and in the "what the officer should improve", you'll get something along the lines of "nothing that I saw". If we record these meetings, officers could get valuable information on the opinions of command team members. For example, an officer who is really good could hear the debate between the parties involved and why it was decided they weren't promoted, same goes for officers who aren't as good. This is also good PR for the department, it will help show total transparency in the process on how officers are picked and promoted, especially to supervisory roles.

What benefits would this idea have for the department:
  • Would assist officers in how they could improve in addition to observation reports
  • Would ensure that every meeting is going as it should
  • Would improve the transparency in the department
  • Would show how supervisors and command team members are picked, which could help people who aspire to attain one of those roles

What potential negatives could this have for the department:
  • Could reveal information from officers' personal records that shouldn't be shared, but could be redacted from the recording if released publicly
  • Could be a hassle and lead to not happening after 1-2 meetings, but this is extremely important in my eyes and shouldn't be forgotten.

Other additions:

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
No, we record where officers can improve during promotion meetings, you can then make a help desk ticket to find out where you can improve. Promotion meetings are never going to be shown publicly as we obviously talk about infractions and it's all sensitive information. Usually a chief or @Tom is present, either way we go through the same process every meeting once a week. This makes no difference. Are you suggesting we post meetings publicly? that will never happen. Do you really think we want command members to be harassed for not promoting someone. This wont happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Then I suggest ,making this option more public. I also said that sensitive information can be redacted from the recording. Obviously this shouldn't change anything regarding the meetings, but officers who are even marginally interested in improving will take advice if offered the chance.

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
You dont deserve to know why other people arent promoted. Only yourself. Thats why you can make help desk tickets. This will never be public.

Deleted member 5577

This is actually a horrible idea, just because you’re not getting promoted doesn’t mean you should get to see everyone else’s information. Probably the wrong place for this suggestion as well.

Reaction score
Bad idea, you already can send helpdesk tickets to know why your promotion got denied. We don’t want that everyone can see your infractions. According to me it’s good how it is right now. Just send the ticket and they’ll answer it.

Deleted member 5193

We discuss promotions thoroughly in our weekly General Operations meeting, that’s why our meetings usually take quite a long time. We also have quite a few procedures in place to ensure that no one is missed out in discussion without reason. For a promotion to go ahead, we must have a majority vote and both @McGlinchy and @Daigestive should agree on the outcome of this. I have the right to overrule this at any point if I see fit, but there is no real need to do so 99% of the time. In the event one of the captains cannot attend the meeting, I will then take their part in the meeting.

In our discussions, we will usually speak about the following when speaking about someone who is possibly ready for promotion:

• Are they eligible
  • Review their punishment history
  • Look at their activity
  • Look at their observation reports
  • (If Corporal) how many observation reports they have given
  • Do they meet the required skills and abilities to move up to the next rank

if the answer to all of the above seems to be yes, we will promote them. If the answer is not yes, we will deny them. Our meetings aren’t quite as advance as people think.

Let’s get to the point of the suggestion though, recording meetings. I have a few questions I’d like to ask you and it would be good if you could reply with some detailed answers explaining your thoughts.

1. If these were to be public, why would it make sense for everyone to be able to hear everyone else’s reasoning for being denied? Example A might just be a very nosey person, and use it to find out the reasoning for Example B’s recently sustained IA complaint. This breaks confidentiality, and realistically would not be used for the purpose you may intend it for in your head. Don’t you agree that it isn’t going to work in the way you’d expect?

2. What is wrong with those who are not being promoted contacting their primary command team and discussing the reason why? No one is denied without reason, and if the primary command team is unable to provide a valid response to your information request then you are welcome to ask that they escalate it to me.

3. Do you not feel that my command members are likely to feel a little insecure talking about people when they would know that the recording is going to be public? Whilst the opinions are given to you on request, I’m sure each command member would rather avoid the whole “Oh did you know that he hates him” nonsense that goes around in this community.

I welcome your response with valid suggestions as to why this is a good idea, but as far as I can tell this proposal has far too many flaws, some of which dangerous for the department as a whole.

@curak @LilChicken and @Daigestive have all brought up good points which you should think on before replying to this.

Reaction score
As you stated in the cons and Tom touched upon it, making the promotion meetings public would basically reveal every officer's weaknesses within the PLPD which they personally don't want to be shared. Like if I had an IA that is for something serious or have received a recent infraction I wouldn't really want the whole PD knowing about it otherwise it would just be un-necessarily brung up in-game to take the piss.

Reaction score
Closed

We have taken this suggestion into consideration and we are in fact already looking at ways to improve the delivery of reasons for denial and therefore feedback. The promotion system as it currently stands is due to be changed in the near future to improve and incorporate the basis of your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.