Remove DNA Scanners from cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Topic: Removing the DNA Scanners from cops

Short explanation (in notes):
- From what I know, cops dont have surgery and DNA education when joining the force.
- This job should be left only for the medics to do, as they are trained at doing this, unlike LTs and sergeants which are apparently inspector gadget.
-

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
Its so annoying and frustrating when an LT finds out you shot a man by DNA scanning, I actually dont have a single clue why this ever got added to the PD's hands, as it isnt even their profession.

Optional additions:
- Remove it or change it to a better more balanced system, other than it just telling you who what where how. As if actually make it a challenge for the cops to figure out the crime scene.
- Make it telling what gun was used to what cartridges were used, as that is what it is supposed to show to begin with, so guns can be mixed up sometimes.
- Show only a picture of the person instead of his name, or otherwise, just so it requires an interrogation to arrest a man, not like what just happend to me @Frank , which I dont blame anything on him, it just happend way too quickly, there was simply no interrogation, just straight to the point you are arrested for murdering an officer.

Reaction score
To some extent I see why you're annoyed and to be honest I do agree with some of your points.

Firstly, yes DNA scanning isn't really within the police's profession and I do feel it should be left with the medics however I beleive the entire system was given to the LTs and sergeants because the medics die too easily and it's not supposed to be easy to get away with murder

What id suggest is maybe instead of a straight up dna scanner which reveals eveything about the murderer I'd suggest maybe the tool should take a sample off the body which then has to be transported back to the hospital to a machine which will then trace the dna while you wait and after idk 5-10 minutes it comes up with a picture of the murderer. Also only one sample can be scanned at a time and when the scanner is ready it will have the text appear above similar to meth saying "available for use" and scan competed or something like that

I'm not entirely sure if this is even possible but it's an idea

// on phone so any mistakes blame auto correct :booty:

Ayjay

Reaction score
I looked at this post and I agreed with every single point you made, however you missed some things.

It's a fact that being a medic, road crew, firefighter is not as popular as being a cop. On a full server, sure; medics are there.. sometimes. The thing is, what do we do when there isn't a medic available - It'll completley lower the chances of ever catching anybody and overall just deteriorate roleplay. Not all cops have it remember, just whitelisted people.

"Make it show just the face" - This really would not work, you might aswell completley remove the tool if you did this, it requires no investigation at all as it's virtually impossible to question every single player model with that skin and coloured clothing - It would not work.

The thing is, you need to realise that this is PERP and of course we don't have the ability to make every single person look different, and have better ways to control DNA and stuff like that - We're really limited to development, as Garry's Mod just does not allow such things. I get you, I honestly do but it'd be so un-ethical to remove this function from cops and just allow medical staff to be relied on for this.

Pretty much all of us have been arrested at some point, and in a realistic situation you could argue that everyone has been logged down for traffic tickets and if they've been arrested for fingerprints and stuff like that; it's what we have and to be honest it works fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I remember when Alex made a thread about this: https://perpheads.com/threads/remove-nerf-dna-scanner.10655/

Imo, Chris nailed the reason why it should stay.

The DNA scanner I believe is representative of an investigation into a crime, since obviously in GMOD the only other mechanics that allow you to investigate are the accounts of other players, their pictures, CCTV, circumstances and interrogation. As much as this can be done to an extent, you are limited by the fact that there's very little else in the form of evidence, and on a gamemode where the police are constantly being called it would be near impossible to keep up on investigations.

Going back to what I said initially, about the scanning process being representative, I do agree that it should work off a more complex algorithm. For example, a DNA sample could be extracted and then considered to be pending. Depending on various circumstances surrounding the kill, the process of investigation could take a while (therefore somehow rewarding people who take the time to, for example, covertly kill someone with few bystanders/NPCs around) and the results eventually reach the police supervisor with a result.

All this is, is an extension of the time that it would take; retaining the functionality of the scanner but being more reasonably representative.

Reaction score
In my opinion you're rigth, thats not for the LT's hands, but i also agree with AyJay, so, i think you should just make a error percentage for the DNA gun..

Reaction score
denied.jpg

https://perpheads.com/threads/remove-nerf-dna-scanner.10655/

Status
Not open for further replies.