Remove/Nerf DNA Scanner

Reaction score
Topic: DNA Scanner

Short explanation (in notes):
- Remove/Nerf the DNA Scanner
-
-

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
It should be removed/Nerfed as its extremely unrealistic, a cop can simply scan a body and it gives you a name and picture of the player, in real life this would take a reasonable amount of time from things like hair (Hours) ect, fingerprint is faster but that means the player would already have a criminal record for his fingerprint and picture to be recorded in the police database which is completely unreasonable as the player may not have been arrested before.

How exactly is the DNA being taken, If I shoot someone with a sniper rifle how does the DNA scanner know it was me?

Possible solutions/Nerfs
-The DNA scanner should not assume that the player has a criminal record, if a player has been arrested before on his character the police computer (The server) should record this and allow the DNA scanner to give a record of the player but if the player has not been arrested before it should not give any information about the character

-The DNA scanner should take 5 or more minutes to provide a result

-Complete removal (The best option)

Reaction score
Cops shouldn't have an instant picture of you, also medics shouldn't be able to instantly scan a body. +support i think it should be completely removed

Reaction score
Maybe, to make it less op, it can give you physical descriptions with no name or picture? As for clothes description, body color, etc...

Reaction score
+Support
One cannot realistically scan a recently deceased body on a public sidewalk, and then obtain the exact and full criminal record of the killer, along with the exact weapon used.

Here's a compromise, increase the time taken to get a result, only list the type of bullet used instead of the actual weapon, make it so that you can only scan them successfully in the hospital or PD.

Reaction score
The problem is that if we completely remove the DNA scanner, then our only way of knowing who shot who would be gone. There would also have to be another way to remove bodies; we simply can't just take them to an ambulance and remove them as this would make the less knowledgeable souls remove the bodies without consent.
Maybe nerf it, yes. But it's a bit silly to remove it completely.

Reaction score
To make it more realistic there should still be some ability to identify how the person died, being able to see if they were hit with a blunt object, shot with a specific type of firearm by identifying the bullet which hit them, identifying the colour of car that hit them by looking for small fragments of the paint on the victim etc.

To make it even more in depth the cars brakes could be checked to see if they braked when the victim was hit but that's extremely excessive lol.

Reaction score
+support,
I don't tend to listen to Bring Me The Horizon and cut my self whilst loading my magazines, so I can't really see how constable Trevor can find out my full name and appearance by pointing a ghetto rigged revolver at a corpse.

Reaction score
I admit it is flawed but what else do we currently have that will work apart from good old police instinct which is not possible due to lack of evidence.

Detective is still in the works but we have no idea how that will work. However if you want to know realistic evidence here you go.

Bullet rifling that is unique to every weapon making it easy to identify the weapon.

Gun Shot Residue is very hard to clean off and you get sprayed with it if you fire a weapon, a chemical can reveal traces of a weapon recently fired.

Blood stains can be revealed by ultra violet light, UV light is also good if you want to know if someone has had fun in your bed.

Serial numbers provide information on who bought the gun but can be filed off.

Fingerprints everyone has them unless they wear gloves. Everyone knows about them will not go into detail.

Bullet trajectory is tricky to figure out unless you have a picture of what may happen. Figuring out where the shots came from can help figure out what happened but it can be mistaken if not careful.

Will provide alot more advanced detective stuff in another post but you get the point.

Reaction score
Although I agree that the DNA scanner is very OP, without it cops would have pretty much no solid evidence to charge someone with murder, unless it is witnessed first hand by a government employee or dispatcher on cctv. At the moment when you get arrested and interrogated for murder people will always say "have you got DNA on me?" or "Did you see me murder him?" and if they didn't it can be extremely difficult for cops to build up a case or even get any evidence at all to charge the suspect especially if the cops (Which a good 50% of the time they are) are fairly incompetent.

Reaction score
+/- neutral
There is an database which states all Information of the citizens, which means, finger print, male or female, Name, face. Yes it is OP but IRL you would have something like this too.

Reaction score
+ support IF there come a criminal database which functions properly and it will also include DNA scanner for people (so put your fingers on it), by death their profile completely gets removed, unless thought otherwise and way more other things about the criminal database.

This will be a big project and not done from one to another...

Reaction score
nerfing the scanner -> cops having no power -> drug growing rp ( i know it already is but even more so)

M

Reaction score
The DNA scanner I believe is representative of an investigation into a crime, since obviously in GMOD the only other mechanics that allow you to investigate are the accounts of other players, their pictures, CCTV, circumstances and interrogation. As much as this can be done to an extent, you are limited by the fact that there's very little else in the form of evidence, and on a gamemode where the police are constantly being called it would be near impossible to keep up on investigations.

Going back to what I said initially, about the scanning process being representative, I do agree that it should work off a more complex algorithm. For example, a DNA sample could be extracted and then considered to be pending. Depending on various circumstances surrounding the kill, the process of investigation could take a while (therefore somehow rewarding people who take the time to, for example, covertly kill someone with few bystanders/NPCs around) and the results eventually reach the police supervisor with a result.

All this is, is an extension of the time that it would take; retaining the functionality of the scanner but being more reasonably representative.