Rule Changes (08/06/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, the rules need a massive overhaul and these additions to road crew are just adding to that need for an overhaul. Although I should state that I wouldn't disagree with the external transaction rules, and wouldn't necessarily agree with the sexual roleplay rules.

4.4 (a, b)
Why should a road crew worker be punished externally from the roleplay situation for entering a crime scene, repairing a vehicle involved with crime, or doing something deemed illegal/antisocial? Surely it should just be law enforcement's responsibility to warn them or arrest them if necessary, or is it unrealistically and physically impossible for them to do this due to coded restrictions in the gamemode?

I feel like rules like this strip the free-will from players and dilute roleplay massively. We all saw the requests to remove the section of 4.4 that read "Road Crew Workers must at all times remain within the impound lot, unless responding to a call out via the /roadcrew function." but the rule adjustment seems more like a half-measure and could be removed entirely if gameplay was less restricted by strictly-coded 'rules.'

I think most importantly, however, that the rules must certainly drive away new players. Imagine being required to read a 5,582 word document detailing things you can't
do in this supposedly o4yllez.png(no intent to be disrespectful here - just trying to be humorous). I've written less for final essays during schooling. Sometimes less is more, and I personally feel this is especially the case with rules in roleplay servers. Less work for administrative personnel, which requires less said-personnel, and less power needed to be split amongst individuals who are only human and can most definitely make mistakes or bad decisions which we have undeniably seen in the past.

Imagine an environment where we don't have to learn to recite, recollect, or lookup rules before performing almost any action in a roleplay world. Roleplay would be simpler, and just straightforwardly more fun for the player. Especially for those of us who are 9-5'ers (or 7-7 in my case), who don't get much time to play and focusing on following the rules becomes more of a chore and completely beclouds gameplay.

I understand some may disagree with me and say that the rules in question help preserve gameplay for those who want to roleplay well and helps prevent "minging," but I can almost guarantee that any rule that exists can have a direct replacement with either a coded feature or a reasonably roleplayable response. What do you do if a road crew worker illegally repairs a vehicle or enters a crime scene? You arrest him, you get him fired, you roleplay - it just adds so much value in a roleplay environment for players to have that power and free-will to do exactly what they think makes sense to do.

tl;dr - here

Thank you.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. I don't know you personally and your experience, but I think your point of view is coming from only ever knowing rules.

I don't remember saying too much free-will dilutes gameplay. However, not enough free-will does undoubtedly dilute gameplay. It is really quite simple; you're not allowed to do things, so there are less things for you to do. 'Containing' an incident isn't hard and is absolutely roleplayable. I presume you're referring to a mass-RDM or something similar. That is also simple - the police deal with it. The police can't deal with it? Then its, like you said, absolute anarchy. Absolutely nothing unrealistic about that.

Like you said; terms and conditions, rules and such. Basic conduct rules are appropriate in this case. Terms and conditions are unrelated to roleplay. Countries have laws, not rules. When I moved to the US, did I read every single law my new Country, State, County, and City has in place to prevent crime? No - that is simple because all of the laws that you'd need to adhere to on a day-to-day basis are common sense - don't murder, don't rob people. What about if I'm thinking about buying, say, a knife? I'd read up local laws that apply to me in this not-so day-to-day situation. This is where ignorance of the law comes in - it makes you want to look-up specific laws to avoid punishment through a justice system, or the police in-game in this case.

I completely understand what you're saying regarding rules that prevent repetitive tasks for police like the example you made. However, it's just a massive contradiction to the whole argument in the first place. Law enforcement aren't there to conduct raids on drug lords 24/7, their job is to uphold the law and every aspect of it, even if that means dealing with a trespass on a crime scene. Road crew workers who don't want to spent their game time in jail won't trespass in a obviously 'mingy' annoying way.

Honestly, the whole rules vs no rules argument can be solved with deterrence. People won't do annoying things that the rules are there to prevent due the consequences of their actions, and the few exceptions where that slips through is comparable to that of real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.