Server Suggestion Use item icons instead of item models in the Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Use item icons instead of item models in the Inventory
Suggestion Description: The inventory and shop menus currently use 3D models of each item they depict. This is great for showing the immediate state of an item, but bad for performance. Example: I stand at the Beach looking into the water with 200 FPS. I open my inventory, and it drops to 127 FPS.

Why should this be added?:
- Performance benefits

What negatives could this have?:
- Time consuming
- Less ease of displaying an item's state

What problem would this suggestion solve?: FPS drop when opening your inventory or talking to a shop NPC.

Reaction score
-78 fps for 3d items is insane

I'm not sure I noticed that being an issue for me personally but It's a good idea. I think a checkbox toggle to switch between 2d icons or 3d models would be ideal since that gives the player the choice between graphics or performance.

Reaction score
There are currently 672 different entities that would need custom icons. This does not include every possible combination of weapon, stock and sight you could have. Is the huge amount of development time this would take (not just now, but with everything we add in the future), worth getting more frames in a menu, where you realistically don't need it?

Reaction score
There are currently 672 different entities that would need custom icons. This does not include every possible combination of weapon, stock and sight you could have. Is the huge amount of development time this would take (not just now, but with everything we add in the future), worth getting more frames in a menu, where you realistically don't need it?
Additionally.. What would the icons for guns look like as they have a large amount of customizations...

Reaction score
Additionally.. What would the icons for guns look like as they have a large amount of customizations...
Could solve it with having a small icon indicating what kind of attachment is already on. A letter would also work.

If this would be implemented I'd prefer it to be optional. Not really something impactful either way, you're looking inside your inventory for like 3 seconds maximum.

Reaction score

What he means is:

Not worth the time

Status
Not open for further replies.